Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BFG AT KO2 vs. Goodyear Duratrac

Old 06-20-2017, 02:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
Night and day in the snow. Duratracs are excellent in snow and on ice. I have run both and wouldn't hesitate to put Duratracs on. Where they are not so great is in the mud. They don't clear the mud as well and depending on the mud can turn in to almost slicks. They were okay in sand. As far as cold, snowy weather you will love the duratracs. They are a little noiser as they wear down, hum a bit but not bad.
Thanks! This is what I'm getting at. Have you run Ko2's in the snow? This is one of the main comparisons for which I'm looking. That's why I need someone who has owned both or driven both extensively.

While I've heard for years that Duratracs are outstanding in snow, I may run into someone saying the same thing about KO2's, but if they've never driven anything else, each owner will think their respective tires are great. However, if someone has driven both, they should be able to tell me if one is superior or if they are close.

I've had 2 sets of KO's, including a current set on my F150. To put it mildly, they suck in the snow and in the rain. I've read that the KO2 is now "snowflake" rated and is improved, so I'm trying to see if that is indeed the case. Honesty, I think my KM2's suck in the snow, as mud tires do, but they are nearly as good as my KO's. I'm really hoping the KO2 is indeed improved.

If I go with the KO2, I can stick with the stock rims and go with the 34x10.5's, which are nearly identical in size with the KM2's. If I go Duratrac, I'm going to pick up a set of wheels with slight backspacing to push the tires out a little to make room for the wider 285's. It will be worth the cost of the wheels and tires if they are superior in snow, rain, and ride.

I appreciate all the feedback and experiences with these tires! I'm still looking for a northerner who has had both in the snow.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only speak with my own experience, Duratracs are awesome. First thing I did to two JK's now. They are killer in the snow, I don't do a ton of offroading but hit a Jamboree once a year and last one was loaded with mud, it rained for three days straight, they did incredible, I never got stuck once. Many were stuck and had to be winched out. My stock Jeep with Duratracs not once.

All this is purely unscientific of course, but throw in a near road tire quietness on highway and I can't find a fault with Duratrac.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran the KO2's on my TJ and Duratracs on my WK2. I have very little snow driving experience, but I drove up to Vermont on a ski trip with the Duratracs and we got hit with a substantial storm. They were plowing 2 out of 3 lanes on the interstate and I was able to cruise past all of the traffic by taking the unplowed lane. It had a good 3" on it and we were very comfortable at around 60. The WK2 had QD2 which is also fantastic in snow, but I was amazed at how much confidence the set up gave me as a whole. We wound up parking my stepbrother's new Subaru and piling into my Jeep so that we could make better time because it wouldn't hang in the snow-covered lane. I read others comment on mud performance. My experience is that the KO2's are absolutely terrible, clogging and becoming slicks immediately. The Duratracs did much better in my opinion. Clearly still an AT, but much better at clearing out the tread. For road manners and noise, the KO2's are the clear winner in my book. They handled better in turns and made much less noise. I drive hard, the WK2 with the hemi was very heavy and I didn't rotate properly so take that for what it's worth, but I treated the KO2's the same way.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:07 AM
JK Freak

Default Tire comparison

I am again running Duratracs. Here on Long Island, we get rain, some snow and ice. The Duras give me confidence Which is why I went with them again on this new Wrangler. Also, out here if you should have a tire problem, there are Goodyear retailers all over the place. Will continue with the Duras in the future.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

So honest question (not a jab). I've heard (but never seen one do this) that the Duratracs are vulnerable to sidewall cuts in the rocks. You folks running them, have you experienced sidewall issues?

I've only run KM2s up until this set of KO2s (though I've used the old BFG ATs on my DDs and loved them). The KM2s have really stood up to the rocks. I'm hoping to have a similar experience with the KO2s but with some road manners. (I don't do mud so that is the capability that I value least).
Old 06-22-2017, 07:56 PM
JK Newbie

Man, it's weird you're trying to decide between the same two tires I am at the same time, thanks everyone for posting. One of the things I was shocked to see when reading the reviews on the KO2's was several complaints on premature tread wear; odd since I've had a couple sets of KO's that seemed to last forever. Are any of you seeing that with the redesign? Sorry to hijack the thread,
Old 06-23-2017, 02:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same decision to make for my new Silverado. I wanted a more aggressive tire then came on it. It came down to duratracs or ko2s. Ive have a few sets of the original good rich at's and they were quiet, did well off road (well as good as an at tire will be) an wore like steal. A few buddys who run duratracs complained about noise when they wear down and short life and there good snow qualitys faded fast with wear. So I went with the ko2. Another tire that might be better the either of these is the nito ridge grappler. I'm running them on my jk and there a bit more aggressive the the ko2 or duratrac. Do well in snow although not quite as good as the ko2s. Seem to do better in mud they either tire, have wore well so far and although a bit noisier the a ko2 about the same in that respect as a duratrac. One other thing is both the ko2 and nitto have stronger sidewall and a lot less mushy ride but because of it a bit stiffer ride too.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Littlebeas
Man, it's weird you're trying to decide between the same two tires I am at the same time, thanks everyone for posting. One of the things I was shocked to see when reading the reviews on the KO2's was several complaints on premature tread wear; odd since I've had a couple sets of KO's that seemed to last forever. Are any of you seeing that with the redesign? Sorry to hijack the thread,
My KO's on my old Ford are wearing forever, but suck in the rain and aren't great in the snow, so that's a good question. I'd be fine with a softer compound, but only if it improves rain/snow traction, especially snow. Are the KO2's snowflake stamped? I've seen some of those poor wear reviews right on BFG's own web site.

The KO's on the Ford are just as noisy as my KM2's, too, which is a surprise.

Last edited by dmwil; 06-23-2017 at 02:36 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:42 AM
JK Newbie

Yes.. KO2's are snowflake stamped... I have no complaints on my 35/12.50's...
Old 06-24-2017, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Let me sum up, both seem good, splitting hairs, opinions vary you'll be happy with either.

Quick Reply: BFG AT KO2 vs. Goodyear Duratrac