Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best shocks in the world

Old 05-16-2017, 05:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Best shocks in the world

I have a 2012 JKU sport I bought new and now have 88,000 miles on it. It's nearly 100% stock. It is my daily driver and my off roading is limited to sandy gravel pits. Here's my question. If I put the best shocks in the world on my jeep, what changes would exist in my driving experience? As I get close to the 100,000 mile mark, I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it to replace my stock shocks. I want to make sure I will feel a difference that pleases me.

Last edited by rob_engineer; 05-16-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

As long as you buy quality shocks you will definitely be able to tell.

Especially with that mileage, on stock shocks, I guarantee they are completely shot. Factory shocks aren't great. Even the Rubi shocks. My Rubi shocks felt great at first, but were completely done in by 30,000.

Shocks are a matter of personal taste. I love my Bilstein 5100s.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

It's funny how people who know nothing about Jeeps but own one will go out and buy something without a name brand or Monroe shocks and think it's good enough. Actually proud of the fact they got all four for well under 100 bucks. After 80 K worth of miles on the stock shocks, you will definitely tell the difference with replacements. Good luck getting everyone to agree on what the best shock in the world is but, there are probably about 1/2 dozen to choose from the you wouldn't be disappointed with.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:12 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I would not waste the money on big dollar shocks if you are stock. the best things about expensive shocks is being able to rebuild and re valve to fit your ride. If you are stock I doubt you would ever crack one open. Find some take off shocks from craigslist.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:57 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks for your replies. I don't want this thread to become about which shocks are best. I can do that research. This is about whether I will have a WOW factor after putting new, good shocks on. What sensations should I expect to be different? My shocks probably are whooped. For about 6000 of my 88,000 miles I towed a 5000 pound toy hauler with a weight distribution hitch, so the front & rear saw the heavy load.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quality

I agree about the Bilstein 5100s but just make sure you get a good quality shock. We had an F-150 and the original shocks were done at 125K. Because we were broke we put on some special deal cheap ass shocks. They were worse at 25K than the originals at 125K.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

shocks degrade slowly so we often do not realize how bad they have gotten. I would look at some rancho 9000's or Tera flex falcons. I love my bilstien 5100's and do not think they are stiff but there are those who think they are. I have had rancho 5000X, 7000mt, and 3 pairs of 5100 on different wranglers and love them. Also OME get excellent reviews. Like Dirtman I would not spend big bucks on a stock rig as no real need. when you spend money on Kings and the like you are buying them because you plan on running high speed in rough terrain for miles and not really going to do that in a stock jeep.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:32 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

If we are in the running a few things to keep in mind...
We are on rebate now until June 30th.
We offer a 90 day ride guarantee
We offer a limited Lifetime Warranty on our shocks too.

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I have a 2012 JKU sport I bought new and now have 88,000 miles on it. It's nearly 100% stock. It is my daily driver and my off roading is limited to sandy gravel pits. Here's my question. If I put the best shocks in the world on my jeep, what changes would exist in my driving experience? As I get close to the 100,000 mile mark, I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it to replace my stock shocks. I want to make sure I will feel a difference that pleases me.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya never know how much better your ride quality can be until you invest in some better shocks. I replaced my stock shocks at 8,000 miles or so with some Fox 2.0's and it was instantly a lot better. And that was while my stock shocks were still performing pretty well. Aftermarket quality shocks will definitely make a difference on and off road.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:50 AM
JK Junkie

I'm still hoping to get into some words a description of how a stock Jeep rides on bad shocks vs good shocks. For those of you that changed out the crappy stock shocks for better ones, how did the ride change. Any examples?

Quick Reply: Best shocks in the world