Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Axle Back Exhaust for Performance Gains without the noise

Old 07-13-2017, 10:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dynomax Quiet Crawler. No questions. You can piece it together for a couple hundred bucks.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:09 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Everyone spends so much on mufflers in general....cat or axle back. I have a $32 Thrush welded from Advanced Auto, and $40 for muffler shop to tuck that thing as far up in the factory location as possible. You can barely see it, it's not ricer sounding, and it was cost effective while adding a lot of clearance. I get compliments on the sound. It's not loud and has a decent tone. Works for me. When I bought it I was pretty sure there was a 50/50 chance I'd think it was a POS and come off within a week. My gamble paid off.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it a glass pack style or turbo style?
Old 01-04-2021, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It has been said over and over, and that is because it is the truth. Cold Air Intakes, loud exhausts, throttle body spacers, etc will not create noticeable/consistently measurable torque and horsepower gains.

Understand you want to make it up the hills, not be passed on grades, be able to merge safely and have the JK get out of it's own way. If you are not willing to increase engine power with forced induction or a V8 swap (and correct gears), you might just focus on gears and making the Jeep as light as you can for a better power-to-weight ratio.

Unless you match air intake and exhaust with forced induction or larger displacement, possibly cams, then you will not see real power increases. My old 2013 JKUR manual with custom tuned Magnuson TVS 1320 on the 3.6 felt adequate, and that was on 33" pizza cutters with 4.10 gears. My current 2017 JKUR Recon with MagnaFlow exhaust on 33" tires and 3.73 gear feels a bit anemic and it would only get worse as parts get added.

If you love the sound of a throaty V6 exhaust, more power to you; otherwise save the money for more important mods like gears, etc.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 467 Likes on 419 Posts

I think my stock Jeep muffler has to go to let the Chev breathe though but I agree with doc's previous post. Silverado 2016 still only had a 2.5" exhaust so Jeep has that. Wish I knew what the CFM flow was through the stock JK muffler. Chev needs close to 700CFM allowance on the muffler. Might be the reason it gets similar mileage off road as on. Running more efficient off road at lower rpm.

Quick Reply: Best Axle Back Exhaust for Performance Gains without the noise