Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to hide a key. Learned a lesson today. Jeep Security

Old 11-30-2014, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Best way to hide a key. Learned a lesson today. Jeep Security

Went surfing in my friends car (not the JK) and we were watched. When my buddy stashed his keys under the car they waited till we were gone and stole my wallet and iPhone. Then spent $10,000 on each of my cards. Im not responsible for the fraud but I am out an Iphone 5s which is gonna cost me at least $200-$300.

Got me thinking about how I can go about protecting my jeep and valuables when Im surfing. Right now I have a trailer hitch safe. Its a small combo lock that fits in the hitch receiver. I am reading on Amazon reviews that it is no longer secure and that people have been having their keys ripped off in turn giving access to the inside of their vehicle. Thieves have figured out how to crack these quickly and easily.

I was thinking of a Tuffy Security Drawer under the drivers side seat. I can use the Hitch Safe and then lock the valuables in the security drawer. If a thief breaks into the hitch safe, opens the car and then has to deal with another security box, I doubt they would continue on. Unless the security box isnt that secure and in addition my car can be stolen now, so I guess thats not good either.

So I guess my question is, how are you securing your valuables in the JK? (I really just want to secure wallet and phone of myself and surf friends) Are certain name brands stronger and tougher than the other. I planned on spending $75 - $150 on something. Would like to do this once and correctly. Outdoors sports people I guess would be of the best help.

This entire incident even has me thinking about getting an aftermarket alarm system for my vehicle also. I drive it into Mexico for surfing once a month. My stuff got stolen in front of 5 million dollar homes in Manhattan Beach, CA. They are targeting surfers. Now just freaking out about the JK. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tuffy conceal carry under the seat drawer is the way to go. If you need more room you can get the passenger side one too.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also have a Tuffy Security box under the seat.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I have the tuffy also. Seems stout, but I have never tried to break into it. Has the option of key or combo.

Here is a comparison.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...ctures-133225/

Or look into some kind of keyless entry
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...-entry-284869/
Old 11-30-2014, 08:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I loved mine in the JKU so much so bought th passenger side one for my JK..... Alas it doesn't fit. If you need one I'll make you a great deal to get it out of my garage.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:45 PM
JK Newbie

Man you guys have it bad out there with pricks watching the lots and stealing your stuff during a surf. Not much of a problem out here, you gotta use the key pocket on your wetsuit and take it with you.

Those lock boxes are a good solution to stash stuff in the jeep. Anything to make it more difficult on these scum.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:37 PM
JK Newbie

I have a hideakey in my engine compartment beside the fuse box stuck to the front quarter panel. It looks like it's an engine part where I have it and have had no issues

Hope this helps
Old 11-30-2014, 10:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by FLJKU
I loved mine in the JKU so much so bought th passenger side one for my JK..... Alas it doesn't fit. If you need one I'll make you a great deal to get it out of my garage.

Why does the passenger side model does not fit your JK?
Old 12-01-2014, 02:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard of others having a key made that doesnt have the electronic portion. Gives you access, but you have to get inside to your factory key to use the fob to turn off the alarm. I too use the Tuffy underseat lock box.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I use the Tuffy concealed carry drawer as well, but with they combination tumbler. I lock my keys right in it!

I don't know that it would keep out someone with a full tool set & unlimited time, but it will take a while. Also, most people don't even realize it's there!

Just remember to latch it before driving. That bitch will come flying out at a red light and nail you in the heel!

Quick Reply: Best way to hide a key. Learned a lesson today. Jeep Security