JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   On-board Air (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/board-air-350091/)

jordy 04-25-2019 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by DEJK2012 (Post 4340829)
Ya, i was leaning toward the ARB but i just hate seeing the price. Sooooo what is your solution?

You have a whole slew of people who offered up information to help you make an informed decision, and then someone so tight he squeaks when he walks comes in and professes to know manufacturing, marketing, development, and a slew of other costs, along with the profit margin, of ARB's product, and you take him seriously? That's funny!

I'm sure there are all kinds of cheap ways to have an air system on a Jeep. If you want to buy one, one time, and have something reliable, it's not going to be cheap.

Here, Harbor Freight has this beauty for a mere $62.99.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12volt...sor-63184.html

I bet it only costs them $12 to make it in China though. :rotflmao2:

Hilarious!

DEJK2012 04-25-2019 05:31 AM

Well im looking at mounting locations right now and trying to figure out what would be best. I live in salt hell so anything outside the jeep will get rusted to all hell, which i would really prefer my almost $600 compressor look like the titanic after a year, but i also have no idea how much air lockers actually use. So if i have it mounted in side the cab, say under my seat, will i be having to scream at my passenger because its always kicking on to fill the tanks? When i am filling tires i could care less about it being mounted inside because i wont be sitting on top of it :rotflmao2:. And just because i ask someone about their cheaper solution dosent mean im going to jump all over it, if i wanted to stick with a cheap solution i would keep using my $30 compressor. some people come up with really great and creative solutions for Jeeps and i enjoy seeing that

jedg 04-25-2019 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by jordy (Post 4340831)
You have a whole slew of people who offered up information to help you make an informed decision, and then someone so tight he squeaks when he walks comes in and professes to know manufacturing, marketing, development, and a slew of other costs, along with the profit margin, of ARB's product, and you take him seriously? That's funny!

I'm sure there are all kinds of cheap ways to have an air system on a Jeep. If you want to buy one, one time, and have something reliable, it's not going to be cheap.

Here, Harbor Freight has this beauty for a mere $62.99.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12volt...sor-63184.html

I bet it only costs them $12 to make it in China though. :rotflmao2:

Hilarious!

Hahahaha... this is actually a great solution and one that I used for several years. The ONLY reason I have an ARB Twin now is that I lucked into a super cheap one. A place called Bargain Hunt (think a store that sells items that had been returned to other stores) had one on the shelf for $75.00 (yes, for real)... it was marked damaged. I bought it and $16 later I had a completely working ARB Twin (you can purchase all of the repair parts from ARB).

If not for that stroke of luck, I'm SURE I would still be running the HF compressor system I had. It worked and met my needs. It wasn't 100% duty cycle, but that was okay with me.

Rednroll 04-25-2019 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by DEJK2012 (Post 4340829)
Ya, i was leaning toward the ARB but i just hate seeing the price. Sooooo what is your solution?

I made a write-up:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...-build-341917/

I expected some criticism and doubts with my solution and I had some doubts myself going in if it would survive the elements that they would be exposed to. I purchased a 3rd compressor which I keep in a bag under my rear seat for "just in case" purposes. Just in case I drown them crossing some water and they decide to fail or if they some how get damaged. What I can say is that I've been pleasantly surprised and it's been installed and working well for me for over 2 years. I originally didn't plan on using it for air tools since I feel there are much better solutions which cost less.

Resharp can share his experience when trying to use an ARB dual compressor for air tools. This video should give you some idea, of what using an ARB dual with an added tank will be like. You're going to be doing a lot of waiting for that tank to refill while using those tools.

resharp001 04-25-2019 05:46 AM

If you're planning on using a compressor for lockers as well, I'd stick with something that is intended for that purpose. Although a HF compressor will still air up a tire.....do you want to rig that up to run your lockers on? As with a lot of these things, your money isn't being thrown away. If you spend $465 on a dual ARB, and you use it for 5 years then decided to sell it, assuming you've taken care of it, it's going to return a good bit of that initial cost. Just another way to think about things.

Rednroll 04-25-2019 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by DEJK2012 (Post 4340832)
Well im looking at mounting locations right now and trying to figure out what would be best. I live in salt hell so anything outside the jeep will get rusted to all hell, which i would really prefer my almost $600 compressor look like the titanic after a year, but i also have no idea how much air lockers actually use. So if i have it mounted in side the cab, say under my seat, will i be having to scream at my passenger because its always kicking on to fill the tanks? When i am filling tires i could care less about it being mounted inside because i wont be sitting on top of it :rotflmao2:. And just because i ask someone about their cheaper solution dosent mean im going to jump all over it, if i wanted to stick with a cheap solution i would keep using my $30 compressor. some people come up with really great and creative solutions for Jeeps and i enjoy seeing that

Like I said, I expected criticism from some of the self proclaimed elitists. I had all the same concerns you outlined. The only target I missed in my original write-up is preventing the exterior rust on the compressors which was easily fixed with some gloss rattle can paint. I did put fluid film on the outsides of them but that stuff doesn't last. Paint is still the best rust preventative. After the paint addition, they just finished going through a Michigan winter of road salt where I also typically wash my Jeep 3-4 times per week in the winter and this spring no exterior rust with the added paint projection. I just fired them up yesterday and they're working great. Yes, I'm only using them for airing up tires which I'm able to air up 4 35s from 15psi to 35psi in under 10 minutes. It has worked well for me, it may not work for everyone's needs/standards but it is a good option to consider. I really like the fact that it's not under the hood or inside and that I'm not having to pull out hoses and attachments when I go to use it.

Rednroll 04-25-2019 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by jedg (Post 4340833)
Hahahaha... this is actually a great solution and one that I used for several years. The ONLY reason I have an ARB Twin now is that I lucked into a super cheap one. A place called Bargain Hunt (think a store that sells items that had been returned to other stores) had one on the shelf for $75.00 (yes, for real)... it was marked damaged. I bought it and $16 later I had a completely working ARB Twin (you can purchase all of the repair parts from ARB).

If not for that stroke of luck, I'm SURE I would still be running the HF compressor system I had. It worked and met my needs. It wasn't 100% duty cycle, but that was okay with me.

I just ignore him, he seems to criticize solutions he has no experience with. He's a joker and thinks he is funny. As long as he's happy.:thumbs:

DEJK2012 04-25-2019 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rednroll (Post 4340839)
Like I said, I expected criticism from the self proclaimed elitists. I had all the same concerns you outlined. The only target I missed in my original write-up is preventing the exterior rust on the compressors which was easily fixed with some gloss rattle can paint. I did put fluid film on the outsides of them but that stuff doesn't last. Paint is still the best rust preventative. After the paint addition, they just finished going through a Michigan winter of road salt where I also typically wash my Jeep 3-4 times per week in the winter and this spring no exterior rust with the added paint projection. I just fired them up yesterday and they're working great. Yes, I'm only using them for airing up tires which I'm able to air up 4 35s from 15psi to 35psi in under 10 minutes.

Ya i figured i was going to also for asking, Just trying to justify the price as i am a full time college student that works full time also :rotflmao2:. So i dont exactly make alot and dont have cash just laying around to drop of expensive items, took me almost 2 years to be able to get my MC lift lol. So im trying to be selective in what i can cheap out of temp vs. what is important.

jordy 04-25-2019 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by DEJK2012 (Post 4340832)
So if i have it mounted in side the cab, say under my seat, will i be having to scream at my passenger because its always kicking on to fill the tanks?

I've got a 3 gallon tank under the Jeep that will more than run the lockers all day long on a single fill up. I kick my compressor on, let it build pressure and shutoff automatically, then I kill the power to it. I've got a bunch of plumbing as I have air chucks at the front and rear, so I lose some via inherent leaks. Every few hours I might kick it on if I think about it and it runs for 30 seconds and shuts off again. I could likely go all day without hearing it, but it's not a big deal. The amount of air that is released when the solenoids open and unlock the lockers is probably half a breath, if that.

See, this is what you get when people actually have real world experience with a product. It has nothing to do with any "self-proclaimed" bullshit. It has to do with people who actually know what they're talking about because they've done it, not sat on their wallet crying about how hurtful the price of something is. Still hilarious. This place was better when you could actually block that self-proclaimed expert who has never experienced any of what he professes to know. :rotflmao2:

jordy 04-25-2019 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Rednroll (Post 4340840)
I just ignore him, he seems to criticize solutions he has no experience with. :

That's ironic as here you are talking out your ass about a product you have no experience with other than tire kicking and passing because of cost. Me? I have the ARB compressor that the OP had a question about. I have ARB lockers front and rear. You're still running metric tires. Come back and talk about something you know about as you've done nothing to help resolve the original question asked. That's pathetic. You not get enough attention at home? :thumbsup: