Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Upgrades

Old 06-04-2018, 12:22 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Reading the long thread Rednroll posted above really had me going back and forth with things. Not sure about OP's use, but I would suspect looking for general on road safety/performance. Jedg's comment above just dialed in on what I started thinking today. I am mainly concerned with braking in regards to offroad situations....holding me in place when I damn sure need to NOT move. That made me start thinking the big difference between just rotors vs. a system with larger calipers, is that for my concern.......I really need the clamping power of the caliper. Just increased rotor size isn't going to hold me in place any better than smaller rotors in those situations.
With our ProGrip kit, it's more than just larger rotors. Everything revolves around leverage. Moving the calipers outward is just as crucial as the larger diameter rotors. By moving them out, the amount of leverage the calipers have on stopping the rotating mass is greatly increased. This, in conjunction with the improved rotors (not just diameter but also thickness and heat handling/dissipation) and specially formulated pads gives the much improved stopping and holding power. It's just like when you're trying to get a nut or bolt loose and you switch from a normal length wrench to a longer one or a breaker bar of some sort. The size of the nut/bolt isn't changing, the size of the socket isn't changing, the amount of strength you're exerting on the but the amount of leverage you're applying increases greatly with the longer wrench or breaker bar.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:23 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by jedg
So I'll speak up. I agree with Rednroll. I have 37s with the Dynatrac ProGrip installed. It's MUCH better than factory.. noticeably better. But it's still not as good as I'd like. The OEM system wouldn't hold my jeep in place when in 4LO w/ 4.88 gears. With ProGrips installed it does. On the highway, it's stops much faster than it did with OEM. BUT, it doesn't stop anywhere near as fast as my GMC 2500HD (which outweighs my jeep by 1400 lbs)... At the time, Mopar didn't have the BBK out and so I went with what had the best reviews. I DO like the ProGrips for ease of install and they DO make a difference. However, if the Mopar BBK had been available, I would have went that route.
On your GMC2500, how big are your wheels and tires compared to your Jeep?
Old 06-04-2018, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
On your GMC2500, how big are your wheels and tires compared to your Jeep?
20" wheels and 35 inch tires compared to 17" wheels and 37" tires... and, of course, the GMC outweighs the jeep by 1400 lbs.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
20" wheels and 35 inch tires compared to 17" wheels and 37" tires... and, of course, the GMC outweighs the jeep by 1400 lbs.
Got hiiiimmmmmmm
Old 06-04-2018, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

With our ProGrip kit, it's more than just larger rotors. Everything revolves around leverage. Moving the calipers outward is just as crucial as the larger diameter rotors. By moving them out, the amount of leverage the calipers have on stopping the rotating mass is greatly increased.
If there is a larger diameter rotor added to re-using the stock calipers, moving the calipers out to match that increased diameter is a given, thus the need for the caliper adapter brackets. I've never heard of a braking system upgrade which would increase rotor size and not move the caliper out further towards the edge of the rotor. Yes, a bigger diameter rotor with the caliper moved further out accordingly increases braking leverage, no disagreement there but stating the obvious like it's an additional advantage seems rather silly since if they weren't moved further out, there would be no benefit of adding larger rotors as it pertains to increased braking performance.

and specially formulated pads gives the much improved stopping and holding power.
....and there it is....the magic secret sauce pads which are made by EBC. So are they the Green stuff, Yellow stuff, orange extra duty pads? Going by the replacement price, I'll guess they're likely the Green stuff but if it's the Yellow stuff or orange extra duty, I'ld be interested in picking up a set for the DT listed price.

Since you're here, how about telling us how that ProGrip II system is coming along, since that does sound like a complete system upgrade I would be interested in and haven't heard much about it since it was announced quite awhile back?

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-04-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

For clarification, the ProGrip that I have installed makes a world of difference from OEM. If you're not inclined to replace your master cylinder, I still hold that the Dynatrac ProGrips are your best option. Like RednRoll said, it's a brake SYSTEM... so just like changing coils may help the suspension system, the shocks may not meet the needs of the new coils.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:19 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

We’re still working on a few things, and we’ll post here and the other forums when the ProGrip II is ready to start shipping.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm still very happy with my ProGrip system. As an easy bolt on system that allows you to retain the factory master cylinder and not open the brake lines it is a huge upgrade from stock. It works amazingly well for the simplicity of it.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

How's the pad life on the Progrip system? It would seem with larger rotors, and same size as stock pad footprint pads would wear out quicker.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:45 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Rednroll
How's the pad life on the Progrip system? It would seem with larger rotors, and same size as stock pad footprint pads would wear out quicker.
That's a difficult question to answer, because so many variables affect pad life, particularly driving style.

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrades