Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake lines adivse

Old 05-05-2019, 12:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lines adivse

Hi, I have a 2k9 2 door rubi which I've had since it rolled of the dealership lot. I don't drive it too much these days (only got 44k miles on it and the first 30 were in the first 3-4 yr of its life). Recently I found that the driver side brake line has been severely rubbed by the tire (stock 255/70/17 tires) so I need to replace it asap.

I've just ordered new wheels and tires (285/70/17 with 8.5 inch rim and +10 offset) which means the wheel will be about an inch further away from the shock.

I've been reading and looking up various options for brake line replacement of which there seems to be a million... Any advise on what aftermarket lines I should use to replace the stock ones? Rear ones seem to be fine, but considering that they are 10 yr old, should I replace them as well?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-07-2019, 10:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I've had great luck with Crown Performance lines. Teraflex makes good lines as well.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I have Rough Country brake lines and they're better than the stock lines in the respect that they're stainless with a nice sheath over top, similar to the high performance Crown. I'd guess they're all about the same so long as they're DOT approved/ certified. As far as the rears- yep, if the front are toast then I'd replace the rears too. You'll already be bleeding brakes, what's two more calipers? Just make sure the brake fluid is plenty high enough before you start.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just FYI, I had Metalcloak lines on my JKU after the lift. I was having a brake problem and the dealership wouldn't diagnose the problem under warranty because of them. I ended up going with the Mopar Performance extended lines for a replacement. The problem ended up being a bad brake booster and front caliper which were then covered by the warranty. So if you're worried about warranty work stay with Mopar.
The following users liked this post:
resharp001 (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 05:35 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by jimonfly
Just FYI, I had Metalcloak lines on my JKU after the lift. I was having a brake problem and the dealership wouldn't diagnose the problem under warranty because of them.
That's an interesting nugget most people still in warranty don't even think about.
The following users liked this post:
jimonfly (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

I have 160k on my 08 and will do all 4 lines very shortly. Waiting for the drivers side to come in. Rock Auto has 3 of the 4 mopar lines. The drivers side I had to get from online dealer. I went with stock since I had no issues with them for 160k. About $28 per line which is what the crown automotives are. I also purchased a MityVac. Do a search for my name and you can get all the part numbers. It was a recent post.

Quick Reply: Brake lines adivse