Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best supercharger for the money... ripp? 505? Sprintex? other?????

Old 01-16-2012, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best supercharger for the money... ripp? 505? Sprintex? other?????

I would like to Supercharge my 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I have been looking all over the internet for who offers kits for our Jeeps.... this is what I have posted on the other forum:

differance between, 505 Performance superchar, and RIPP supercharger kit for wrangler
Just got off the phone with 505.... talked to RIPP 2 days ago.....

505 states that there supercharger starts delivering power 1-2K RPM below that of the RIPP charger... has a wastgate like a turbo, and is cheaper....

The 505 is $4500 with inercooler!!!!.... this is $1000 less than RIPP and seems to be better....

any opinions?

thx, paul
Although I feel I am extremely adapt to NA engines, (I have build well over 10 engines now, the last delivered 460 hp and 440tq at the rear wheels running through an irs) but....I am just learning about forced induction... here is what i have been told to offer counter to your statement.... please remember, this is only what I have been told.... I am new to FI

The 505 can and does develop its tq and thus hp (HP=TQ*RPM\5252) starting lower in the RPM band, and can maintain it all the way up the band. this is achieved by the use of a smaller pulley to achieve sooner boost.... now this is when the two really vary, 505 puts on a wast gate, where ripp has none, thus the ability to have acceptable boost levels at both low AND high RPM's....

comments?
ok...so now we seem to have 4 choices.... as far as 505,the complaint seemed to be about 2 years ago,and nothing bad since.... so still viable......

Choices:
1. Ripp ~$5500 W/intercooler
2. 505 ~$4500 W/intercooler
3. Sprintex ~$3900 Positive Displacement no intercooler needed
4. Avenger ~$5000 Positive Displacement no intercooler needed

pricing is what i have found on the internet... you may find different

Ripp and 505 are in front of the injection, and it seems the Sprintex is a roots style taking the place of the intake manifold.

the 505 is over $1000 cheaper than the rip with intercooler and has a blowoff valve.

the ripp has a lot more web presence and not much bad found.

The Sprintex Helical Twin Screw is a Positive Displacement Supercharger.better yet
sooner and lower rpm boost

Last edited by wayoflife; 01-23-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:03 AM
JK Freak

I did some searching just out of curiosity because I just installed a Ripp SC. By the way, it would not be $1000 difference either. I will tell you that their are distributors selling the Ripp for $500 over the $4500 of that 505 kit. Just search the web. They are out there.

I googled the 505 Supercharge and the first few link I found had stuff like this.

Additionally, when you go to their website they have very limited information. That does not give me a warm fuzzy.

As far as delivering power 1K-2K lower than the Ripp? I can feel a distinct difference on my take off speed from a stand still. Not a lot but there is some. At about 2K she really starts pulling hard all the way through 5k when she changes gears. That is at WOT. Not sure how thier system could start much sooner. I feel that statement may be a little exaggerated. I am definitely no expert and have only had my SC for a short time.

Below are a few things I found on the first page of a google search

------------------------------------------------------

First of all they have numerous typos and gramatical errors on the webpage but that isnt the main issue.

The biggest problem with this kit is that it uses an FMU (Fuel Management Unit) to control the hole set up. FMUs are the WORST way to control such a system. If I remember correctly FMU change the fuel pressure to regulate fuel delivery and this is not the right way of doing it. This is definately not a reliable kit because of the FMU.

Diablo has finally cracked the JK ECU so if you want a supercharger kit, go with one that uses the Diablo for tuning. Currently Avenger is the only one on the market. (I am sure RIPP isnt too far behind if you were wondering about them)

Lastly, I would stick with a roots style blower because it is better suited for what most people use their Jeeps for but I dont want that last statement to turn into a huge argument as it has on other threads so I am just throwing it out there as an opinion.

-----------------------------------------------------
Posted3/23/2010
Summary - I want a refund for a product purchased that never worked.
Complaint Description
I bought a kit from this company for $4550. I was told that they would charge me half at first and then the other half upon shipment. They charged me the second half before they sent it out, and I received the kit two weeks later. I found a shop to install the kit for me, but Zach sent one of the boxes to a company that he recommended install the kit and asked me to take my Jeep and the other parts over there for install. I got my Jeep back three days later. After another 3 days, I had to have the car towed back because of a fuel leak caused by the kit. Even the people in the other shop were frustrated with the way that Zach handled the situation saying that the instructions he sent were incorrect and the kit was incomplete. After another month, I had my Jeep back. I again had to get it towed for the same problem. I had a different shop disassemble the kit and I asked Zach Steele for a refund to which he agreed. I sent the parts to him, but he refused a package because it was damaged during shipping. He told me that the part was completely missing; however, when I called the post office, they confirmed that it was in the package. I spent a lot of money installing the kit, taking the kit out, and towing the Jeep. I lost a lot of money because I did not have my vehicle for over a month and a half making work at certain times impossible. Zach is now telling me to contact his attorney and that he is not wiling to give me a refund.
Resolution Sought
All that I want is my $4550 that I paid for a product that never worked. I gave him and the shop that he recommended plenty of time to fix it. I refuse to put it back on my Jeep as it has been nothing but a money pit.

Additional Information
Date Problem Occurred:
Product or Service:
Model Name/Number:
Date Purchased:
Order Number:
Amount In Dispute:
2/2/2010
A supercharger kit for a 2009 Jeep JK

1/22/2010

$4,550.00
Company's Response
Posted4/19/2010
Summary - Parts were damaged on return, & sent back to customer. Company willing to issue partial refund if he returns parts, they will inspect & repaint parts, then sell as new used.

Response
The company states the package was clearly damaged. The company can't take responsibility for items that were not boxed properly and no refund can be issued at this time. At this point, the only thing the company can do is sell the part as new used. The customer must resend the parts and they can go through and inspect service and repaint all parts and then sell it as new used. This may reduce his refund and could take up to 60 days. If this is an acceptable solution then feel free to have the customer send the products back so they can resolve this situation. Bottom line, if the part would have been packaged correctly, the customer would have received a full refund. Company is not responsible for the inability to package products in a manner that keeps products in the same shape as when they were sent. At this time, the customer has the part in his possession and the company can't give any type of refund. The company is not responsible for the abilities of other shops to perform jobs correctly. It is company's understanding that the shop that installed the kit has recently changed owners and the company is unaware that they could not perform the task of installing the supercharger correctly. It clearly states in the instructions that it is the owners responsibility to check the complete installation supercharger.
Customer's Rebuttal
Posted4/27/2010
The fact that I am being offered less for a product than what I purchased it for is ridiculous. Compounded with the fact that the product that I purchased never worked is absolutely unacceptable. The argument is being lost over damaged boxes. Bottom line, Zach offered me a complete refund knowing very well that the part had been installed on my vehicle. He is also aware of the fact that it never worked for over a month and a half. He even suggested that I drive around with the kit installed on my vehicle while he figured out a new fuel delivery system that would actually work. He knew that the kit was garbage. Now he wants to resell this product to his own customers? I don’t think he should try to resell a part that doesn’t work but hey, that’s not up to me. I just want what we had agreed upon. As it stands now, I have most of the kit in my possession(Zach took one of the parts back and never refunded me for it). The kit is in perfect condition minus the normal stuff that happens during installation and removal. And Zach was aware of that when we agreed on the refund. I am willing to repackage the kit professionally and send it out again in order to obtain what is mine.
Company's Final Response
No Final Response

Last edited by wayoflifette; 01-23-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pauldana
I posted on another forum but have not gotten the responses i was looking for....i will past and copy a few excerpts.

I would like to Supercharge my 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I have been looking all over the internet for who offers kits for our Jeeps.... this is what I have posted on the other forum:

[/B][/I]
We don't know anything about the companies your suggesting but we can tell you our sales are strong and our clients typically will tell you, our kits deliver on their promises.

On that note
  • We've 1000 units sold world wide
  • We have a large dealer support network
  • We use Diablo- Sport reflashing and contrary to popular belief, RIPP was the first to re-flash, we just didn't make any noise about it until we knew it was stable.

On 2007-2010 RIPP kits come with larger primary injectors and a Diablo Predator that's pre-programmed with 2 maps (SC with and without headers)... We also offer a catalog of updated maps as well.

Only the 2011 JK's are piggy-back units.

We have loads of Video on our Youtube account RIPPMODS with lots of combinations of tires, exhaust, headers and so on. Below are the common videos that work well. The second video is an end user just doing a review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOG0_8VtMa4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjxcgPpdsyk&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PxvUzDrvdw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTDbfM4nIV0&feature=fvst Question Welcome
RIPPTECH
Old 01-16-2012, 10:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, most newbs first questions are "What's the coolest,most awesome best 6inch lift they make for Jeep!

This guy is clearly reposting.... Prob a cut and paste from 10 other forums...
Old 01-16-2012, 11:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep smells like spam...

Last edited by OverlandJKU; 01-16-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bubba_zenetti
I like that. First post ever from the OP with one of those innocent questions that lead to a sale pitch. Can we say spammer? Its one of those innocent ways people use to throw a little traffic at their product.
ok... i can understand your thought...but,,,, no, I'm not a spammer for anyone... yes I did cut and past my original question/comment on this forum from ONE other jeep forum, ....... The reason? new to the JEEP forums and trying to find the best one.....

Now, if you still believe im a spammer, go to the corvette forums and look up the same avatar name, pauldana, and you will find thousands of post form me....in fact right now im putting together the 2nd annual C3 corvette run in California...and expecting around 80 C# vetts to show.... So, no..... not a spammer at all

Originally Posted by NH-JK
Ya, most newbs first questions are "What's the coolest,most awesome best 6inch lift they make for Jeep!

This guy is clearly reposting.... Prob a cut and paste from 10 other forums...
again,,,,, no.... but understandable, especially after RIPP's Post. I hate to be flogged like that.... I got into it with DeWitts radiator over something very similar on the C# corvette forum... and it lasted years. I dont mind having a vender tell me why he/she thinks there unit is better, but i like more equal representation between ALL vendors....

Originally Posted by OverlandJKU
Yep smells like spam...
uahhhh...nope... p:-)

Originally Posted by bubba_zenetti
so.... still would like some honest opinions and open discussion on this topic.

As i plan on purchasing one by this summer..... just got the jeep 12-25:-) but got to put the new TKO600 trans in the vett first.

thx... paul:-)

Last edited by pauldana; 01-18-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:37 PM
JK Freak

I was being honest about 505 performance. The have very limited information on there website. Very generic. The information there has several spelling errors. They have zero information to demonstrate the suggested 240rwh.

Most of the information I found was negative or nobody has a clue about this company. I personally would not feel safe with a purchase from them.

Ripp has a ton of documented information on their site to include owner's posting information on YouTube. Very established company with good reputation.

Last edited by SergeantChuck; 01-18-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:44 PM
JK Freak

Hey Paul,

I'd just recommend that you really do your research first. I've heard that there is some awesome power to gain from the superchargers, but I've also heard lots of headache stories with inadequate performance, mileage, and engine issues post-install. There are a decent number of threads on the forum with information, and I'd try to find some first hand experiences as well. Also, if you do pull the trigger on a supercharger, I'd be sure to plan on getting a full professional tuning done rather than relying solely on aftermarket chip tuners.

Micah
Old 01-18-2012, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SergeantChuck
I was being honest about 505 performance. The have very limited information on there website. Very generic. The information there has several spelling errors. They have zero information to demonstrate the suggested 240rwh.

Most of the information I found was negative or nobody has a clue about this company. I personally would not feel safe with a purchase from them.

Ripp has a ton of documented information on their site to include owner's posting information on YouTube. Very established company with good reputation.
i have seen the same thing.... and yes,it does not look professional in any way..... and it does give reason for worry. That being said, the blow off valve used in such a way to get lower rpm boost is intriguing if to say the least, and if true...very desirable.

I was also told by 505 that they have helped ripp with there fuel mgt problems....so????i dont know... just repeating what was told me.

and the roots system by Sprintex.... now that would be something....

O, and one more thing..... good advertising is not always indicative of a good product. pinto, grimlen, vega(yea,i owned one)... frozen pizza.....

Last edited by pauldana; 01-18-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by burbingus
Hey Paul,

I'd just recommend that you really do your research first. I've heard that there is some awesome power to gain from the superchargers, but I've also heard lots of headache stories with inadequate performance, mileage, and engine issues post-install. There are a decent number of threads on the forum with information, and I'd try to find some first hand experiences as well. Also, if you do pull the trigger on a supercharger, I'd be sure to plan on getting a full professional tuning done rather than relying solely on aftermarket chip tuners.

Micah

Thank you...i agree, No replacement for good research, thus the reason for this thread.... The beginning of my research. lots of us have already been down this road.... pick the minds of those that preceded me in this endeavor, this is what I would like to do.
Call all the vendors and listen to there sales spill..... you will never ever get anything negative here... but you can gain information from this and move further. I have until June, this is when i will purchase one, and install it. first the TKO for my C3 vett....
As far as the tune, yes.... Cunninghame motor sports here in SoCal does my C5 vette tunes..... I do all the C3 tunes myself,no computer:-)

Quick Reply: Best supercharger for the money... ripp? 505? Sprintex? other?????