Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BFG AT KO2 vs. Goodyear Duratrac

Old 06-16-2017, 06:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default BFG AT KO2 vs. Goodyear Duratrac

My KM2's are getting to where I will be replacing them probably late summer. My oldest daughter will be driving soon, and the KM2's are TERRIBLE in the snow unless it is deep. I'll be deciding between the KO2 and the Duratrac.

Has anyone here run both? I'd love to hear thoughts on which has better ride, traction in snow, rain, off-road, and which one is quieter.

Everyone has opinions, but hearing from someone who has run them back to back would be great. I'll be going with 34 x 10.5 x 17 if I go with the KO2, or 285/70 (75?)/17 on some wheels with the Duratracs.

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2017, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I've had both in load range E on the JK albeit in different sizes. Dura's were 255/75-17 and my ko2's are 315/70-17. Both were on stock wheels and had approximately the same mileage on them.

My dura's rode fairly squishy in comparison to the ko2. I ran the duratracs on dry days and put other tires on for wet and inclement weather. The current ko2's are my daily tire so they've got to handle the rain and I put them on the highway daily. They're very quiet but I'm also super anal on tire rotations to keep them that way. 3k rotations with usually 7k balances. The weight hadn't shifted much but they still ride like butter and are quiet.

I will say that the rubber compound on the ko2 is much softer than I anticipated when I bought them based on my previous BFG tire experiences and other brands I've run in the meantime.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never had the KM2s. I have the K02s 285 70 17. Best looking and performing tire I've had. Handles great and super quiet on and off road. A friend has the new Ford Raptor and they come with K02s from factory. Sharp looking tire.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

No experience with the Duratracs, just posting what others have previously mentioned.

Negatives:
Thread life is not as good as the KO2s.
When 1st installed, they are great but as they wear tend to not perform well in snow.

Positives
Great all around tire, that is not too noisy on road.

When it comes to comparing tires, I tend to lean more on user feedback ratings on Tirerack.com. It's like Amazon for tires, so you should get a good overall feel of what a particular tire is good at, and where it may fall short at as well, and then decide what is personally important to you.

Duratrac
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ngler+DuraTrac

KO2:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rain+T%2FA+KO2

The Duratracs and KO2s seem to be very similar tires. The KO2 is newer, so may have a slight edge in some categories when comparing them.

No complaints thus far on my KO2s. I really like them, and would buy them again.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-17-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've run Duratrac 315/70r17 (D) and I currently run KO2 35x12.50r17 (E).

Looks: I like BFG better
Balance: BFG balance better. Haven't had to have DT rebalance my BFG like I did with Goodyear tires
Street: Similar
Loudness: Duratrac a little humm, KO2 almost none
Rain: KO2. Duratrac has a greater tendency to get sucked into a puddle.
Snow: No idea, I live in Central Texas
Dirt: Both are great for AT performance
Mud: Duratrac has slightly bigger voids for better mud performance. I try to avoid mud anyway. Neither does great. These are AT, not MT. Duh!
Rock: KO2 seem to grip better

In the last 8 years I've run two sets of Coopers, two sets of Goodyear, two sets of BFG and one from Mickey Thompson. Overall, I like BFG tires the best and at this point have no plans to buy any other brand going forward (except maybe Cooper).

When I get tired of running an AT, I'll go back to the KM2 or anticipated KM3.

Last edited by TxJeepers; 06-17-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks, everyone for the great info! Anyone out there who can give more feedback on snow/winter traction?

Last edited by dmwil; 06-18-2017 at 03:44 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BFG by far for snow. Had KO AT' on my last TJ. Only 2 sets in 10 years. I just installed KO2's on my JK to replace factory tires... Swear by them for daily driver as well as medium off roading. Running 35/12.50/18's on factory Sahara wheels with 3" BDS lift and 1.5" spacers.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

4wd and 4wp have a ridiculously good sale going on if you're ready to buy. 315/70-17 bfg ko2's are $199.99 each and if you use the coupon code below then you could have all 5 shipped to your door for under $1000. They'll also match that price locally if you have a store close by that may have them in stock.

JEEPDAD*F84P2W
Old 06-18-2017, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
4wd and 4wp have a ridiculously good sale going on if you're ready to buy. 315/70-17 bfg ko2's are $199.99 each and if you use the coupon code below then you could have all 5 shipped to your door for under $1000. They'll also match that price locally if you have a store close by that may have them in stock.

JEEPDAD*F84P2W
Yeah, I saw that deal! Unfortunately, those are bigger than I want to go, or I'd be all over it.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default KO2 vs. Duratrac

Originally Posted by dmwil
Thanks, everyone for the great info! Anyone out there who can give more feedback on snow/winter traction?
Night and day in the snow. Duratracs are excellent in snow and on ice. I have run both and wouldn't hesitate to put Duratracs on. Where they are not so great is in the mud. They don't clear the mud as well and depending on the mud can turn in to almost slicks. They were okay in sand. As far as cold, snowy weather you will love the duratracs. They are a little noiser as they wear down, hum a bit but not bad.

Quick Reply: BFG AT KO2 vs. Goodyear Duratrac