Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bov on ripp supercharger stopped working again!!!!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bov on ripp supercharger stopped working again!!!!

K so I ace had my supercharger for a little over 1 and a half months And I love the the supercharger BUT problems I've had are I've had to replace the plastic by pass valve it comes with granted I thought when I ordered the kit i was under the impression it was going to come with the vortech one but it didn't..
Secondly since me being in tx state inspection eventually expires but to make a long story short I've had to replace the plenum gaskets so that would make the pending codes ( bank 1 and bank 2 p1074 p1071) those were the codes PENDING but anyway
I'm still waiting for the jeep to have enough miles to be readiness complete.......
Old 07-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by REDJEEPJK
K so I ace had my supercharger for a little over 1 and a half months And I love the the supercharger BUT problems I've had are I've had to replace the plastic by pass valve it comes with granted I thought when I ordered the kit i was under the impression it was going to come with the vortech one but it didn't..
Secondly since me being in tx state inspection eventually expires but to make a long story short I've had to replace the plenum gaskets so that would make the pending codes ( bank 1 and bank 2 p1074 p1071) those were the codes PENDING but anyway
I'm still waiting for the jeep to have enough miles to be readiness complete.......
If there is a vacuum leak the BOV will not work... there will not be enough vacuum to pull it open. Also, the Bosch valve is a Vortech approved valve, its used on the SRT8 line of cars .

RIPPTECH
Old 07-16-2012, 05:18 PM
JK Junkie

Default RIPP'd JK

I'm now running a Kayser diverter valve:

Kayser installed (Note: that your JK won't have the "neat" Vortec BOV whistle - this diverter makes more of a flapping sound when releasing boost) :

The Vortec Maxflow® Racing Bypass/Blow-off Valve that originally came with the RIPP kit.

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 07-27-2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: New BOV didn't address RIPP SC issues.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS

If there is a vacuum leak the BOV will not work... there will not be enough vacuum to pull it open. Also, the Bosch valve is a Vortech approved valve, its used on the SRT8 line of cars .

RIPPTECH
I have checked and there are no leaks at all
Old 07-17-2012, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
I'm now running a Kayser diverter valve - it replaced Bosch as the OEM manufacturer of diverter valves for Audi and VW (and I think Porsche). The valve features an upgraded internal diaphragm which is more heat resistant and stiffer than other OEM diverter valves, and I believe that makes a difference in our JKs which are extremely prone to high temperatures in the engine bays. My JK is running much more reliably now with the Kayser valve, but I've only got one week of driving on it thus far so this could change.

I do believe one thing - the Vortec BOV was not a good choice for our JKs as it would either release way too early or erratically. I think it's been responsible for months and months of extremely frustrating and temperamental behavior in my RIPP system. If anyone else is still experiencing weird power hesitations while accelerating, I would recommend this as a place to begin troubleshooting. To test, pull the sensor hose off the top of the Vortec BOV leading to vacuum and "plug" the hose temporarily with a bolt, screw, etc - then test drive. If the acceleration is smoother and stronger, there's a good chance your Vortec is either bad or maybe better stated, ill-equipped to deal with our under hood environments. You should replace it.

The new Kayser diverter:

Kayser installed (Note: that your JK won't have the "neat" whistle anymore - this diverter makes more of a flapping sound when releasing boost, but at least it WORKS!!) :

Anyone want a $275 Vortec Maxflow® Racing Bypass/Blow-off Valve that is Vortec approved? It makes a neat whistling sound, and I'll give you a good deal.
Thank u for ur reply. Where did u buy ur kayser valve?
Old 07-17-2012, 03:32 PM
JK Junkie

Default Kayser Diverter Valve

Bov on ripp supercharger stopped working again!!!!
Just curious as to the symptoms you're experiencing which indicate the BOV is not working? Is it not releasing boost, or not allowing boost? It is very odd that two would go bad so quickly (you've only had the SC for what, a couple months now)?

Who is the manufacturer of your BOV (and do you have a model number)?

Thank u for ur reply. Where did u buy ur kayser valve?
This place sells them:

shop.achtuning.com/kayser-3-023-348-diverter-valve-for-audi.aspx
Old 07-18-2012, 04:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

i think its not letting releasing boost. because i can still get boost its just... it makes a terrible sound when i release it cuz its not working at all so it makes this bird like whistle sound ...
the manufacturer is boch. and its the same bov used on Audi TTs. .....

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Just curious as to the symptoms you're experiencing which indicate the BOV is not working? Is it not releasing boost, or not allowing boost? It is very odd that two would go bad so quickly (you've only had the SC for what, a couple months now)?

Who is the manufacturer of your BOV (and do you have a model number)?

This place sells them:

shop.achtuning.com/kayser-3-023-348-diverter-valve-for-audi.aspx
Old 07-18-2012, 09:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't look like that Kayser unit is tunable. The turbo VW and Audis make much more boost than our RIPP systems, will this valve release the pressure appropriately?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well i got other problems other than the bov i have bank 1 and bank 2 system 2 too lean
Old 07-18-2012, 12:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well i got other problems other than the bov i have bank 1 and bank 2 system 2 too lean
First thing that comes to mind with both banks lean would be a vacuum leak.

Quick Reply: Bov on ripp supercharger stopped working again!!!!