Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: BFG KM2 or GY Duratrac or GY MT/R
BFG KM2
43.48%
GY Duratrac
34.78%
GY MT/R
21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

BFG KM2 vs GoodYear Duratrac vs GoodYear MT/R 35 inch size

Old 07-18-2013, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BFG KM2 vs GoodYear Duratrac vs GoodYear MT/R 35 inch size

Help me decide for my use!

-Mostly go mudding when I offroad
-Not too much of a crawler
-Want good tire life for mostly onroad
-Travel about 10 miles a day
-Want aggressive looking tire, don't want oversized street looking tires such as Falkens sorry.
-Don't care too much about tire noise
-Weather is Arizona Weather so mostly dry sometimes rain but nothing noteworthy.

I have the Rubicon KM's and I am quite unimpressed by them but I've heard great things about the KM2.

I'm upgrading to 35's, the Nitto Trail Grapplers are also a good but they seem to wear alright from what the guys at Discount Tire tell me.

Thanks,

Ralph

Last edited by sundevil; 07-18-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I personally would go trail grappler ot Toyo MT. Both are great all around mud tires that balance easy and have very tough sidewalls.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:13 PM
RND
JK Enthusiast

To,choose between the THREE- KM2s. Hopefully others will keep it to your original three
Old 07-18-2013, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was in the same situation, I wanted the KM2 but since they are impossible to find now I went with the Goodyear MTR. I am very happy with them and glad I did not go with the KM2.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

I was torn between trail grapplers and KM2. I decided to wait about 4 weeks for km2's to get back in stock. I have now been driving on them for a week. I am still torn with the decision. I decided on km2 because of significantly lower tire weight. Nittos are tougher, look better, cheaper, but weigh 10 lbs per tire more.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

Here is pic

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1188133109.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	479472
Old 07-18-2013, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GolfnGuns
I was torn between trail grapplers and KM2. I decided to wait about 4 weeks for km2's to get back in stock. I have now been driving on them for a week. I am still torn with the decision. I decided on km2 because of significantly lower tire weight. Nittos are tougher, look better, cheaper, but weigh 10 lbs per tire more.
Don't discount the weight difference! 10lbs of tire per corner will eat into any savings very quickly at the pump! I've got duratracs right now due to cost savings, low weight, and good on road manners. It's a DD. I have wheeled them a fair bit, but we are talking Oklahoma dirt climbs, not Rocky Mountain tire-eating boulders here. I have zero to complain about with my duratracs...
Old 07-18-2013, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can I down-vote MT/Rs? When I first bought the new style, I loved loved loved them. Then, they started to wear and I started to experience all the issues everyone talks about on here. I know, plenty of ppl will say they have no issues blah blah blah but the reality is I will never buy another set and couldn't recommend them to anyone else.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:00 AM
JK Newbie

KM2's ftw, I run 36's on mine and love them, good on all terrain whether rocks, dirt or mud. Make sure you find a good psi for the road so they wear evenly and no cupping, and rotate them frequently. I also ran 35" KM1's for 5 years in the mud and they did great.
The D rating on the KM2's make them stiffer than the Duratrax though. My buddy ran 33's and at 17 psi he had more sidewall flex than mine at 10. His are on his DD and he's had no complaints with the Duratrax either.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:10 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input guys I think I will still keep with BFG and go with the KM2's. I forgot the weight of the tire is a factor to consider as well.

Quick Reply: BFG KM2 vs GoodYear Duratrac vs GoodYear MT/R 35 inch size