Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best top bikini top flapping noise

Old 03-16-2007, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glwood6
What's with "dents along both sides of the track line"? What exactly does that mean and how did that happen?

glwood

It really messed it up and I'm very upset, Bestop said the duster was cut to short, and after I installed the top I stepped back and noticed denting along the track. When I removed the duster I about S_ _ _ _! So pissed! If you PM me an email I will send you pic's. If you know how to post them go ahead I don't care. I had to find 3 estimates plus car rental pricing and I want personal settlement for my time and effort spent messing with it. It will be in the body shop for a flipping week to repair! Dent people could do nothing. So far Bestop said they will take care of it and have been super with me on the phone very nice and understanding. Still waiting to hear from them as it's been over a week and a half now from the very first contact.

I feel good about them taking care of this issue.

Last edited by Jeepers; 03-16-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I emailed bestop about the flapping noise and they did not respond. I called and talked to service rep. He said I was the first one to complain about the flapping of the top on the speaker bar. He is going to call me back if they have a solution for the problem. Are people buying these and if so, am I the only one with the problem?
Old 03-19-2007, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by smack2020
I emailed bestop about the flapping noise and they did not respond. I called and talked to service rep. He said I was the first one to complain about the flapping of the top on the speaker bar. He is going to call me back if they have a solution for the problem. Are people buying these and if so, am I the only one with the problem?

Call customer service and talk to Leeann...I mentioned this to them too, I returned it for that reason. But I don't think you can do too much about it other than the noodle idea.

I now have purchased the roll up back panels bags that makes the factory top a Safari top. Seems to work fine.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:48 AM
JK Newbie

FYI:

I have the Mopar Bikini Top, Wind-jammer & Duster Combo, and I also noticed small dents just below the rail the top and duster tuck under. I'm not to worried about it because you cant see them with the top or duster on.

When tried to put it on under the required 70* (couldn't wait to try it out) it is extremely tight and I believe this is the cause. The instructions state that it could shrink up to an inch at cold temperatures.

Today it hit 72* here and I let it sit flat out in the driveway for a few minutes. It was like night and day, it went on and stretched a lot easier .

Also, from what I could tell it is the same as the the Bestop set except for the header is exactly like the factory soft top's and the Wind-jammer has a tinted window (Bestop's pics show clear). It does have some flaping noise at highway speed but I noticed the ends of the straps flapping more.

Last edited by chvynova; 03-27-2007 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:00 AM
JK Jedi Master

the bestop is clear window.

they should be exactly the same as far as the size spec.

Bestop used the factory specs making them..

Did you tell your dealer about the side denting? the sheet metal on these JK's are soo thin, thats the real problem its not the covers..

Someone should make a black steel strip the bolts up under that edge and sits flush with the grove. It would give it more support and wont bend the factory metal.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:56 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put on the safari mesh top and it is great. Of course, since it is mesh I get no flapping. I like the open feeling the mesh gives you. I hope they come out with a sunlighter fabric one for the JK though. That one keeps the rain out too, not that it rains here much.

Do you guys have the straps that hook over the sound bar and clip into the freedom top bolt holes? Seems like that should help with the flapping. Maybe if you/they sewed a loop in front of the sound/roll bar and clipped to that, it would solve the flapping. Just a thought.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rubimon
Do you guys have the straps that hook over the sound bar and clip into the freedom top bolt holes? Seems like that should help with the flapping.
Yes, the safari has the same straps. Still flaps.
I'd love the mesh, had it on my YJ, but the sun
torches me in Tampa without full cover.

Interested in the sunlighter whenever that comes out.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have been emailing Bestops and gave them that idea of putting straps on the the top that go around the front of the speaker bar. They have not got back to me, they are basically telling me tough, cant fix, if you dont like the top send it back. Does the mesh keep much of the sun out?
Old 03-28-2007, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rubimon
Do you guys have the straps that hook over the sound bar and clip into the freedom top bolt holes?

So the safari doesnt have a strap that comes under and attaches to the footman loop on the windshield. I got my safari top and then looked at the instructions, nothing matched up. I called Best top to see if there was a design change and if i needed new instructions. I was told there wasn't and to return the top as it was defective. I knew there had to be a change, but the rep insisted.

Quick Reply: best top bikini top flapping noise