Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pads - What do you like best and why?

Old 03-27-2019, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Brake Pads - What do you like best and why?

I may be due for a brake pad replacement soon and would like your guy's opinion/recommendation on which pads are best or you like best and why? (specific manu./model)

Would prefer something that typically provides lower brake dust if possible. My current set up puts off a lot of brake dust in my opinion.

I have an '07 2dr that is probably due for brakes too.

Just looking at new pads. My rotors and calipers are upgraded with the Currie 60s.

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I use the Hawk Performance the LTS i believe. but im on stock rotors and calipers. have no complaints, the dust isent to bad, and they do their job.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only had to replace the rear brakes on my '13. I went with Wagner OEX pads and they have been great so far. I haven't had a single issue with brake dust with them.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Wagner OEX were a good pad for me but I moved to the Z36 pads from powerstop and I've really been enjoying them. The Hawks put out too much dust IMO. They're good, but not worth the dust. The OEX doesn't put out the same level of dust and seems to stop as well as the green Hawks.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

I do the lifetime warranty pads and do a brake job every summer for free. Rotors are 3 year warranty so every 3 I have to spend money.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by DEJK2012
I use the Hawk Performance the LTS i believe. but im on stock rotors and calipers. have no complaints, the dust isent to bad, and they do their job.
I have the hawk Lts pads front and rear. They stop great but put out substantially more dust than the oem pads. I wouldn't recommend them based on my experience.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I've got 125,000 miles on my 13' 2door. On my third set of pads in the rear, was running EBC yellow stuff, now and running their Orange. Like them pretty good. I have black wheels, so if they are making more dust I haven't noticed.

The fronts are the original stock pads, they are still way thick, I don't think I will ever have to change them unless I decide to do a brake upgrade. I think they will outlive the Jeep.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:44 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

I still like the Raybestos EHT pads: Slightly higher friction rating, no noise or dust issues.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Based on Karls experience and reading many reviews which were very positive, I tried the Powerstop Z36 pads. My experience thus far with them is they are everything I could want from a brake pad and I'll be sticking with them in the future.
- Low price
- No noticeable brake dust
- No noise
- Includes all the hardware with the pads (ie clips, anti-squeal, etc).
- Stop well
- Stainless steal back plate (won't rust)
- Life duration (???) TBD
- Wear on rotors (???) TBD (so far so good).

I had EBC Green stuff pads prior. The Powerstop Z36 pads cost half the price and are a better overall pad in my opinion.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Did you get the rotars too or did you just use the pads? If just the pads, what part number?

Quick Reply: Brake Pads - What do you like best and why?