Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best bolt in roll cage on the market

Old 02-23-2015, 06:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to derail the basis of this thread, but I'd like to suggest reconsidering the Synergy weld in cage. Much stronger, far safer, and better designed than any bolt in cage. If you are going to the hassle of installing a cage, why go half-a##? If you call at the right time, you can get the full cage for $750 delivered.

Do a little searching and you will have no trouble finding a TIG welder looking for some work. Get the cage put together and then you're really not looking at much for the welding. All in, maybe a $1000 (cage + welding) for a full weld in cage that is tied to the frame.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ What he said.

I have 3 wheeling buddies that have the rockhard cages and they love them. I've installed a PSC cage for a buddy and it was a pain in the a$$ but he's happy with it overall. There a pictures online with both cages after a roll over and they've all done their job. The sport cages will protect you and do work well. After seeing both cages and some heavy thinking I decided to go with a custom cage. I plan on keeping my jeep until the wheels falls off and wanted to do the cage once.

Custom - Based off of the Synergy 1st Gen cage
Click image for larger version

Name:	10846327_10101067640667567_419274527489013454_n.jpg
Views:	1694
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	598320

Name:	rear.jpg
Views:	1666
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	598321

PSC Cage

Name:	psc 2.jpg
Views:	1650
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	598328

Name:	PSC cage.jpg
Views:	1726
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	598329
Old 02-23-2015, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the Rock Hard and there front harness bar they are both beefy and very well made but I do wish the sport cage went to the floor, but the install was clean and no issues. If you have the time and the cash deffinitley go with weld like the synergy. But with a few tools and a drill bit you can bolt the Rock Hard up in a day!
Old 08-28-2017, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

Default What about Smitty built?

I know this is a older thread. Im Johnny come late. No one mentioned Smittybilt SRC Cage. Good, Bad, OMG kick this guy out of the club? It looks very similar to the Rockhard kit for construction.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Smittybilt is a very 'economy' brand. It would be good if you'd just like to say you have a cage. Would I trust my life to it over one of the other brands? No. Absolutely not. I've had a smitty bumper and while it is a stout unit (anyone can stack metal and bedline it), it isn't braced well and isn't as good functionally as it should be.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll echo what's going around here and add another option now. I've got the Rock Hard cage in mine, along with the weld in C pillar. That area is a ton of span, so every little bit helps. I've had to move mine around a few times and it's a tight fit to get the components in and out and lined back up. It's a solid piece and I have no complaints and I run mine all over the place. It's stout and doesn't make any noise going down the road or down the trail. Not going to the floor is the only "weak link" I could potentially see. Tying into the factory bar between the windshield frame and B pillar, is another potential shortcoming, but not a real knock. Still beats the hell out of the factory.

I put a PSC cage in my buddy's JKUR and it was a pain in the ass. The connectors are solid and very tight fitting. If you have the cage powdercoated, make sure and clean up all the connections or you'll fight it forever. Anti-seize is also your friend with those connectors. The front does go all the way to the floor and bolt in. The supplied bolts were a little long and made for some knocking in certain conditions as they hit the frame supports. Overall, nice solid cage.

Evo recently introduced one that I've not had any experience with, but it's a good looking cage and seems to be right around the same price point, plus it's chromoly versus mild steel.

https://www.offroadevolution.com/pro...ge-w-rear-bar/
Old 08-29-2017, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I've done 2 PS cages and maybe its just me but its not that hard to do...

Plus I'd love to see anyone finding someone to Tig a cage for $250
Old 08-29-2017, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jordy
Evo recently introduced one that I've not had any experience with, but it's a good looking cage and seems to be right around the same price point, plus it's chromoly versus mild steel.

https://www.offroadevolution.com/pro...ge-w-rear-bar/
I'm very happy with my Evo cage. Nice visibility, fortunately haven't put it to the test but looks great.

Name:	19399028_10155420470166252_1870016376725040422_n.jpg
Views:	1711
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	674476
Old 09-05-2017, 10:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TCML
So I'm looking at cages at the moment and I'm curious what the best option is as far as bolt in cages. I'm leaning toward the RockHard cage but just want to make the best decision and any info will be helpful.

Thank you.
While I have yet to roll-over and truly put it to the test, I am very happy with the RockHard 4x4 Sport Cage and the Rear (top) Extension. I had it coated with Line-X, required a great deal of grinding-down to get the cuffs to fit, but very cool.

Go RockHard 4x4 and don't look back. I got it because of the non-existent "A" pillars on the JKUR.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Not to derail the basis of this thread, but I'd like to suggest reconsidering the Synergy weld in cage. Much stronger, far safer, and better designed than any bolt in cage. If you are going to the hassle of installing a cage, why go half-a##? If you call at the right time, you can get the full cage for $750 delivered.

Do a little searching and you will have no trouble finding a TIG welder looking for some work. Get the cage put together and then you're really not looking at much for the welding. All in, maybe a $1000 (cage + welding) for a full weld in cage that is tied to the frame.
Originally Posted by caryt
I've done 2 PS cages and maybe its just me but its not that hard to do...

Plus I'd love to see anyone finding someone to Tig a cage for $250
I have the synergy cage sitting in my garage. I don't think they make it anymore. But just to throw out some current info on the 250 dollar install job, Rebel Offroad quoted me $5500 to install that cage. Luckily I have some other options of local guys who are going to get it done closer to a grand but that's with me stripping it out completely so all they have to do is weld. So 250 bucks is pretty funny but hey if you know a great welder who will work for 2 bucks an hour shoot me a PM!

Quick Reply: Best bolt in roll cage on the market