JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   On-board Air (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/board-air-350091/)

DEJK2012 04-24-2019 12:41 PM

On-board Air

So i have been wanting to put an air supply on my Jeep for a while and i have looked at a few different options. No matter what i will have at least a one gallon air tank. It will be used for lockers, filling tires and air tools for repairs. So what are the thoughts on the
ARB CKMTA12 '12V' On-Board Twin High Performance Air Compressor at 6.16cfm constant duty electric
or the YORK MINI ON BOARD AIR KIT at 10cfm belt driven https://offroadonly.com/shop/on-boar...12-18-3-6l-v6/

jordy 04-24-2019 04:08 PM

ARB all the way. Belt driven is more to go wrong. With the ARB you essentially have 2 compressors, 2 leads from the battery, 2 motors. Redundancy is key. ARB stands behind their product and has replaced mine, which was older and came with my Jeep, with no questions asked, no qualms about receipts, transferred ownership, etc. The issue mine had has been corrected on the newer models, and I've had no issues with mine. I'm a huge ARB cheerleader based on my experiences with them.

MTNBKR 04-24-2019 05:43 PM

Agree with Jordy. ARB is the way to go

tjkamp 04-24-2019 06:49 PM

I have the single compressor version of the ARB and love it! My lockers are factory electric, and I don't carry any air tools, so mine is generally used for airing up my (and other people's) tires, inner tubes at the river, kiddie pools for the back yard, and things of that nature.

I would have no qualms getting the dual ARB other than it seemed overkill for my application and I felt the money would go better elsewhere, like my Genesis dual battery set-up.

Happy Jeeping!

MountainWhisky 04-24-2019 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by tjkamp (Post 4340815)
I have the single compressor version of the ARB and love it! My lockers are factory electric, and I don't carry any air tools, so mine is generally used for airing up my (and other people's) tires, inner tubes at the river, kiddie pools for the back yard, and things of that nature.

I would have no qualms getting the dual ARB other than it seemed overkill for my application and I felt the money would go better elsewhere, like my Genesis dual battery set-up.

Happy Jeeping!

I was in the exact same place, and made the exact same decision in the end (other than the dual batteries). ARB's compressors are great, and their warranty service is outstanding.... they may be pricey but this is one place where you really do get what you pay for.

karls10jk 04-25-2019 02:35 AM

I'm an outlier among this group, but only because of the steal of a deal I got on my Viair 440C w/ 2 gal tank and all of the fixings for install. Admittedly, it was an eBay find but $180 for the lot didn't seem like a bad deal. My brother opted for the ARB dual. It is much simpler to the point where he can pull the unit out if he doesn't want the theft bait in the back of the Jeep.

resharp001 04-25-2019 02:49 AM

ARB....suck it up and you won't regret it. You just need to drop the wishful thinking that you're gonna be running tools with it. :wink: I mounted mine under the front passenger seat. Most people wouldn't notice it's there, has plenty of airflow around it, and doesn't get hot and dirty like the engine bay does.

SoK66 04-25-2019 04:28 AM

And now, from left field come the Warn Powerplant. I opted for one ten years ago as a one-stop solution for two needs. It has hardly been used as a winch, but routinely has done the job filling up tires. Speed wise the air function is comparable to a Viair, slower than the ARB Dual. Does the job as a winch quite well. Warn discontinued them a while back, but you can still find deals on them. I will continue to use it until it dies, which is what I said sen years ago or so. It won't quit. Once it does I will get the ARB Dual and shut up.

FWIW, on my previous rig I ran the Kilby belt driven setup and loved it.

Rednroll 04-25-2019 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by SoK66 (Post 4340827)
And now, from left field come the Warn Powerplant. I opted for one ten years ago as a one-stop solution for two needs. It has hardly been used as a winch, but routinely has done the job filling up tires. Speed wise the air function is comparable to a Viair, slower than the ARB Dual. Does the job as a winch quite well. Warn discontinued them a while back, but you can still find deals on them. I will continue to use it until it dies, which is what I said sen years ago or so. It won't quit. Once it does I will get the ARB Dual and shut up.

FWIW, on my previous rig I ran the Kilby belt driven setup and loved it.

You're coming from left field? LOL! I decided not even to bother to post my <$200 dual compressor solution which is still working great for the past 2 years. I'm sure the ARBs are great, they better be for the price. I just can't bring myself around to paying $500+ for a 12V air compressor. Just the same as I couldn't bring myself around to purchasing JWS LED headlights for $800-$1K a few years back which I'm sure are great as well. It's not like I couldn't afford paying that much, but when I start to feel I'm being ripped off for what I'm getting in return, I tend to turn the other cheek. I'm certain ARB has great customer service and a great warranty. Why wouldn't they? You're likely paying over 6 to 8 times what it costs them to make a 12V air compressor, so it's not like they're losing $ if they ever have to send out a replacement.

Plus, I wouldn't even consider putting a $500+ air compressor in the mounting locations I wanted to put mine. I purchased a $2 tube of silicone sealant instead.
https://doc-0o-6k-docs.googleusercon...XpIb2ZmcFZGSmc

I did have to do some rust maintenance last fall, since the salted roads don't agree well with my chosen mounting locations.
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1y4dG...AuUy2an2nsvIvo
but nothing a little wire brush and paint couldn't fix up pretty easily.
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1NXzb...1edQXB0Qt3_i15

I also feel onboard air for impact tools use is a waste. You would be much better off with electric and lithium ion battery tools, as well as good ole fashion wrenches.

DEJK2012 04-25-2019 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rednroll (Post 4340828)
You're coming from left field? LOL! I decided not even to bother to post my <$200 dual compressor solution which is still working great for the past 2 years. I'm sure the ARBs are great, they better be for the price. I just can't bring myself around to paying $500+ for a 12V air compressor. Just the same as I couldn't bring myself around to purchasing JWS LED headlights for $800-$1K a few years back which I'm sure are great as well. It's not like I couldn't afford paying that much, but when I start to feel I'm being ripped off for what I'm getting in return, I tend to turn the other cheek. I'm certain ARB has great customer service and a great warranty. Why wouldn't they? You're likely paying over 6 to 8 times what it costs them to make a 12V air compressor, so it's not like they're losing $ if they ever have to send out a replacement.

Ya, i was leaning toward the ARB but i just hate seeing the price. Sooooo what is your solution?