Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Methods or Slabs?
Slabs
66.67%
Methods
33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Beadlock Opinions Needed: Slabs or Method 105's?

Old 04-02-2018, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Guys with the Trail Grapplers seriously check out the Ridge Grapplers. They are a much better overall tire, and I have owned both and can compare them. I do like both tires, but the Ridge Grapplers ride and wear much better and are quieter while being similar performance wise off road. The Ridge Grapplers are a harder compound and don't chunk like the TGs, and also have zero radial pull.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Ended up pulling the trigger on the Methods and a set of 37" Maxxis Razr MT's. Got a steal on the Maxxis' at $285 a tire with free shipping. They're a pretty new tire, but the guys over on Pirate seem to like them and they have a 40,000 mile warranty from Maxxis ...oh and they look really similar to Creepy Cralwers, so that doesn't hurt. Seems I got the last ones at this price (Amazon), looking at them again now and they're more expensive/my vendor is gone.

For anyone else eyeballing the Methods: they're $288 a wheel right now on Northridge4x4 after the code "JKFORUM." Can't beat that price.

Will post pics of the tire/wheel combo when I get and mount them. Doesn't seem to be much of this combo out there right now.

Last edited by BoraBora; 04-02-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo560.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	676992
Here are the 35s. Sounds like you picked up the same deal I did on amazon.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cedarraider
Attachment 676992
Here are the 35s. Sounds like you picked up the same deal I did on amazon.

Eyyyyy look at that! Same wheels and tires hahah!

How are you liking the Maxxis Razr Mt's so far? And the Methods? I purchased the spacer rings for the Methods as well, as they say anything over a 37" will require them. Did you 35's bolt down with no spacers required?

Last edited by BoraBora; 04-03-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If I had to do again I will go with something that has weep holes like the KM2 Machette's or the Method 105's. A lot to be said about not having water stand in the wheel. My slabs hold water and mud which can be a pain to clean. Slabs require threaded inserts which can corrode to the bolts and require a ton of effort to get them out. Trust me when I swapped over the the Yokohama Geolander G003 MT's I had to replace 24 of the inserts.

JMHO Then again YMMV.

R/
Will
Old 04-05-2018, 05:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Canvas
If I had to do again I will go with something that has weep holes
Wish there were more that offered a ring with a weep hole design.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Canvas
If I had to do again I will go with something that has weep holes like the KM2 Machette's or the Method 105's. A lot to be said about not having water stand in the wheel. My slabs hold water and mud which can be a pain to clean. Slabs require threaded inserts which can corrode to the bolts and require a ton of effort to get them out. Trust me when I swapped over the the Yokohama Geolander G003 MT's I had to replace 24 of the inserts.

JMHO Then again YMMV.

R/
Will
FYI, the Machete rock rings bolt directly to the Slabs. Definitely something I have thought about for the same reasons.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The holes in the Machete rings are only good for water really which I never really cared about when I had slabs other than maybe the water mark it left when it dried. Mud and of course snow clog the holes pretty easily. I still like the rims though. They balance well and are tough as he'll in my opinion. On my fourth set I think.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BoraBora
Eyyyyy look at that! Same wheels and tires hahah!

How are you liking the Maxxis Razr Mt's so far? And the Methods? I purchased the spacer rings for the Methods as well, as they say anything over a 37" will require them. Did you 35's bolt down with no spacers required?
I had to put the spacer rings on with 35s. Snapped a bolt first torque setting. I just got them balanced today and am waiting on a tie rod replacement to run them. My stock is smoked and I will probably need an alignment first. My first event if the year is in a month that will be a good test.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cedarraider
I had to put the spacer rings on with 35s. Snapped a bolt first torque setting. I just got them balanced today and am waiting on a tie rod replacement to run them. My stock is smoked and I will probably need an alignment first. My first event if the year is in a month that will be a good test.
Did you try driving with them before the balance? Seems some people didn't need a balance until after their first wheeling trip.

Keep us posted. I just got 2 of mine today. Other 3 coming tomorrow, and the Methods get here on Tuesday.

Quick Reply: Beadlock Opinions Needed: Slabs or Method 105's?