Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auxiliary fuel tank where muffler resides

Old 05-18-2017, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auxiliary fuel tank where muffler resides

Has anyone replaced the stock resonator with a muffler, dumped the tailpipe in front of rear tire, and freed up the stock muffler location for an aux fuel tank? It looks like there is ample space for 15 gallons or so. Would require a good skid plate.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Not sure if this applies to your use case or not but I believe in many places it is required that the exhaust exit behind the passenger compartment of the vehicle. I believe I have seen some places designate this as having to exit behind the rear axle.

Obviously this wouldn't matter when off road and would be less of a problem if your location doesn't require inspections.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:17 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

genright makes one for that spot.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MarkY3130
Not sure if this applies to your use case or not but I believe in many places it is required that the exhaust exit behind the passenger compartment of the vehicle. I believe I have seen some places designate this as having to exit behind the rear axle.

Obviously this wouldn't matter when off road and would be less of a problem if your location doesn't require inspections.
Not that I would publicly advocate for lying in inspections, but one theoretically could very easily make an exhaust extension that passes below the axle out the back that is removable and functional for street use.

Many people, including myself (no inspections where I'm at), dump before the axle and have never had any issue with exhaust fumes. The JK burns really clean, the only time you smell anything at all is right when starting before the cats are warmed up.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carbon Monoxide is odorless, tasteless. And Deadly.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

Dumping out the back isn't that tricky, including shielding heat but I wouldn't want to get into the departure angle. I was mostly looking for prebuilt tank. The suggestions really helped. Thanks all. BTW, 2000'ish F150's dumped exhaust just in front of rear tire, looked dumb but one would presume it is legal.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by James.stalnaker
Dumping out the back isn't that tricky, including shielding heat but I wouldn't want to get into the departure angle. I was mostly looking for prebuilt tank. The suggestions really helped. Thanks all. BTW, 2000'ish F150's dumped exhaust just in front of rear tire, looked dumb but one would presume it is legal.
Legal because it dumps after the passenger cabin
Old 05-30-2017, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gen-Right Off-road makes the tank you're looking for.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by christensent
The JK burns really clean, the only time you smell anything at all is right when starting before the cats are warmed up.
As Four Low stated - Carbon Monoxide is odorless, tasteless. So 'burns really clean' doesn't mean a thing.

Quick Reply: Auxiliary fuel tank where muffler resides