Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beware:AEV Hemi Conversion kit leaky radiators and blown catalytic converters

Old 06-30-2014, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Beware:AEV Hemi Conversion kit leaky radiators and blown catalytic converters

For anyone thinking about purchasing the AEV hemi conversion kit or a Jeep with it already in it, beware of the following:

1). The radiators leak from the core within months,even weeks of use. ive had 3 replaced under warranty and finally gave up on them and had the fourth one custom made.

2). Catalytic converters disintegrate in less than a year.

3). Engine code being thrown every several weeks regarding slow O2 sensor response. Replaced the sensor but still does the same thing. Still chasing this one down.

4). transmission cooler lines start to leak in less than a year.

There are several posts about the leaky radiators and failed cats on their forum but they have gone unaddressed. this conversion was done several years ago and im still wasting time and money fixing problems with these aev kit parts.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you contact AEV? I had an issue and emailed Dave Harriton directly. He didn't do shit to help me out, but he answered my email. My issue was with a dealer and wheels so I guess it was a little thing to them, but a hemi conversion might get a response. Either way looking back on it the whole experience turned me off towards aev. ARB bumpers have replaced theirs on my build list and I when I move up to a 3.5" my aev 2.5 will be sold and replaced with a non-aev lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2014, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKJB
For anyone thinking about purchasing the AEV hemi conversion kit or a Jeep with it already in it, beware of the following:

1). The radiators leak from the core within months,even weeks of use. ive had 3 replaced under warranty and finally gave up on them and had the fourth one custom made.

2). Catalytic converters disintegrate in less than a year.

3). Engine code being thrown every several weeks regarding slow O2 sensor response. Replaced the sensor but still does the same thing. Still chasing this one down.

4). transmission cooler lines start to leak in less than a year.

There are several posts about the leaky radiators and failed cats on their forum but they have gone unaddressed. this conversion was done several years ago and im still wasting time and money fixing problems with these aev kit parts.
Thanks for the warning :-)
Old 07-01-2014, 11:01 PM
JK Newbie

AEV's customer service does indeed suck. I emailed them about getting a fifth wheel that had been discontinued and didn't even receive a reply.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK_Convert
AEV's customer service does indeed suck. I emailed them about getting a fifth wheel that had been discontinued and didn't even receive a reply.
Thanks for sharing! I will spend my money with some other company. I just hope that a lot of people see this :-)
Old 07-02-2014, 05:29 AM
JK Newbie

FWIW...
I've had my kit for over a year and 12k miles with no issues whatsoever. No overheating, no leaking. I had the power steering line rub and split and the place that installed the kit replaced that for free via AEV.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by etl330
Did you contact AEV? I had an issue and emailed Dave Harriton directly. He didn't do shit to help me out, but he answered my email. My issue was with a dealer and wheels so I guess it was a little thing to them, but a hemi conversion might get a response. Either way looking back on it the whole experience turned me off towards aev. ARB bumpers have replaced theirs on my build list and I when I move up to a 3.5" my aev 2.5 will be sold and replaced with a non-aev lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep we(my install shop at the time,non-dealer) dealt directly with them. they admitted they had bad epoxy core radiators to us but kept sending me them and selling them anyways. dont even get me started on the tech support. on one of the rads that leaked from the core they insisted i replace the worm gear clamps on the hoses with mopar tension clamps and send them a picture before they warranty it again.

but once i put the pedal down to that 6.4 nothing seems to matter anymore lol
Old 07-02-2014, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

What bothers me is the bad customer service from AEV, the lack of response and not admitting to a problem with their product! Very, very bad business IMHO! ...And blaming it on a "non mopar" clamp??? Get out of here!
Old 07-02-2014, 09:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by eumel789

Thanks for sharing! I will spend my money with some other company. I just hope that a lot of people see this :-)
It too deterred me from buying their product again
Old 07-03-2014, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK_Convert
It too deterred me from buying their product again
Luckily there are other vendors to give our money to :-)

Quick Reply: Beware:AEV Hemi Conversion kit leaky radiators and blown catalytic converters