Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backspacing conflict for 37" tires with Metal Cloak 3.5" Game Changer Rocksport

Old 10-11-2017, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You should be fine at 3.5" back spacing.
Thank you sir!!
Old 10-11-2017, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel Anza wheel backspacing

Originally Posted by japatton@icloud.com
So, I currently have 17†Fuel Anza wheels with 3.5†backspacing. ......
Which wheel do you actually have? According to the Fuel website:
D557 Anza is a 15" series with 3.75 backspacing
D558 Anza is a 15" series with 3.75 backspacing
D583 Anza is a 17" series with either 4.50 or 5.0 backspacing
D116 Anza is a 17" series with 4.50 backspacing. This is a beadlock wheel.

I could not find the wheel your are describing.

KG6SLC aka Eugene
Old 10-11-2017, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default OK, restating my original question another way.

Is anyone out there running 37" tires without either beadlocks or spacers. If so what wheels do you have.

Is anyone out there running wheels that have less than 4.5" backspacing? I'm finding my options are (extremely) limited. It seems that wheel manufactures have not kept pace with the larger tire options that are now available.

I drive this vehicle on the street to work so must have DOT approved wheels.

KG6SLC aka Eugene
Old 10-11-2017, 11:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by KG6SLC
Is anyone out there running 37" tires without either beadlocks or spacers. If so what wheels do you have.

Is anyone out there running wheels that have less than 4.5" backspacing? I'm finding my options are (extremely) limited. It seems that wheel manufactures have not kept pace with the larger tire options that are now available.

I drive this vehicle on the street to work so must have DOT approved wheels.

KG6SLC aka Eugene
Most of what you find dipping down below 4.5" BS is going to be getting in to beadlocks. I have 17" Fuel Boost wheels and run a 37x12.5x17 Nitto Trail Grappler. It's do able. 2-3 washers in a steering stop and you'll be ok. I have Ace inner fender liners, and under full flex, they'd rub just enough to create some scratches. Mind you....jsut lightly scratching my nice powder coat....not bending em in. You might rub a little paint off your front body mount, and a little at your frame, but you're not going to be binding up real bad or anything. Now, it's not perfect.....you ideally want less BS. My wheels are all scrapped up now and not worth resale. I sources a set of Spidertrax for cheap and now use them, netting 3" BS. I'm not a huge fan of spacers, but it's budget friendly for now.

So....if push comes to shove, 4.5" and a 12.5" wide tire will be fine on the road, and offroad it's functional although not ideal. I drove and wheeled hard easily for a year just like that. I wish I had just bought beadlocks with 3.5" BS to begin with

edit - i should add i'm on 3.5" lift and fenderless.....just for the record as a lot of these comparisons are apples to oranges.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by KG6SLC
Which wheel do you actually have? According to the Fuel website:
D557 Anza is a 15" series with 3.75 backspacing
D558 Anza is a 15" series with 3.75 backspacing
D583 Anza is a 17" series with either 4.50 or 5.0 backspacing
D116 Anza is a 17" series with 4.50 backspacing. This is a beadlock wheel.

I could not find the wheel your are describing.

KG6SLC aka Eugene
The D557 if I remember correctly.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

On the offchance you start to consider a 15 or 16" wheel, bear in mind you'll eliminate any big brake kit as a potential upgrade along the line.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
On the offchance you start to consider a 15 or 16" wheel, bear in mind you'll eliminate any big brake kit as a potential upgrade along the line.
I meant D558, sorry for the confusion...
Old 10-11-2017, 07:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We live in SoCal and have bead locks for 4 years now and use the Jeep as a DD too. It is technical not DOT but never had any issues.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Beadlocks and CHP

Originally Posted by 4x4chick
We live in SoCal and have bead locks for 4 years now and use the Jeep as a DD too. It is technical not DOT but never had any issues.
Quite honestly, if I lived in your area I would chance it. I live in L.A. County and the Calif. Highway Profit center rigidly monitors around where I live and where I work. Let me give you an example. Where I work recently underwent a name change. One of our work trucks actually received a citation for having the CA number belonging to the old company name (which was still posted on the door as we had not yet received our new number). This occurred while we were still in the process of obtaining a new CA number.

If one gets cited it is now like buying a house to pay the ticket with all of the additional "fees" tacked on. They don't call California the "Golden State" for nothing. The state earns that reputation.

Thanks for the heads up though.

KG6SLC aka Eugene

Last edited by KG6SLC; 10-12-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Backspacing conflict for 37" tires with Metal Cloak 3.5" Game Changer Rocksport