Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backspacing That Still Fits Stock Spare Mount

Old 04-28-2010, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backspacing That Still Fits Stock Spare Mount

I didn't find anything specific about this in the search bar.

I'm curious to know what is the minimum amount of backspacing allowable on a wheel to have it still rest correctly on the stock spare tire mount so that I won't run any risk of warping the tail-gate as I've heard some people mention. I'm planning on running 255/85R16s without a lift (stock suspension with JKS Quicker Disconnects). Originally I thought I would run them on my stock 16x7" wheels with 6.25" back-spacing, but I measured yesterday at full-lock on the steering and looked as though the larger diameter/ slightly wider tires would rub on the sway bar at full-lock with the stock 6.25" backspacing. I thought I might just through some Spidertrax spacers on there, but, despite how highly everyone speaks of them, I don't think I want to go that route. So, now I'm thinking of upgrading to new wheels with more backspacing. 1.25" less back-spacing would probably do the trick and I've found $70 Cragars that have a 5x5 pattern, 7" width and 5" backspacing, but being able to mount on to the factory spare tire mount is a deal-breaker for me.

If anybody can help me out with this, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Super2
I didn't find anything specific about this in the search bar.

I'm curious to know what is the minimum amount of backspacing allowable on a wheel to have it still rest correctly on the stock spare tire mount so that I won't run any risk of warping the tail-gate as I've heard some people mention. I'm planning on running 255/85R16s without a lift (stock suspension with JKS Quicker Disconnects). Originally I thought I would run them on my stock 16x7" wheels with 6.25" back-spacing, but I measured yesterday at full-lock on the steering and looked as though the larger diameter/ slightly wider tires would rub on the sway bar at full-lock with the stock 6.25" backspacing. I thought I might just through some Spidertrax spacers on there, but, despite how highly everyone speaks of them, I don't think I want to go that route. So, now I'm thinking of upgrading to new wheels with more backspacing. 1.25" less back-spacing would probably do the trick and I've found $70 Cragars that have a 5x5 pattern, 7" width and 5" backspacing, but being able to mount on to the factory spare tire mount is a deal-breaker for me.

If anybody can help me out with this, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

That shouldn't be a problem at all. The only thing you may/will need to do is buy some new tailgate bumpstops because the stock ones probably won't work on the new wheel set up.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

Ok, great! One follow-up nOOb question: any idea where I can find bigger bump-stops?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:54 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Super2
Ok, great! One follow-up nOOb question: any idea where I can find bigger bump-stops?
Yup, right here: http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...d=DS-KJ09144BK
Old 04-28-2010, 06:58 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Robar
LOL!! ya beat me to it
Old 04-30-2010, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Backspacing That Still Fits Stock Spare Mount