Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Bikini/Bimini/Brief top???

Old 09-16-2010, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My only advise - Don't by the Bestop Safari. It flaps like crazy. I ended up selling mine and went with a SpiderWeb shade that I can just leave on. Maybe after I get the tub linex'd I'll invest in the Mopar version of the safari top.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:32 AM
JK Junkie

Mopar for the money, if you want something lighter go spidershade or DD.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Smitty built

Originally Posted by fadeout
Mopar for the money, if you want something lighter go spidershade or DD.
Thru 4 x 4 parts with header it was only like $105.00 works for what it is intended I have no experiance wiith any others, i did not have the surrounds on so there were alot of velcro straps that do not keep it tight around the sides.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by _J__C_
My only advise - Don't by the Bestop Safari. It flaps like crazy. I ended up selling mine and went with a SpiderWeb shade that I can just leave on. Maybe after I get the tub linex'd I'll invest in the Mopar version of the safari top.
X2.....I had it on the jeep twice and the flapping is unbearable. I'd give someone the top and header if I could hand it to them. I have heard the mopar bonnet is the way to go and find it very funny that the best "aftermarket" part is an OEM.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RLW007
I have the Mopar sun bonnet on a 2010 unlimited and love it. Nice tight fit, no flapping, water tight at the windshield and door surrounds. I had to buy the 2009 door surrounds to work with the top, but well worth the price. I have put it on and left it on all summer. Very happy with the purchase.
Hi

I also ran into this problem.

Question: Do the 2009 surrounds work with your 2010 soft top when buttoned back up, or did you keep the 2010 surrounds as well?

I would trade for 09 surrounds to use a mopar bikini top, if I new the reg soft top would still work with the 09 surrounds

Thoughts?

Thanks
-wsn

PS: The hardtop version is a no-go for me as their are gaps as described in an above post.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by _J__C_
x2

I returned mine to 4wd and just have the DirtyDog one right now.

No offense to anybody running them, but the build quality on the Bestop one is poor. The straps alone have 'I will rip' written all over them.

Their is a reason they are just about giving them away.

Cheers
-wsn
Old 04-26-2016, 04:39 AM
JK Newbie

Default Any Updates

Are there any updates on the best Safari for a JK Unlimited? Seems to still be the Mopar Sun Bonnett??
Old 04-26-2016, 05:32 AM
JK Freak

This post reminded me I had all this in the attic if someone is interested:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-a...4/#post4211077
Old 09-02-2016, 05:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RLW007
I have the Mopar sun bonnet on a 2010 unlimited and love it. Nice tight fit, no flapping, water tight at the windshield and door surrounds. I had to buy the 2009 door surrounds to work with the top, but well worth the price. I have put it on and left it on all summer. Very happy with the purchase.
Responding to an old thread, hopefully someone out there can help me figure this out. I have a 2014 JKU hard top. I am looking to purchase a Mopar Sun Bonnet with the plastic strips that snap into the door surrounds. The problem is that the Mopar sun bonnets with the plastic strips are all advertised to fit only the 2007-2009. Someone gave me a set of door surrounds from a 2008 JKU which bolted right onto my jeep. After reading your post I'm wondering if the only difference is the door surrounds and with the top for the older model will fit my jeep with the 2008 door surrounds.

Thanks
MoRedJeep
Old 09-08-2016, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MORedJp
Responding to an old thread, hopefully someone out there can help me figure this out. I have a 2014 JKU hard top. I am looking to purchase a Mopar Sun Bonnet with the plastic strips that snap into the door surrounds. The problem is that the Mopar sun bonnets with the plastic strips are all advertised to fit only the 2007-2009. Someone gave me a set of door surrounds from a 2008 JKU which bolted right onto my jeep. After reading your post I'm wondering if the only difference is the door surrounds and with the top for the older model will fit my jeep with the 2008 door surrounds. Thanks MoRedJeep
For what it's worth, I have 2010 2 door and bought the sun bonnet. I also bought a set of 2008 non sun rider door surrounds for the sun bonnet to clip into. It works great. Fyii the regular 2008 door surrounds will work if that is what you have. The ones I bought we're a bit cheaper.

Quick Reply: Best Bikini/Bimini/Brief top???