Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilstein 5100 on a jku with a level kit 1.5”

Old 12-18-2018, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein 5100 on a jku with a level kit 1.5”

So I have a TF leveling kit. Can I run a Bilstein 5100 1.5”-3” shock with them or should I run the 4600 i have 33” tires. Also, if I can run the 5100’s do I needed pucks or longer bump stops, along with brake line extensions?
Old 12-19-2018, 02:16 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Get on an off-road parts page and check the extended and collapsed lengths of the shocks you're considering. Then take a tape measure to your jeep and see what will work best. I ran the 1.5-3" shocks with factory coils on a 2dr and noticed oil weeping from the shocks. Obviously I didn't pick up the amount of lift I thought I did which caused me to bottom out the shocks and basically destroy them.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:31 AM
JK Newbie

I just installed the 5100s on a rock krawler 1.5” lift and I have a feeling I’m on borrowed time.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 11BlackJKUR
I just installed the 5100s on a rock krawler 1.5” lift and I have a feeling I’m on borrowed time.
I talked to a lifted shop yesterday. They said it would just fit on my set-up and I won’t have any problems as of now. No winch or steel bumper at the moment.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

"Just fit" and "work properly" aren't necessarily the same. You'd be best off measuring. I enjoyed the 5100's but there are other shock options, you just need to shop by extended and collapsed length.

If you ignore it then you'll be blowing out shocks and looking for more shocks (that you'll continue to blow out) followed by a new lift kit with new shocks.

You can go off the word of the shop if you want to but ask them what the measurements are on the shock and how much travel you've got. How much distance do you have when your bumpstops are fully collapsed? Take the advice or fall into a vicious circle- choice is yours, money is yours.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

the shocks feel and ride great I’m just worried because I only see about 4” of shaft when sitting on level ground. I do have bumpers, a winch, a heavy roof rack, and steel fenders.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

This is the best I can do for now it’s raining and I have to be on a plane at 4 am. I also haven’t been able to flex it out yet
Old 12-21-2018, 12:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 11BlackJKUR

This is the best I can do for now it’s raining and I have to be on a plane at 4 am. I also haven’t been able to flex it out yet
there is a long travel kit by syngery. This seem to be a solution. Some relocation is required though. https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-j...ock-mount.html.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:37 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Willy2B

there is a long travel kit by syngery. This seem to be a solution. Some relocation is required though. https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-j...ock-mount.html.
LOL, those brackets are a pretty extreme solution for an issue that MOST people will never encounter, especially on a short lift. Follow Karls advice above. Just because a shock will "fit", doesn't mean it's sized appropriately. You really need to shop by compressed and extended lengths, as well as making sure bump stops are appropriately sized. Seems like I've heard that somewhere.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Those synergy brackets are very cool I’m gonna do more research on them but I’m not too worried the bilsteins as I plan on getting the teraflex falcons later. It might be a small lift but I plan on making it as flexible as possible. I plan on upgrading my lift to a RK 1.5 x kit and I’m on 37s and overline fenders

Quick Reply: Bilstein 5100 on a jku with a level kit 1.5”