Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best performance chip/programmer

Old 03-07-2019, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best performance chip/programmer

Hey,
I have a 2016 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited with an auto. Looking to up the power a bit as I run 35s. What is the best chip or programmer to gain some horses and torgue?

thanks
Old 03-07-2019, 03:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

How much power are you expecting to get from a tuner? The blurb on the side of the box may say "Gain 20-25 HP", and may even have a bunch of exclamation points after it, but if you look at any of the dyno charts you will quickly realize that those numbers are way up near five or six thousand rpm. 5-8 HP is more likely during normal driving. So what it comes down to is: does that massive power gain justify the price tag to you?

I have used Superchips FlashPaq (two separate units several years apart) and Diablosport InTune. Didn't notice a power difference with any tune on either flashpaq, but did feel a very small hp gain on the diablosport. Worth the price? Not really, though any HP gain could be considered a good thing on my 3.8 auto.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:57 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Tuners aren't going to make any noticeable difference at all IMO. They aren't worth the additional cost over a basic programmer to set tire size, gear ratios, and whatever other little settings you want. Gearing is the real solution, but even jumping 2-3 gear sets isn't going to make it feel like it's got a super charger on it, but the jeep will feel much better. Forced induction options will put a smile on your face as you press the skinny pedal, but they set you back a pretty penny too.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

This right here.. ^^^^
Old 03-13-2019, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a Superchips Trail Dash 2 for my 2012 Rubicon. Using any programmer to correct for your larger tire size is a big help. I used a tune option a few times and it did seem to run a little stronger and a little better mpg, but since then I just don't bother with that. If I had it to do again, I'd get a Flashpaq like I have for my F-150. Much simpler to use and I don't leave the Trail Dash 2 hooked up to see it's extra features.

Quick Reply: Best performance chip/programmer