Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle Swap Rear to Front

Old 04-21-2011, 12:28 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xtreme 4x4

Originally Posted by Nickit1981
bingo... unless he can weld and fab like no other...
Or Ian Johnson from Xtreme 4x4. He took a 14-bolt cut it up, reversed it and made it a steering axle on the front of one of the projects.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

A few years ago on extreme 4x4 i saw a kit that used a rear 14 bolt and turned it into a fully functional front steering axle. I dont think there is such a thing for the d 44 however.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OhhSeven
Or Ian Johnson from Xtreme 4x4. He took a 14-bolt cut it up, reversed it and made it a steering axle on the front of one of the projects.
Damn he beat me by a few seconds.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds like a headache and a money pit. Ill go a with the easy fix... D44 in the front and be done with it.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OhhSeven
hes one of the few capable.. and willing to try. I wouldnt buy one from some guy who made it in his garage. now.. some of the bumpers ive seen on here.. thats a different story.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

To answer the question. Yes it can be done. But no it should not be done.your setting yourself up foir failure with that. The ring and pinion would rotate backwards, they would oil the bearings and gear properly, axle tubes could be replaced, lots if time grinding and welding to make the knuckles work. Have to get the caster just right. Possibility yoy could use stock rubi axle shafts but more than likely you'd need custom shafts made....
There's tons more stuff to consider but bottom line is sometimes what seems cheap st first will realty cost in the end. Don't do it but a rubi take out our a pro built front axle.
Just my
Old 04-21-2011, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Has anyone here thought to take a quick look under their Jeep?! The diff housing for the front axle is offset to the driver's side where the rear axle is centered. The front axle would hit the oil pan! What Shulz081 asking is absolutely impossible. Sorry bud.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Koloradokid
Has anyone here thought to take a quick look under their Jeep?! The diff housing for the front axle is offset to the driver's side where the rear axle is centered. The front axle would hit the oil pan! What Shulz081 asking is absolutely impossible. Sorry bud.
The placement of the center section of the housing could easily be rectified by removing tge stock tubes and moving the diff where you want it then add the ridht lenght tube on each side. If the center section was foir the front it could be done. I've bbuilt custom axles for my cj 5. Time money and lots of measuring will get it done.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
We had this same discussion about 2 weeks ago.
My exact thought after reading the title.
But on to the point. Is it possible? YES!! But your knowledge of welding, suspension angles, angle of the knucles, gears, and 1000 other thiungs, needs to be so abundant that you would already know the answer to this question. So if you really want to do this, you better know a VERY smart and VERY skilled person willing to work for VERY cheap. Or just save up and by a ProRock-much easier.

Quick Reply: Axle Swap Rear to Front