Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bestop Soft Doors Installed

Old 06-08-2014, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intalled 4 door 2-piece BestTop Doors

Went really smooth. As usual Andreas at Fortec in Roswell, Ga. steered me well. It took less than an hour and I need 2 tools....socket set and screw driver. They come off and easy for easy...especially the bottoms. My 12-year can easily take the doors on and off. Not thrilled with not have at least a driver side mirror when soft doors are on.....but really like these doors.Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep a.jpg
Views:	968
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	558268
Old 06-08-2014, 08:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just picked up a set of used front doors. Going to order relocation brackets for the mirrors this week. If I like the doors I will order the rears.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR
I just picked up a set of used front doors. Going to order relocation brackets for the mirrors this week. If I like the doors I will order the rears.
will you posted a picture if mirror re-locator bracket once you install it?
Old 08-31-2014, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

Default Things to remember for a successful install - Part 1

I completed an install of the front doors for my JKU. The install was easy however for the best ride it is important to do all the things recommended in this forum and I will recap them here.

1. Bend the lugs on the window so that the top of the door is pressed hard against the top of the frame. This is easy to do with a piece of small-bore pipe around 2-3 ft long.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bend.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	573704

2. Make sure the nuts for the door latch and the lower hinge are loosened when you install the door. Then fit and close and latch the door. Then tighten the nuts. I did the lower hinge nuts first then the door latch ones.

Door latch nuts - 3/8" wrench

Name:	Latch.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	573705

Lower hinge nuts (hidden behind a velcro flap) - 7/16"wrench

Name:	Hinge.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	573706

3. Get some pipe insulator and cut to lengths to fit as shown - this stops the canvas flapping against the metal door rods at speed.

Name:	Pipe.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	573707

4. Get some velcro and thread through the top of the door - this prevents the top of the door bowing open at high speed. I have had the Jeep up to 85 mph with no opening at all, with these simple velcro fasteners. It's true that opening the associated window will also stop it opening, however sometimes in the Texas summer you need that A/C on and you're moving fast to get back home.

Name:	Dangle.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	573708

[Part 2 following...]

Last edited by Alasdhair; 08-31-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:42 AM
JK Newbie

Default Things to remember for a successful install - Part 2

[Continued from Part 1]

5. The velcro is easily looped around the sun visor and fastened. It will stay attached to the door when unfastened.

Name:	Velcroed.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	573709

6. Get some mirrors for visibility even if you don't need them for legal reasons.

Name:	Mirror.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	573710

7. All done! I will get some back doors next summer if I have enough riders for the back as well as the front.

Name:	Done.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	573711

Last edited by Alasdhair; 08-31-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by saltman
Maybe they changed since I had mine on the 2dr (08) but I HATED mine. They leaked horribly and basically were just decoration. The tops of them bowed out at highway speeds (over 45mph) (yes you can adjust it a little but it wears and over time the adjustment lasts about 10 minutes). The latches were ridiculous.

For me it was about the same as having no doors at all. The only thing they provided was a little protection from water splashing up. They surely didn't block any water that came downward. They were just more frustration than they were worth.
Friend at work has the same issue of them bowing out at highway speed.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default How to fix bowing/flapping problems

Originally Posted by GunDude
Friend at work has the same issue of them bowing out at highway speed.
The bowing issue is solved by a combination of actions.
  1. Bend the window in towards the top of the door by bending the lugs at the bottom that fit into the half-door, this also assists with rain-proofing
  2. Attach a strip of velcro to the top of the window frame and attach to the sunshield - then you can drive at 85mph and it won't bow

I posted some photos about how to do this above. It takes a few minutes, costs almost nothing, and works.

Any latch issue is resolved by loosening the nuts at the latch and the hinge, closing the door, and then tightening the nuts back up. Then it closes with very little effort.

I posted a couple of photos on this above. It takes a few minutes, and has excellent results.

Bottom Line: The Besttop Soft Doors are an excellent inexpensive product that works great. They need mild tweaking but the install is less intrusive and requires less mechanical aptitude than many of the mods that JK owners undertake.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Good info and tips in this resurrected thread. I nabbed a set of these doors recently and will put these tips to use right away.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:38 AM
JK Freak

I really want a set of these. Wanted to buy used but can't find any...ugh. Guess I will have to order from Amazon.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just picked up a set for my 2dr used a month ago a bargain at 200.00 this will come in handy come spring time hard top off soft top on, it was a real PITA to constantly take off the factory doors and put them back on at days end this is an excellent solution thanks for the tips on installing and improving the fit

Quick Reply: Bestop Soft Doors Installed