JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   On-board Air (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/board-air-350091/)

Rednroll 04-25-2019 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by jedg (Post 4340860)
^^^ This. OBA is great for airing tires and running lockers... the rest, I carry hand tools for. Though, I will admit I keep looking at those 1/2 battery operated torque wrenches...

I just purchased a 1/2in battery impact, and I keep looking at it and asking myself, "Do I really need to bring this along?". I prefer to travel as light as possible and appreciate the available space. I mainly purchased it for convenience of not having to pull out hoses and extension cords for when doing work on my Jeep at home. No reason I couldn't throw it in the back of my Jeep. I'll likely leave it at home and just throw my bag of hand tools inside as usual. When I hear folks talk about air compressor tool setups on their Jeep, I start to wonder if they're doing engine and axle swaps out there on the trail. So far I've not seen anyone do an LS/Hemi swap or axle swap while out on a trail. :D Everything else can be done with hand tools where it just takes you 60seconds to remove a bolt instead of 10 seconds.

I also don't have to worry about air lockers. Trutracks are better for my needs. If I were to do lockers, I'ld likely lean towards an electronic engage/disengage since there's already a battery power supply there.

BoraBora 04-25-2019 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by SoK66 (Post 4340827)
And now, from left field come the Warn Powerplant. I opted for one ten years ago as a one-stop solution for two needs. It has hardly been used as a winch, but routinely has done the job filling up tires. Speed wise the air function is comparable to a Viair, slower than the ARB Dual. Does the job as a winch quite well. Warn discontinued them a while back, but you can still find deals on them. I will continue to use it until it dies, which is what I said sen years ago or so. It won't quit. Once it does I will get the ARB Dual and shut up.

FWIW, on my previous rig I ran the Kilby belt driven setup and loved it.

Interesting...I've had nothing but issues with mine. It has quit on me twice now in 2 years. First time required replacing the solenoid/contactor, which was a $260 part. Just quit again a month ago, and I don't think I'm gonna repair it this time. I don't recommend it at all.

I'll be going with the ARB setup and a Smittybilt winch (lol, that'll make my buddies scratch their heads).

Buy once cry once/you gotta pay to play. This holds true for ARB. Doesn't hold true for my Warn PowerPlant; A 1 year warranty on electrical parts is straight up disrespectful for the price tag.

SoK66 04-26-2019 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by BoraBora (Post 4340870)
Interesting...I've had nothing but issues with mine. It has quit on me twice now in 2 years. First time required replacing the solenoid/contactor, which was a $260 part. Just quit again a month ago, and I don't think I'm gonna repair it this time. I don't recommend it at all.

I'll be going with the ARB setup and a Smittybilt winch (lol, that'll make my buddies scratch their heads).

Buy once cry once/you gotta pay to play. This holds true for ARB. Doesn't hold true for my Warn PowerPlant; A 1 year warranty on electrical parts is straight up disrespectful for the price tag.

We have several in our club that run Warn Powerplant winches, I don't know of any failures like that, but if itr's any consolatiion they dropped it from their line some time ago. Mine will sit on the bumper until it dies, at which time I'll do the ARB dual and a lighter winch.

Blanco562 08-31-2019 03:18 PM

So i recently [picked up a ARB CKMA12 and i'm not sure how to connect it. There are two cables,
Red-Yel = To Ignition
Blu-Wht = To Dash Illumination

Does anyone know where these two are located in the fuse box?
I'm kinda new to the Jeep world!

jordy 09-02-2019 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Blanco562 (Post 4348225)
So i recently [picked up a ARB CKMA12 and i'm not sure how to connect it. There are two cables,
Red-Yel = To Ignition
Blu-Wht = To Dash Illumination

Does anyone know where these two are located in the fuse box?
I'm kinda new to the Jeep world!

Not sure about fuse box locations, but I'm guessing these are for your rocker switch wiring.

If you have a meter or even a test light you should be able to find one that is switched for your ignition, if you want your compressor to only run if your key is on. If you don't care, you could just wire it to a hot terminal and the switch would always be ready to fire up the compressor, regardless of ignition position.

Your dash ilumination is going to be for the lighted portion of the switch. You'll have to find a wire that runs off the light switch to the dash lights and tie into it for that to work. I'd call this one optional. A little google search shows this is an orange and grey wire coming out of a loom under the dash. That could be different based on your year and model.

I would not recommend using the crimp splices as they have a high tendency to fail at the worst moment. Cut, strip, solder, heat shrink, and don't worry about it coming loose.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jk-...9f35bf9440.jpg

Blanco562 09-02-2019 08:34 PM

Thanks. I'll look into this section.