Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BFG AT KO2 vs. Goodyear Duratrac

Old 06-29-2017, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BFGs are good but not on ice. had mine siped and they are great now in rain and snow.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:15 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwil
Thanks, everyone for the great info! Anyone out there who can give more feedback on snow/winter traction?
I've had both in 315x75x16 tires... I drive on ice 5 to 6 months a year...

Both do really well on ice, slight edge to the KO2... slight.

The duratracks won't wear out if you rotate... like I had 75,000 on them when I changed tires. Ko2's are goig nto wear faster I think... but I guessing you will still get over 60,000 if you rotate.

Ko2... quiet by an edge over duratrack.

Ko2 balance- no problems yet? I had good tires on 4 duratracks... (5 tire rotation) one was always not so good- at half tread I went to 4 tire rotation and through that nasty one on the back for a spare only. It just was a "little off" always lots of weights.

I recently jumped up to the 37x12.50x17 Ko2 tires... that's the first time I've bought the same tire pattern twice.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

when you get recommendations on snow and ice performance keep a couple things in mind. Few really have experience with it. Most that do don't have enough to really say that one tire is better then another. We have BIG snow here and have it 4 months out of the year. Icy roads are the norm not the exception in the winter. My comment was allways that if nascar ran one race a year up here in the winter my mother would whip jimmy Johnson. That said NO big tire is good on snow and ice.

What works is a narrow tire with lots of sipping. I run 305 70 17 ridge grapplers. There decent in snow and ice. Better then mud tires by a long shot but don't hold a candle to the Michelins on my wifes buick!! Really snow isn't even the problem. If theres a foot of snow on the road about any tire on a jeep will work well. Its when the snow is plowed and the ice is the road surface that different tires come into play. For and example a couple years ago we got a BIG snow storm the day before deer season. Ive got a 3 mile ride into my blind and was the first one through. I had 31 1050 bfg ats (old style) on the jeep and the snow was higher then my front bumper (2 inch lift) I drove right through it. had to back up and take a run only one time through a drift. I'm sure the same thing would have happened no matter what tire I had on it. Now run that same jeep down an icy road ( I did many times) with its half wore out 10 year old hardened rubber tires and it will make your hair stand up on end. Especially if you attempt it in 4 wheel drive. If you have never tried to get control of a short wheel based vehicle in 4x4 once it started sliding your a lucky man. It will gray your hair. I don't care what tires are on it.

So I take it with a grain of salt when someone says there X brand tires is fantastic in snow and ice. Most of the time there either borrowing someone elses opinion off the internet or live in a place that gets 2 or 3 inches of snow a year. Every tire is a compromise. I bought the ridge grapplers for my jeep thinking they would be decent in most stuff and look good. If I wanted something that was the most practical tire for me where I live I sure wouldn't have got a 70 aspect tire. But being vain looks meant something to me. Bottom in your not going to convince me that duratracs are better the ko2s or vise versa unless you bring two identical jeeps up here to test on the same day side by side. Because you made it to work in down town Chicago after your massive storm that might have dumped 4 inches of snow on the road (Ive lived there) doesn't make you the most intelligent man on the fourm because you were intelligent enough to buy X brand tires. They ALL suck on ice.

Last edited by lloydsmale; 06-30-2017 at 02:59 AM.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:35 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

Not to drag it out further...

If you must, try different tires in ice and snow... you will find marked differences in the way they handle ice and snow. The more sipping the better. Every tire is not the same in ice and snow, and buying one that is clearly a mud tire... will vastly change your experience on the highway or in the ditch.

I've driven Ice and Snow roads for 34 years... in a state that doesn't salt, rarely sands, and plows on rare occasion.
Mud tires... without sipping are terrible. In most truck sizes... narrow is better, but a fully sipped fat tire is better then a real narrow mud tire on ice. All tires are a challenge in snow and ice, some are impossible.

So "good" is a reference to the comparative difference of the options out there. Certainly driver skill has a large degree of impact on how well a tire performs. If you are looking for reliable predictable traction on wet, icy, and snowy roads... the more sipping the better.

The Ko2 and the Duratrac are both tires I have ran for several winters each. At 50mph on black ice for 320 miles hitting snow drifts... the KO2 tire did slightly better...meaning the seat cushion does not get totally sucked up into your hinder parts as frequently and scientifically observed when driving the Duratrac... perhaps the ice drift feeling was different on one winter to the next because of the level of sand in the snow, or temps... but over the period of a couple winters the one performs slightly better than the others. And either tire is 400% better than a super swamper on the highway in ice and snow... unless you have them sipe tat swamper to death... but in stock form these tires do earn their snowflake rating on the sides of the tire... and do better than most.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

My E rated Ko2’s survived this summer and all the trails!
This happened on fordyce
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	435EF23B-EB34-4DC5-9220-244CA9A02D0F.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	676736  
Old 12-26-2017, 12:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by silverbullet88
My E rated Ko2’s survived this summer and all the trails!
This happened on fordyce
What size and load rating are yours?
Old 12-26-2017, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmwil
What size and load rating are yours?
They are load range E. 315/70R17
Old 12-28-2017, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

35" Duratracs. I live in Canada with a ton of ice and snow and these are the best tires iv had on the jeep. They look like a mudder, and behave like it in deep mud. when aired down they seem to grip everything. slippery road, slimy rocks to snow and ice. Hold a bead perfectly. Ride very quite and smooth on the road, very cushy. I would buy another pair in a heartbeat when i upgrade but they don't make them in 37's.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I started out with Duratracs here in Idaho... I loved them. Great on trails and in the snow. Looked good.

I only got rid of them because I went up to 38 GY MTRs (which I hate, but money is spent).

Originally Posted by Mr Burgundy
35" Duratracs. I live in Canada with a ton of ice and snow and these are the best tires iv had on the jeep. They look like a mudder, and behave like it in deep mud. when aired down they seem to grip everything. slippery road, slimy rocks to snow and ice. Hold a bead perfectly. Ride very quite and smooth on the road, very cushy. I would buy another pair in a heartbeat when i upgrade but they don't make them in 37's.

Quick Reply: BFG AT KO2 vs. Goodyear Duratrac