Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best supercharger for the money... ripp? 505? Sprintex? other?????

Old 01-23-2012, 10:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm disappointed you guys shot down turbocharging so quickly. An appropriately sized turbo will make plenty of boost at 2K, and still have good topend power. Check out the Audi/VW 1.8-2.0L inline fours and the GM Ecotec turbocharged 4 cylinders. They're stump pullers.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:06 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm disappointed you guys shot down turbocharging so quickly. An appropriately sized turbo will make plenty of boost at 2K, and still have good topend power. Check out the Audi/VW 1.8-2.0L inline fours and the GM Ecotec turbocharged 4 cylinders. They're stump pullers. They've been quoted as having 90% of their max torque down to ~1,800rpm.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have owned 2 twin turboed cars and can say it is definatly the wrong application for the JK.
1. There are no kits for the JK so you would have to fab your own.
2. Turbo kits would take 2-3 times longer to install.
3. Turbo kits are more prone to problems and reliability is important when you are out on a trail.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Not sure if it's appropriate to post here... but just came across this:

ststurbo.com/jeep_wrangler

I knew STS from my days tinkering with a GM V8 I used to own. I wanted to see what their universal kit would provide. To my surprise I found that they're working on a specific kit for us.

Last edited by wayoflife; 01-23-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

turbo seems all kinds of wrong for the jk, but I'm pretty sure one of the vendors here still has a turbo jk in the vendor used section. so it does exist
Old 01-23-2012, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

It doesnt look like their kit has been released yet. But I am surprised. I personally have never installed a STS kit. Several people did install them though on my previous 350Z/370Z forums with very poor reviews. STS uses remote mount turbos which means below the bottom of the Jeep. But putting a turbo under a Jeep scares me in many ways, not to mention all the extra piping and they cost 2000 dollars more.

EDIT
I found that the Teraflex Jeep has the STS kit installed. They are active on here and would be good to ask.

Look at the rock rash to the right. Also that little stainless steel line on the BOTTOM of the turbo is the oil line.

It does look pretty well tucked up there. But personally it would scare me and not really worth an extra 2k in my eyes. When it comes to off roading I definatly trust Teraflex. I am curious what info they can provide about it.

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 01-23-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yo_marc
Not sure if it's appropriate to post here... but just came across this:

ststurbo.com/jeep_wrangler

I knew STS from my days tinkering with a GM V8 I used to own. I wanted to see what their universal kit would provide. To my surprise I found that they're working on a specific kit for us.
UUUMMMM....HELL ya its appropriate!!!!! this is how we learn... people through in new stuff... we tare it apart and talk about it... thats the reason i started this thread in the first place... to learn.... I want no blinders on.....

Looks like a cool kit.... But I have never personally liked the heat given off my a turbo.... and under a jeep in the middle of the brush sounds a bit schetcy.... and $2K more to boot....

BUT... thank you for bringing another option to the table!!!!!!

All are welcom to chime in.....

thx... p:-)

Last edited by wayoflife; 01-23-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

Ripp or sprintex? That is the question! This has been the best thread I have read in a while. I have an 09 rubicon and one of these two will be my next mod! The info u guys have posted really makes a man think! A half hour ago I was ready for bed, now I'm all fired up as the research begins! Let's just all remember what we are on this forum for, the love of jeeps!!! Looking forward to the upcoming reviews of the sprintex!

(0||||||0)
Old 01-23-2012, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow this is the best thread in several months! Love all the posts from everyone, even the ones that don't really know what they are talking about but that is ok.

Very interested because this is my next upgrade this year for my JK. I have been looking for a real power adder and was all set on the Ripp Mods but now I may wait. I gotta say hearing that STS is making a Turbo kit for the 3.8 really is intriguing. I love turbocharging more then supercharging. Personal preference I know but anyone who says Blowers are more reliable then turbos is not necessarily true. I have owned many many cars most of them forced induction and from MY experience I have had more issues with blowers ripping off belts then any issues with my turbocharged cars.

Hopefully we will see more kits in 2012 for our JK's.

RIPPMODS I do appreciate you guys doing dyno runs on a REAL dyno and not on a accelerometer. and showing true hp. tq. numbers. Nothing pisses me off more when people brag about there cars or trucks with inflated numbers from a DynoJet..

Oh and for the guy who says turbo cars aren't reliable and make too much heat. Take another look at where the turbo is located, not in the engine bay but underneath. Also notice how the exhaust side of the turbo is actually covered by a aluminum shield. This significantly reduces ex. temperature in or around the engine compartment. STS is also making the downpipe with flanges that are connected with V-band clamps. That is definitely a good sign that they are not taking short cuts with this kit.

A few of my cars with all original turbos
1993 RX7 turbo heavily modded
2001 Audi A4 1.8t chippped and had 145k when I traded it in on original turbo
1987 Porsche 944 Turbo original turbo lightly modified
2012 Audi A4 2.0t APR chipped and a ton or torque!!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

The problem with twin turbos for us the customer is retail cost. How much is a consumer going to pay for a good, reliable system? For me it is less then 6k. For someone else that might be less or it might be more. Twin turbos is expensive, and might be overkill for what the normal JK customer wants or needs. I mean I considered trading my 08 for a new one but I am almost done paying the thing off and for 5-6k I can have one that is faster then the 2012's.

I know a single turbo system will be more then adequate for me and probably 95% of the people on this forum for dd use.

Quick Reply: Best supercharger for the money... ripp? 505? Sprintex? other?????