Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ball Joint Help.. Experience and Advice needed.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball Joint Help.. Experience and Advice needed.

Hey guys... So i have a 2014 2 door Rubicon, 20k miles, go wheeling at least twice per month. Running 37 with 3.5" Backspacing wheels. I am going to go ahead and buy some ball joints because i know these stockers will not last forever.... especially with my wheeling habits. I am looking at either the Synergy Ball Joints or the Dynatrac Prosteer Ball joints. Obviously the Synergys are about $200 and the Dynatracs are about $520. Are the Dynatracs that much stronger and worth the extra $300, i mean im not running 40s and ramping hills, but it does get a little hairy sometimes. Just thoughts from people with experience i guess would help. Thanks
Old 10-18-2017, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If you're looking at the Dynatracs then you should be looking at the Rare Parts as well. The synergy won't be on the same level as either of those. You'll see plenty of good and bad with the synergy joints from folks with 35's......37's sounds like a bad idea. I can't complain though, I keep mine greased and the 35's are playing nicely with them.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
If you're looking at the Dynatracs then you should be looking at the Rare Parts as well. The synergy won't be on the same level as either of those. You'll see plenty of good and bad with the synergy joints from folks with 35's......37's sounds like a bad idea. I can't complain though, I keep mine greased and the 35's are playing nicely with them.
Damn man... those are high$$$$. Do you think those hold up better than the Dynatracs?
Old 10-19-2017, 02:47 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

That's a question better posed to Fusion4x4- they sell the Rare Parts and it wouldn't surprise me if they have experience with the Dyna's.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP, i was fortunate in my last JK that i didn't have to replace my ball joints. but, what i personally have decided on my new JKU is to either replace with Synergy and hope I luck out or replace with Rare Parts. to me Rare Parts and Dynatrac are so close in price that at that level i want something that is actually bringing new tech to the table. RPs does that. plus, i have read plenty of people running Dynatrac having to rebuild every year and its not easy.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Completely agree with Karl here. I would suggest that with your build and style, go ahead and get really nice BJs.....either Dyna or RP. Both have excellent customer service. The RP has a nice design that spreads some of the load to the top BJ. I had Synergy and they crapped out in less than a year. They warrantied em, and the ones they sent me were bad out of the box! When I got the 3rd set I cut my losses, sold em, and went Dyna. Had a buddy that installed RP and they are very nice. Neither of those options are ever discounted....although the price of the RPs fluctuate more from site to site. If choosing today, I'd prob take RP based on the design.....but I've never really seen anyone say anything bad about either....cept for the price tag.

If you just can't bring yourself to spend that much money, I'd look at the Teraflex over Synergy. Maybe try 1 set considering the cost difference, and if they fail then make the jump to the next price threshold. IDK....I got tired of doing that labor. I made sure the 3rd time within a year was gonna be the last time for a while.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can reply on behalf of Fusion 4x4, and I can give my own perspective on the Dynatracs. I replaced my ball joints just over a year ago and at the time, the Rare Parts ball joints were on backorder so I went with Dynatrac. What a mistake. I checked them 13 months after purchase and they were sloppy loose and had up and down play (I did the pry bar under the tire test). Sadly, the warranty on the Dynatrac ball joints is one year... and here I was at 13 months. I emailed, called, emailed, called... trying to get anyone to talk to. Took nearly a week to get anyone on the phone from them. They claim their stuff is "the best" so I wanted to know if they'd make good on that despite being out of the warranty period. In the end, yes, they did make good on their claim and they sent me a ball joint rebuild kit free of charge. Fundamentally... rebuilding my ball joints once a year is not something I want to do.

I guess I should point out, I'm on 37s and my Jeep is not daily driven. So in one year's time it had 1000 miles put on it. Many wheeling trips, but very very few road miles.

The last I heard from Rare Parts, when asked about the durability of their ball joints, their response was "I dare you to wear them out". Their customer service is fantastic and so far they have not reported any failures of their ball joints.

If you are considering the $500 type of price point, skip the Dynatracs. Go with Rare Parts. You won't be disappointed. And give Fusion 4x4 a call to get a price.

Synergy... honestly... anyone I know running those replaces them once a year. No better than OEM. And by the way, pressing ball joints in and out repeatedly will eventually weaken the interference fit of the ball joint in the inner C. It's not a job you want to do over and over because the ball joint fit will degrade over time.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
I can reply on behalf of Fusion 4x4, and I can give my own perspective on the Dynatracs. I replaced my ball joints just over a year ago and at the time, the Rare Parts ball joints were on backorder so I went with Dynatrac. What a mistake. I checked them 13 months after purchase and they were sloppy loose and had up and down play (I did the pry bar under the tire test). Sadly, the warranty on the Dynatrac ball joints is one year... and here I was at 13 months. I emailed, called, emailed, called... trying to get anyone to talk to. Took nearly a week to get anyone on the phone from them. They claim their stuff is "the best" so I wanted to know if they'd make good on that despite being out of the warranty period. In the end, yes, they did make good on their claim and they sent me a ball joint rebuild kit free of charge. Fundamentally... rebuilding my ball joints once a year is not something I want to do.
Nice to see you back around....it's been a while it seems. Think this qualifies as the first bad comment I've seen on the Dynas. I've had no issues with mine and now have 30k miles on em with some pretty good wheelin on 37s. I'm curious what your experience was like rebuilding these things while installed? Never see many people talking about having actually done that.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Nice to see you back around....it's been a while it seems. Think this qualifies as the first bad comment I've seen on the Dynas. I've had no issues with mine and now have 30k miles on em with some pretty good wheelin on 37s. I'm curious what your experience was like rebuilding these things while installed? Never see many people talking about having actually done that.
Hey! Ya, honestly I rarely check the forum anymore after the app died. It was so convenient. I'm still around though!

I've heard other stories about the Dynatracs. I know I'm not the first. In fact I know there is a post on here somewhere where Dynatrac admits they don't have a flawless record and people are wearing them out quicker than expected. I do wheel a lot and I wheel hard, but still, I expected better. The rebuild wasn't bad, but then, I think for an at-home garage we have more specialty tools than most. Certainly having a hydraulic press made it easier. It took about the same amount of time as putting new ball joints in.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Hey! Ya, honestly I rarely check the forum anymore after the app died. It was so convenient.
Damn....I've suspected the app was a lot of the reason some regulars fell off this forum, and this kinda confirms it. I knew the timing of everyone disappearing wasn't a coincidence!

Certainly having a hydraulic press made it easier. It took about the same amount of time as putting new ball joints in.
This is NOT what I wanted to hear.

Quick Reply: Ball Joint Help.. Experience and Advice needed.