Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On board air recommendation

Old 10-10-2017, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default On board air recommendation

Running 33’s and looking for an on board air recommendation. Only use, will be to air up tires. Can mount in engine bay or would prefer under the seats, I think. Have a 2017 jk.

Currently looking at the arb high output. Northridge sells a full kit that includes the mount and tire inflator.

Anything else I should be looking at? Thought of just disabling the TPMS but the wife says no. :-)
Old 10-10-2017, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the ARBs are the only ones small enough to fit inside the engine bay. To be honest most of the guys around here carry an external Smittybilt compressor. Make it easy to move between vehicles and they're pretty durable.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default On board air

There is another solution. I have a Warn PowerPlant winch that also has an integrated air compressor. It always works and I have successfully ran air tools using it.

KG6SLC aka Eugene
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	KG6SLC_Freceiver.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	675434  
Old 10-10-2017, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Cliffride sells one now that goes into the tailgate, looks intriguing. Under the hood is good because you can still store things under the seats. I've got the sun shade under the seat and the compressor (viair) under the hood.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at the smittybilt, that might be a better way to go. Definitely cheaper.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the ARB twin. I can air up a 33 from 14 psi to 34 psi in about 90 seconds. Plus it’s 100% duty cycle so no waiting for it to cool between tires. If I had it to do over I would get the single. Much cheaper and still pretty fast. Mine is mounted under the passenger seat. The only drawback is by the time I bought the mounting bracket and the hose, etc I have sunk over $700 for it all.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the ARB High Output kit from Northridge and love it. Use it for airing up my 35's and for my ARB locker as well.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a fan of installing a compressor in the engine bay. They have an operating temp. and putting them in the engine bay pre-heats them before you even use it and IMO wears them out faster. I know companies make mounts for them but it doesn't mean you should mount it there. I emailed ARB and they don't even recommend you mount in the engine compartment. They do sell a breather relocation kit to help bring in cooler air in case you do though.
I have an ARB now as a backup with 1gal tank that's mounted in the back of the JK with my 10lbs CO2 tank as my primary way to fill up.
The smittybilts work but I've gone through 2 of them and won't buy another which is why I have the ARB now.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I've got the ARB twin mounted under my hood and use the hell out of it. Had the compressor quit the last day in Moab 2 years ago as I was airing up my last tire after I emptied my powertank. Sent ARB an email about getting it repaired and they said to ship it in and they'd look at it. Didn't hear anything for about a week and a half, then got notice they were sending me a new one. Total cost: $0.00.

My buddy had it installed on the Jeep before I bought it, so they could have ducked out that way, and it was several years old. No questions asked, total replacement. I figured I'd at least have to cover the ride back.

I'm sold. ARB customer for life.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

ARB indeed has excellent customer service, and that speaks volumes about their products. I have the 12V twin compressor (CKMTA12) under my passenger seat and love it. As already highlighted, it's 100% duty cycle and fast. The drawback is no doubt price, especially since it is not enough to run pneumatic tools.....it is a very pricey tire inflator, especially if you're not using it to run lockers. That said, I wouldn't trade mine for the world.

Quick Reply: On board air recommendation