Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic to Manual transmission swap

Old 01-04-2014, 05:03 AM
JSS
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ruby Tuesday
And a tranny
Yes trans, petals, wiring, clutch, console, master, slave cly, trans mount, I think that is it? But you will need to get a new computer for a Manuel trans Jeep and the wiring for the backup lights. (from the TIPM to the ABS)
Old 01-04-2014, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a headache lol
Old 01-04-2014, 04:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been interested in swapping to a auto
The following users liked this post:
RED 8P (12-10-2022)
Old 01-04-2014, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have been looking at switching to an auto also. Where are you located? I have an 07 also, and I put in a new clutch a few months back. I figured if you could find someone to do an even swap with the cost would be minimal. It would all be labor which I'd be more than happy to do
Old 06-07-2022, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tysteggs
Hey guys I have an automatic transmission in my 2007 jeep jk and really want a manual. How difficult and expensive do you guys think this would be to do if i'm currently running a 5 speed auto and want a 6 speed manual?

Sorry for bring up a dead form!! But 6 months ago i researched everything I could on what I needed for a auto to manual swap!! I blew up my automatic and found a 6 speed nsg370. All in all spent $2500!

Everything needed
Harness from TIPM to PCM from a manual for slave cylinder wiring
Manual transmission wire harness from same year
PCM flash at dealer or just ground out yellow/blue wire on connector 4 on PCM like I did
clutch pedal and rod to hold it with clips
Flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, flywheel bolts, pilot bearing

everything else like
Drivelines, trans mount t-case all bolt right up!!
Bloodjeep (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 08:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Infantile
Sorry for bring up a dead form!! But 6 months ago i researched everything I could on what I needed for a auto to manual swap!! I blew up my automatic and found a 6 speed nsg370. All in all spent $2500!

Everything needed
Harness from TIPM to PCM from a manual for slave cylinder wiring
Manual transmission wire harness from same year
PCM flash at dealer or just ground out yellow/blue wire on connector 4 on PCM like I did
clutch pedal and rod to hold it with clips
Flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, flywheel bolts, pilot bearing

everything else like
Drivelines, trans mount t-case all bolt right up!!
Do you have any more info on the swap you did? I have been dying to have this done on my 09' for years I would love to finally have a 6 speed over the 5spd auto
LoganRyStar (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

I know this is older, but has anyone done this and have a definite list of everything needed and what kind of labor/time it took? I have a 2015 JKU that I am really wanting to do a auto to manual swap. My biggest question is the electrical and wiring needed. I assume that and the ECM and wiring would be the biggest headache. I believe you need to flash/program the same year and model of the vehicle you have. Not sure if your current ECM can be reused or not. Any information helps. TIA

Last edited by LoganRyStar; 04-10-2023 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-11-2023, 05:00 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by JSS
We have the swap parts, for about $1500.00. We have done it many times, the only thing you will need to buy is the wiring from the TIPM to the ABS for a Manuel and a Computer NEW.
Takes about a day to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Tuesday
And a tranny
Yes trans, petals, wiring, clutch, console, master, slave cly, trans mount, I think that is it? But you will need to get a new computer for a Manuel trans Jeep and the wiring for the backup lights. (from the TIPM to the ABS)

reminds my of the old steve Martin movie “the jerk “ All I need is ….., oh, and …., oh and ….. oh and ….

Old 04-17-2023, 05:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Infantile
Sorry for bring up a dead form!! But 6 months ago i researched everything I could on what I needed for a auto to manual swap!! I blew up my automatic and found a 6 speed nsg370. All in all spent $2500! Everything neededHarness from TIPM to PCM from a manual for slave cylinder wiringManual transmission wire harness from same yearPCM flash at dealer or just ground out yellow/blue wire on connector 4 on PCM like I didclutch pedal and rod to hold it with clipsFlywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, flywheel bolts, pilot bearing everything else likeDrivelines, trans mount t-case all bolt right up!!
​​​​​​​are there 2 wiring harnesses needed? I thought you only needed the 1 harness from TIPM to ABS? Is there another I'm not aware of? Thanks!
Old 04-12-2024, 09:22 PM
JK Newbie

I know this is an old thread, but I have a question. I’m looking at buying a JK Rubicon and was thinking I wanted an automatic transmission. After reading through these comments, I’m wondering if I would be better off with a manual. Typically the majority of my off roading is Moab and occasionally the rubicon trail. I grew up driving stick cars, but I was concerned about the clutch on steep long climbs. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Automatic to Manual transmission swap