Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back tires are rubbing on wheel well.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Back tires are rubbing on wheel well.

When I am in the high country and going over obstacles, but Jeep flexes and my rear tires rub in the wheel well. I have 37 in tires. I have a Rubicon Express 3.5 inch lift kit installed. I am wondering if I need to swap out the springs for stiffer springs to prevent the Jeep from compressing so much. Sometimes I am only moving at a couple of miles per hour and I still rub. I have on the Rancho 9000 shocks. The adjustable ones. I was thinking to change to Fox Shox 2.0 with reservoir.

I have recently added Dynatrac 44/60 with ARB lockers front and rear. I also added an Atlas transfer case. I rub so hard that I am afraid to try the big stuff that my Jeep is ready for.

Any thoughts????

-John
Old 09-02-2017, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by prelucir
When I am in the high country and going over obstacles, but Jeep flexes and my rear tires rub in the wheel well. I have 37 in tires. I have a Rubicon Express 3.5 inch lift kit installed. I am wondering if I need to swap out the springs for stiffer springs to prevent the Jeep from compressing so much. Sometimes I am only moving at a couple of miles per hour and I still rub. I have on the Rancho 9000 shocks. The adjustable ones. I was thinking to change to Fox Shox 2.0 with reservoir.

I have recently added Dynatrac 44/60 with ARB lockers front and rear. I also added an Atlas transfer case. I rub so hard that I am afraid to try the big stuff that my Jeep is ready for.

Any thoughts????

-John
- Where exactly are you rubbing?

- Are you rubbing one or both sides? One side implies the axle isn't in alignment.

- If it's both sides, then do you have your bumpstop set correctly?

- What's the backspacing of the wheels you're using?
Old 09-02-2017, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My two thoughts would be first pinch seam needs to be trimmed and second is bump stops. I recently switched to 37s and I had to trim a lot off the pinch seam area to get the rubbing to stop. Longer bump stops also will keep you from rubbing. You might also try adjustable control arms if your rear axle isn't quite centered.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:19 AM
JK Freak

Thanks guys. I had the rear axle checked by a cat that does front and rear alignments. I am not home or I would take a photo and show you the rub.

The pinch seam was trimmed. The rubbing then sounded more plastic vs. metal. I trimmed down the plastic wheel well insert just above the pinch seam. The rubbing is now on the plastic above the pinch seam on both sides and appears equal. I can see rub marks from where I trimmed off the plastic, just above the pinch seam, and up about 4-5 inches on the plastic. I have stock bump stops.

I am not sure what the back spacing is on my rims. Nor do I know how to measure it.

Thanks again.

-John
Old 09-02-2017, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

It's likely bumpstop then if you're still running stock bumpstop in the rear.

Are your wheels stock rims?
Old 09-02-2017, 12:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jedg
It's likely bumpstop then if you're still running stock bumpstop in the rear.

Are your wheels stock rims?

I have a set of moto metals. There is much more clearance on them vs. stock.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

You need more bump stop or cut off what is rubbing. Not knowing exactly how you are set up and seeing the suspension flexed out it is hard to dial in what you really need.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock bumpstops and 37's is going to be a big problem. Pretty much a no go without trimming a bunch of the tub, not just the pinch seem like 35's. Typically if you have stock fenders you would use an amount of bumpstop roughly equal to your lift height.

Your lift should have come with bumpstops. I suggest you install them and go from there.

Last edited by Biginboca; 09-03-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:32 AM
JK Freak

I have to agree, I think it's the bump stops that are my problem. I tried to figure out how to post a photo from my phone, but I was unsuccessful. Thank you to everybody who gave me their opinion. I now have an idea what direction to go in.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The metalcloak adjustable bump stops are nice

Quick Reply: Back tires are rubbing on wheel well.