Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ball Joint Help.. Experience and Advice needed.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:19 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

PsychoCupcake – thanks for trying our balljoints and contacting us when there was a problem. Wearing out a set of our HD Rebuildable BallJoints in 1 year is not typical. We have many, many customers who use their Jeeps on extreme trails and put tens of thousands of miles on our balljoints in a year’s time. But in the cases where a customer doesn’t have the usual positive experience with our products, we try to work to get the customer taken care of, including diagnosing what happened, and making sure there isn’t another problem/factor the is the root cause of the issue.

YukonBlu -- thanks for considering Dynatrac for your Jeep! The strength of our HD Balljoints comes from both the design and materials used in making them. We use high-strength, heat-treated billet steel for the ball joint housing, and inside we use a stainless steel ball and chromoly stems. The seals were specially designed to help keep contaminants out, while the actual wear points inside the joint are Teflon coated for further durability.

Another big advantage is that our HD Balljoints can be rebuilt, WITHOUT having to press the ball joint housing out of the C, which causes wear on the C and increases the labor cost and time for servicing the ball joints. The rebuilding process on our ball joints is straightforward. You can watch a video on or website https://www.dynatrac.com/rebuildable-ball-joints.html.

AND we have lowered the cost of the rebuild kit for the Wrangler application of our HD Balljoints, so if you ever did have to service them, the cost of the rebuild will be less than if you had to replace the entire ball joint assembly.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
PsychoCupcake – thanks for trying our balljoints and contacting us when there was a problem. Wearing out a set of our HD Rebuildable BallJoints in 1 year is not typical. We have many, many customers who use their Jeeps on extreme trails and put tens of thousands of miles on our balljoints in a year’s time. But in the cases where a customer doesn’t have the usual positive experience with our products, we try to work to get the customer taken care of, including diagnosing what happened, and making sure there isn’t another problem/factor the is the root cause of the issue.

YukonBlu -- thanks for considering Dynatrac for your Jeep! The strength of our HD Balljoints comes from both the design and materials used in making them. We use high-strength, heat-treated billet steel for the ball joint housing, and inside we use a stainless steel ball and chromoly stems. The seals were specially designed to help keep contaminants out, while the actual wear points inside the joint are Teflon coated for further durability.

Another big advantage is that our HD Balljoints can be rebuilt, WITHOUT having to press the ball joint housing out of the C, which causes wear on the C and increases the labor cost and time for servicing the ball joints. The rebuilding process on our ball joints is straightforward. You can watch a video on or website https://www.dynatrac.com/rebuildable-ball-joints.html.

AND we have lowered the cost of the rebuild kit for the Wrangler application of our HD Balljoints, so if you ever did have to service them, the cost of the rebuild will be less than if you had to replace the entire ball joint assembly.
Yes, like I said, you guys did take care of me, and I appreciate that. Maybe I'm just an odd case.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

The rebuilding process on our ball joints is straightforward. You can watch a video on or website https://www.dynatrac.com/rebuildable-ball-joints.html.

The video is a nice educational tool that really highlights the deficiency of the factory BJs, but I'd really like to see and actual rebuild while installed in an axle....both upper and lower.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:06 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
The video is a nice educational tool that really highlights the deficiency of the factory BJs, but I'd really like to see and actual rebuild while installed in an axle....both upper and lower.
This is a story Four-Wheeler did where they used our rebuild kit with the ball joints still installed. We also have a video we'll be posting soon of the process as well.

How to Rebuild Your Ball Joints
Old 10-20-2017, 06:46 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

This is a story Four-Wheeler did where they used our rebuild kit with the ball joints still installed. We also have a video we'll be posting soon of the process as well.

How to Rebuild Your Ball Joints
Thank you. Gives me a better idea. I'll definitely be looking forward to a video as well.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After getting around 12k-15k miles on 2 sets (2 different rigs) before wearing out the Synergys, I bit the bullet and went with the Rare Parts. Pricey, yes, but what's your time worth (or labor cost if paying someone) to do the job multiple times. I like the Rare Parts concept of sharing the load with the upper joint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhH0QY9_1F8
Old 10-20-2017, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran the Dynatrac Ball Joints and from first put in I got about 40K miles on 33" tires then needed that "easy" rebuild that they claimed was "easy" I had the Jeep people do the work because they had sold about 200 sets of them. I was the first rebuild they had done. 1 st they were pissed off because it took 4 times as long as advertised 2nd they had to build their own special tool to make it work. The rebuild lasted about 15K miles, after the second rebuild was needed i just went with Synergy. But it sounds like there are better ones out there. just stay away from Dynatrac.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:24 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by realjeep
I ran the Dynatrac Ball Joints and from first put in I got about 40K miles on 33" tires then needed that "easy" rebuild that they claimed was "easy" I had the Jeep people do the work because they had sold about 200 sets of them. I was the first rebuild they had done. 1 st they were pissed off because it took 4 times as long as advertised 2nd they had to build their own special tool to make it work. The rebuild lasted about 15K miles, after the second rebuild was needed i just went with Synergy. But it sounds like there are better ones out there. just stay away from Dynatrac.
Sounds like something was a miss there. I can say I have 30k miles, almost all of which is on 37s, and I wheel the thing pretty decent. I've not had an issue, but I do continue trying to figure out how to rebuild em so when that time comes. From looking at the linked article above, it seems pretty straight forward. I can't imagine what "special" tools they would have had to build, but this is why I specifically want to see video of the process rather than just pictures.

We all have different experiences. I'd rather stick factory BJs knowing they're gonna crap out in 5k miles than have to deal with Synergy again....that is how aggravated I was with that experience. When it comes down to it, just about every manufacturer is going to say "we have limited space with which to work on the D30/44 axle and we put out the best we can"....blah blah blah.

Not trying to hijack this thread, and still feel like the conversation is on topic and hopefully helpful to the OP making a decision.

To be fair, I can't say I've run across the RP rebuild process while installed either.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad people are finally pulling their head out of their ass in regards to what piece of junk those Synergy balls joints are. Years ago I was saying they are junk, but everyone was looking at me like I'm a moron. Now the truth comes to light finally. Never buy Synergy ball joints, they wear out within the 1st year. Overpriced junk.

I'm currently running on stock ball joints. A year after install and they are still strong. Just checked a few days ago for play and there is none.

Also have a set of spare Teraflex ball joints once these finally wear out.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Maybe you might want to consider lowering your price on your actual ball joints and not just the rebuild kit? It sounds like Rare Parts are kicking your ass and are in the same $500 price range as the Dynatracs and then we have Teraflex in the $200 price range which are good for their price as well.

Maybe Dynatrac can use that information and figures out their ball joints likely fit better in the $300-$400 price range because they're not the best in the market at the $500 price point and there's a good value alternative option at the $200 price point.

My 35s are getting the $200 TF because I don't feel I need a $500 set of ball joints. I would consider the Dynatracs if they were close to $300. If I had 37s or larger, it would be RPs all day but maybe I'ld be able to talk myself into a Dynatrac if it meant saving a couple hundred.

#Truth

Quick Reply: Ball Joint Help.. Experience and Advice needed.