Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blasphemy! 22s on a Jeep? No, seriously.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blasphemy! 22s on a Jeep? No, seriously.

Ok, so I'm prepared to be flamed, but I'm thinking about putting 22" rims on my JK with Nitto Terra Grapplers 285 50 R22s. The stock tires on my Jk measure 32.1" tall and 10.2" Wide, the Grapplers will measure 33.23" Tall and 11.54" Wide.

Aside from ruining the Jeep's looks in most traditionalists views, being that the difference in height and width is so minimal, will it make a difference in terms of ride quality, or does anyone foresee any rubbing issues?

I'll never be offroading in this one, it's a street only vehicle, so aside from any cosmetic problems people are sure to have with it, would there be any actual ride related issues?
Old 06-24-2007, 06:34 PM
JK Super Freak

That and I'm sure they cost a ton more. Your rig, your money.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

oh man.... i know it's your money and all...but please don't... that's almost as low profile as my previous sports car. Trust me, it'll look like a horse buggy...
Old 06-24-2007, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1
Ok, so I'm prepared to be flamed, but I'm thinking about putting 22" rims on my JK with Nitto Terra Grapplers 285 50 R22s. The stock tires on my Jk measure 32.1" tall and 10.2" Wide, the Grapplers will measure 33.23" Tall and 11.54" Wide.

Aside from ruining the Jeep's looks in most traditionalists views, being that the difference in height and width is so minimal, will it make a difference in terms of ride quality, or does anyone foresee any rubbing issues?

I'll never be offroading in this one, it's a street only vehicle, so aside from any cosmetic problems people are sure to have with it, would there be any actual ride related issues?
You are on the wrong site, check here: Cool Jeepers Site , much more 20+ friendly and you won't have to go take it off-road for approval.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wecome to the site! Just ignore the haters and you will do fine on this forum - there is a ton of useful info here for JK owners (even those that don't go off-road).

If you are not doing any off-roading you probably won't have any rubbing issues with 33" tires (they will rub under extreme atriculation). Not sure about the width though - they could rub on tight turns.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1

22"s wont fit. Wranglers have a Special wheel chip in them so no manufacturers make rims bigger than 20"s for the JK yet.

But Seriously:

It will look Fugly. Really, Really bad.

Last edited by FRDesign; 06-24-2007 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was a little curious what 20's would look like on an unlimited with 35" or 37" tires so I posted on jeepforum and someone sent a link to guy with basically your setup of 22" wheels with low profile tires and even though I was going in open minded considering going with large wheels it was absolutely HIDEOUS!!!

I'm so thankful I saw photos as I would have been embarrassed to drive it. If you're really thinking of going that route why not get a Hummer? Obviously it's your money and your decision but just be sure you've seen a bunch of photos of what you're after because I think you'll change your mind.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Hey, I appreciate everyone's input (I actually mean this). And if anyone could post pictures of someone else's Jeep to help convince me otherwise, that'd be great. Sometimes an idea seems good at the time and then you see what it would actually look like and you realize you must have been nuts for thinking about doing it yourself.

I'm not dead set on "throwing Ds on my whip", or whatever the kids say. I just thought it'd be something a bit different. I'd much rather see photos of someone else butchering a jeep with 22s than throw 3grand at mine and go, "Damn it, that looks like hell," and have to put my stock rims back on.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by FRDesign
22"s wont fit. Wranglers have a Special wheel chip in them so no manufacturers make rims bigger than 20"s for the JK yet.

But Seriously:

It will look Fugly. Really, Really bad.
IF that poor H2's sidewalls are about what the sidewall would look like with the rim and tire package I wanted, then I definitely wouldn't do it. I've got a 73 Camaro with 315/35/17s outback and the ride is less than ideal on anything other than perfectly smooth road.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:54 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs down on 30"s

on 30"s

i can't believe i acutally let myself be seen with such a P.0.S

Quick Reply: Blasphemy! 22s on a Jeep? No, seriously.