Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bestop Soft Doors Installed

Old 07-01-2009, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They look good. Have you had it in the rain yet? I've been considdering getting a pair of these also.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

First summer shower today. Was being driven in to the office and then parked outside. No real leakage to speak of though I don't drive on a highway to work. My guess is you're talking sticking to 55-65 during rain on a highway.

Originally Posted by saltman
Maybe they changed since I had mine on the 2dr (08) but I HATED mine. They leaked horribly and basically were just decoration. The tops of them bowed out at highway speeds (over 45mph) (yes you can adjust it a little but it wears and over time the adjustment lasts about 10 minutes). The latches were ridiculous.

For me it was about the same as having no doors at all. The only thing they provided was a little protection from water splashing up. They surely didn't block any water that came downward. They were just more frustration than they were worth.
Salt the majority of the posts about these and other soft options I read before buying these were like yours. My only real question is wtf were you expecting when you ordered them? They are small tube frames with tent material over them. They are not billed as "leakproof."

What kind of latches were you expecting? Door handles, again, on a tent? If there is anything these doors do is block rain from above. Either they have changed dramatically in a year or you had them installed or closed wrong.

Again, I'll make no bones about it. These are an alternative to throwing your factory real doors on and off.

-If you are looking for a leakproof, stylish doorhandle, never gonna bow door... trust me don't buy these and just use the doors you already have.

-If you want to, as I did this morning, spend literally a minute tossing doors on after putting your soft top up for a morning shower these are your doors.

-If you're picking up a date on a rainy night put on your real doors

-If your wife is pro, like mine, she'll be happy to deal with some leakage while you're turning down that trail that "looks fun"

-If you live in a rain forest... stick to real doors.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you can, would you post pics with the door tops off? I'm looking at just the lower parts for the summer.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Will do tomorrow
Old 07-07-2009, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

xerofall: Updated the pics in the original post. Lemme know if you'd like any other angles but I think that covers it.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you so much! I'm going to get the rear doors first, to go with my duster extention cover. That way I can go doorless up front, or even go with the doors on just the front.

Thanks again.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:45 PM
JK Freak

Just got my fronts in on Friday. Rears should be in Wed. I really like them so far. Much easier to take on and off. I'm planning on running the all rear round. Sold my hard doors. Could not wait to get rid of them (Dropped them off yesterday to get shipped to UT).

The driver side fit much better than the passenger side. The latch is a little high making it a bit tough to latch. Nor my wife or kids was able to get either door closed. So it looks like I will be closing them for everyone. Also, the top half of the passenger side is difficult to separate from the bottom. I'm going to call Bestop and see if they have any suggestions. The passenger side also came with what looks like an oil stain.

I did add a small piece of foam on each side to eliminate the flapping between the bars and fabric.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

1 more thing.....

I've got the rugged ridge mirror movers and they do not work very well with these doors. Cannot see the passenger mirror at all any more (it was difficult before). And the driver side is not that great either. Will be looking for some new mirrors.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the doors, they are on my list.. but im waiting for bestop to fix the sealing issues.. Im one of those pansies that think that spending $800 on "tent material" is too much if they leak.

Still tho, thanks for the write up and I cannot wait for bestop to get the kinks out of them..
Old 07-20-2009, 11:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by hurstrescue
Just got my fronts in on Friday. Rears should be in Wed. I really like them so far. Much easier to take on and off. I'm planning on running the all rear round. Sold my hard doors. Could not wait to get rid of them (Dropped them off yesterday to get shipped to UT).

The driver side fit much better than the passenger side. The latch is a little high making it a bit tough to latch. Nor my wife or kids was able to get either door closed. So it looks like I will be closing them for everyone. Also, the top half of the passenger side is difficult to separate from the bottom. I'm going to call Bestop and see if they have any suggestions. The passenger side also came with what looks like an oil stain.

I did add a small piece of foam on each side to eliminate the flapping between the bars and fabric.
I spoke to Bestop. They had me adjust a couple of bolts near the passenger side, lower hinge and hat fixed the latch issue. Now it works better than the other! I was also able to wash out whatever the stain was.

As far as the top and bottom sections being difficult to separate, they just just bend the metal to make it work. I'll give it a try!

The rear doors should be in Wednesday, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they do with the top up. I'm hoping it is tolerable to take to Nags Head next month.

Last edited by hurstrescue; 07-20-2009 at 11:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Bestop Soft Doors Installed