Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BFG AT KO2 vs. Goodyear Duratrac

Old 06-24-2017, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the ko2's in 35x12.50x17 when they first came out and put 35k on them and still have more than half the tread left with 5th wheel rotation. I have driven them on tons of trails from moab 2 high elevation Colorado. I have taken them on sand dunes and off roading in the snowy mountains and they have been great. Did a snow run with other jk's and the jk with muds were all over the ko2's went right through .I believe they also have a tougher sidewall than the duratrac. I have beaten them pretty good and there is no chunks or cracking. The best part is 80 mph going to the trails. My only complaint is like how the muds look more aggressive . That being said I am now moving up to a 37 and almost ordered the ko2 again but decided to give the cooper stt pro a try. Not much snow in. Vegas
Old 06-24-2017, 12:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Littlebeas
Man, it's weird you're trying to decide between the same two tires I am at the same time, thanks everyone for posting. One of the things I was shocked to see when reading the reviews on the KO2's was several complaints on premature tread wear; odd since I've had a couple sets of KO's that seemed to last forever. Are any of you seeing that with the redesign? Sorry to hijack the thread,
I have the KO2s on my half ton truck (as well as one Jeep) and they are holding up great. I have about 25,000 road miles and about 10,000 dirt and sand miles on them, they don't get babied on the truck. They aren't as good as my KM2s (on another jeep) when it gets really sloppy but haven't left me stranded yet. They are quiet and comfortable on the road and I'll put them on the truck again. I don't have any experience with the Goodyear tire so this isn't really a comparison.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

theres the real answer.
Originally Posted by JKcity
Let me sum up, both seem good, splitting hairs, opinions vary you'll be happy with either.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lloydsmale
theres the real answer.
totally fair, I'm just a cheap ass and obsess over the details when making a bigger purchase; which tires are to me with three girls in college at the same time now.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Littlebeas
totally fair, I'm just a cheap ass and obsess over the details when making a bigger purchase; which tires are to me with three girls in college at the same time now.
Well, you may have just missed one of the best deals on KO2's that I've seen, but if you're in the market and the deal Karl mentioned is still available, you won't want to wait much longer. I'm a cheap ass also, and wasn't in a hurry when I started shopping. After 2-3 months of looking around, I finally ran across a good deal at just under $1300 for 5, of the same tires Karl mentioned below. (5) 315/70/R17's at under $1K is a rare find.

Originally Posted by karls10jk
4wd and 4wp have a ridiculously good sale going on if you're ready to buy. 315/70-17 bfg ko2's are $199.99 each and if you use the coupon code below then you could have all 5 shipped to your door for under $1000. They'll also match that price locally if you have a store close by that may have them in stock.

JEEPDAD*F84P2W
Old 06-27-2017, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had 5 year Duratracs put on at my local goodyear for $1,145.67 out the door. Then the manager wanted my old tires which were in good shape, he gave me $100. I was too lazy to sell on my own so $1,045.67 out the door for all five.

Don't take the first price offered by dealer. Surprised with a little effort how much they came down. I think initial price quoted was like $1,375 and some change.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did have a bad experience with the Duratracs sidewalls (not in the Jeep, but doing offroad either way), so it's not a tire that i will recommend if you're doing rocks, but that's just my personal opinion, maybe i had bad luck, who knows, but i did manage to loose 2 of them due to sidewall cuts, discount honored the certs, no questions asked, so that saved the day.

I had a good experience with them driving is snow, no issues in that area, until the sipping starting going away , by 25k miles the sipping looked completely different , literally gone from the tire, i didn't realize their sipping runs so superficial until then, and winter/snow traction diminished considerable, not counting the noisier they got with miles, noise is not a factor in my tire selection anyways, but something i did notice with the Duratracs, i wasn't exactly expecting all this little gotchas, considering at one point Duratracs were a rave in the internet for whatever reason, and that hyped was what got me into them. I retired them with 32k miles, sold all of 5 for $400 in CL, never thought about them anymore after that.

I have KO2's in the Jeep now, have had 2 sets, 33's and currently 35's, lot better sidewalls without a doubt, and their sipping runs very deep in the tire, so no issues with loosing them with miles, you could run the tire down all the way to 5/32, and the sipping will be there, heck you could even run them lower if you wanted, and still you'll have some sipping in them pretty much until the end of the tire, both sets were brand new, the set in the Jeep have now 42k miles in them, my original set in 33's are now mounted in my Silverado truck, 55K miles and still meat left to spare for another 10-15k miles, The set in the Jeep are down to 10/32, very little noise compared to when they were brand new, though the ones in the truck make more noise, but none of them have lost their winter traction, they do great in anything i've put them trough, honestly a damn good AT tire that you can count on to go outdoors, or simple drive for pleasure or work.

I'll be making the switch in the Jeep, as i want to run MT tires now, but KO2's without a doubt, are prob the best AT tires i've had in a very long time, will have no issues reaching 60-70k miles easy if i decided to keep them in the Jeep.

I'll go with KO2's again in my truck when the current set reaches 5/32.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm leaning right now slightly toward the KO2. How close is the 33 x 10.5 x 17 size to the KM2 in 255/80/17? They look like they'd almost be identical, and BFG lists their outer diameter as very close.

If they are about the same size, then I don't have to spring for wheels like I would with the Duratracs. That saves a bit of money.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info rsmwrangler... big help
Old 06-28-2017, 09:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, one advantage to the KO2 is that right now 4WheelParts has them for $199 each in 35" in Load Range C.

Quick Reply: BFG AT KO2 vs. Goodyear Duratrac