Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Trans won’t Manually Shift. 2012

Old 11-03-2017, 04:15 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Hard to think he flat out lied. Background would seem honest. Did he have a manual tranny? That's the 1 thing I can think of..... He just didn't know, thought he had 3.73,but manually tranny allows it. Doesn't work like that with the auto though. If jeep actually has diff gearing than what the computer thinks, you have an issue.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like BS but I'd pop the cover and count the teeth.....

on the other hand you can play musical chairs with gears, tire sizes and the perceived gear ratio to make it look sort of ok to the computer. But I still can't get over how you can't know what gear ratio you have underneath your rig - you saw issues from the getgo.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kejtar
It sounds like BS but I'd pop the cover and count the teeth.....

on the other hand you can play musical chairs with gears, tire sizes and the perceived gear ratio to make it look sort of ok to the computer. But I still can't get over how you can't know what gear ratio you have underneath your rig - you saw issues from the getgo.
How many teeth should it have? I didn’t want to pull the cover and buy new fluid just to check gear ratio. I plan to put my poison spyder diff cover on the rear tomorrow anyway though so I can count them then.

Let me know how many teeth 3.21 and 3.73 have and I will count them.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gnarly_mike
How many teeth should it have? I didn’t want to pull the cover and buy new fluid just to check gear ratio. I plan to put my poison spyder diff cover on the rear tomorrow anyway though so I can count them then.

Let me know how many teeth 3.21 and 3.73 have and I will count them.
The more I think about it, I believe that you need to count both because you might have a front and rear mismatch to top it all off....

D44
https://www.justdifferentials.com/D4...4jk-321-oe.htm
https://www.justdifferentials.com/D4...4jk-373-oe.htm

D30
https://www.justdifferentials.com/D3...0jk-321-oe.htm
https://www.justdifferentials.com/D3...0jk-373-oe.htm
Old 11-04-2017, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

So it’s definitely 3.21. I retuned it last night/this morning to 3.73 and it went back into the limp mode that it was in prior to me tuning it to 3.21.

Also the guy said he has an automatic. So he was just straight up lying to me about them being 3.73.

He just didn’t want to admit complicity about it. He knew the whole time they were 3.21 and sold them to me as what I needed so he could get them gone. What a low down POS. If he has an automatic (his is a 2014 or 2015) then there is no way on God’s green earth that he ran a 3.73 tune on the axles and it drove normally. He is lying his rat ass off because he’s trying to cover for his first lie he told which was that the axles were 3.73 when he knew they were 3.21. That sh!t pisses me the F*CK off.

Now I’m faced with how and whether or not to confront him about it. Since he’s pretending he is oblivious and that he thought they were what he said, it won’t go well.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Told him they are 3.21 and he says “wow idk how that worked on mine”

Such a liar. He also said wow the first time he told me he was running a 3.73 tune. That’s his tell. He says wow before his sentence when he’s not surprised. What a POS.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

So here's the deal. I have a '12 and it came stock with 3.21's. The 3.73's were the upgrade option. Not sure where you want to leave things at but I would have not paid $1K for 3.21 axles. When I did 4.11's I think I paid altogether $700 or less for parts but then I had low miles and could reuse the bearings.

It's sad when a jeeper takes advantage of a fellow jeeper...
Old 11-04-2017, 08:44 PM
JK Super Freak

So here's the deal. I have a '12 and it came stock with 3.21's. The 3.73's were the upgrade option. Not sure where you want to leave things at but I would have not paid $1K for 3.21 axles. When I did 4.11's I think I paid altogether $700 or less for parts but then I had low miles and could reuse the bearings. It's sad when a jeeper takes advantage of a fellow jeeper...
Truth there. I paid $600 for the complete set of Yukon Gears and master instal kits. Labor is usually $400-600 to install them.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

So here's the deal. I have a '12 and it came stock with 3.21's. The 3.73's were the upgrade option. Not sure where you want to leave things at but I would have not paid $1K for 3.21 axles. When I did 4.11's I think I paid altogether $700 or less for parts but then I had low miles and could reuse the bearings.

It's sad when a jeeper takes advantage of a fellow jeeper...
Mine is a 2012 and had the tow package so I had 3.73 stock. I wouldn’t have bought them period if I knew they were 3.21. I would’ve just bought gears and bearings and races and seals and gear oil and a tuner and reset the gears. Resetting the gears was what I wanted to avoid, plus I didn’t see the point in buying aftermarket stuff when I’m building axles.

I could’ve spent around $900 total and just redone my stock axles but I wanted to just do an easy swap and spent an extra $100 or so for what I was told were 3.73 axles. Now I have two housings laying around that are taking space and will be extremely difficult to sell with blown out gears.

F*ck that lying POS. He isn’t gonna give me shit back. He’s playing dumb and will make ME out to be the asshole and spread it locally around our jeep club that I’m the prick when he knows exactly what he did in reality. There’s a special place in hell for people like him and I so hope he goes.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

well unless you really are a prick not sure how he can make you out to be the prick to your local jeep club unless of course your local jeep club is also a bunch of pricks and who would want to belong to club full of pricks. Take him to small claims court make him uncomfortable to say the least.

Quick Reply: Auto Trans won’t Manually Shift. 2012