Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle changed, noticing new noises and shimmy

Old 10-28-2017, 04:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tightdog
You said you trussed it, are you sure the truss isn't making contact with anything when you hit a big bump. A truss and no lift seems like it could be a tight fit. Just a thought. I've been diagnosing a host of new sounds after my axle swap so I feel your pain. Good luck.
This^^ and check your tires are balanced.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Tightdog
You said you trussed it, are you sure the truss isn't making contact with anything when you hit a big bump. A truss and no lift seems like it could be a tight fit. Just a thought. I've been diagnosing a host of new sounds after my axle swap so I feel your pain. Good luck.
Dang Tightdog you nailed it. Truss is hitting left frame saw a fresh mark on it. It has a small mark on the lower oil pan forward lip too. It's not been thankfully smacking into the oil pan, more grazing, but will grind the truss in that area when I get to work Monday.

I didn't road test it today after loosening the control arms, jumping on the bumpers and retorquing them to specs. Will update after a road test.

Hopefully others can can learn from this. Got truss? Get lift. Well after this diagnosis perhaps Santa will come early with the Skyjacker kit.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Well, glad it was an easy diagnosis. If you have time, snap a pic. I'm curious what that clearance looks like at stock height. Hadn't even thought about that.

Quick Reply: Axle changed, noticing new noises and shimmy