Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke Sector Shaft- Can't get Traction Control light off

Old 08-24-2017, 08:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke Sector Shaft- Can't get Traction Control light off

I went wheeling a few months back and broke my sector shaft on my 2014 JK Rubicon. I put a loaner steering box in to get me by until I could get a new box set up with the redneck ram by the guys at WTOR. The traction control light comes on when I start the jeep and it NEVER shuts off. I've centered the steering wheel with the drag link and I've checked for codes. Nothing works. I just got my redneck ram setup in and I'm about to install it, but I also want to resolve this traction control light issue.
Is it possible that when I broke the sector shaft and my steering wheel spun free that the steering wheel is a full turn off? Would the sensor detect that? I'm at my wits end. Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 08-25-2017, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sevenslotsocietyofswla
I went wheeling a few months back and broke my sector shaft on my 2014 JK Rubicon. I put a loaner steering box in to get me by until I could get a new box set up with the redneck ram by the guys at WTOR. The traction control light comes on when I start the jeep and it NEVER shuts off. I've centered the steering wheel with the drag link and I've checked for codes. Nothing works. I just got my redneck ram setup in and I'm about to install it, but I also want to resolve this traction control light issue.
Is it possible that when I broke the sector shaft and my steering wheel spun free that the steering wheel is a full turn off? Would the sensor detect that? I'm at my wits end. Thanks in advance for the help!
Image Below taken from Fourwheeler.com for reference. I'm guessing your talking about the upper right "snakes chasing jeep"? If so it sounds like your ESC system has malfunctioned for some reason. Could it be maybe the loaner steering box isnt 100% compatible with your jeep? My thought was maybe it isnt aligned exactly right. Did you use something like the AEV Procal to align the steering wheel?

Click image for larger version

Name:	003-jeep-dash-esc-lights.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	674416

The ESC Off light is the bottom left. It will be on normally when you are in 4L. The top right ESC light (also known as the “snakes chasing Jeep” or “bacon road” light) will flash when the ESC system is activated, but it will be solid when the ESC system has malfunctioned.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, did you let the steering wheel rotate at all while replacing the steering box? If so the clock-spring could have been misaligned (even if steering wheel looks straight) and will illuminate the ESC light.
If that is the case the steering wheel will need to be removed and the clock-spring realigned.

If you determine the clock-spring was misaligned. To realign it, Jack the front up you jeep up just high enough so you can manually push the tires right or left. Then with the steering wheel off and your tires turned all the way to one side, as someone slowly pushed the tires all the way to the other side count how many time the pin on the clock-spring rotates. divide that in half to find out where center is. Then re-install the steering wheel once you have it correctly centered.

Last edited by crzyamerican; 08-25-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:27 AM
JK Newbie

Have same problem after installing PSC Big Bore steering box. Tried centering and clearing codes but still get ESC lite and three steering angle codes. Didn't think clock spring was off since sector shaft is keyed and wheel didn't spin but you may be right that CS is mis-alined. Got to try your fix!
Old 12-17-2017, 12:05 AM
JK Newbie

Question to crzyamerican. so steering wheel is off and cs exposed. I understand the tires left-rt and count the revs, divide by 2 to determine center. Now, how do I actually center the cs with this information? I can remove it but then ..? Probably I am just stupid but I sure do appreciate your help on this. btw the cs is off thanks to 4 Wheel Parts install of my PSC Big Bore (someone forgot to tie off the steering wheel)
Old 12-17-2017, 01:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If after following the instructions below you still have issues; I would advise replacing the clockspring as it would likely have been over extended (turned too far causing damage)

STANDARD PROCEDURE - CLOCKSPRING CENTERING

WARNING:
To avoid serious or fatal injury on vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, airbag, seat belt tensioner, impact sensor or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the SRS. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment.

NOTE:
A service replacement clockspring is shipped with the clockspring pre-centered and with a molded plastic locking pin installed. This locking pin should not be removed until the steering wheel has been installed on the steering column. If the locking pin is removed before the steering wheel is installed, the clockspring centering procedure must be performed.

NOTE:
When a clockspring is installed into a vehicle without properly centering and locking the entire steering system, the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) data does not agree with the true position of the steering system and causes the Electronic Stability Program (ESP) system to shut down. This may also damage the clockspring without any immediate malfunction. Unlike some other Chrysler vehicles, this SAS never requires calibration. However, upon each new ignition ON cycle, the steering wheel must be rotated slightly to initialize the SAS.

NOTE:
Determining if the clockspring/SAS is centered is also possible electrically using the diagnostic scan tool. Steering wheel position is displayed as ANGLE with a range of up to 900 degrees. Refer to the appropriate menu item on the diagnostic scan tool.

NOTE:
Before starting this procedure, be certain to turn the steering wheel until the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position and that the entire steering system is locked or inhibited from rotation.

NOTE:
The clockspring may be centered and the rotor may be rotated freely once the steering wheel has been removed.

1.Place the front wheels in the straight-ahead position and inhibit the steering column shaft from rotation.

2.Remove the steering wheel from the steering shaft. (Refer to 19 - Steering/Column/WHEEL, Steering - Removal) .

3.Rotate the clockspring rotor (1) clockwise to the end of its travel. Do not apply excessive torque.

4.From the end of the clockwise travel, rotate the rotor about two and one-half turns counterclockwise. Turn the rotor slightly clockwise or counterclockwise as necessary so that the clockspring airbag pigtail wires (3) and connector receptacle are at the top and the dowel or drive pin (5) is at the bottom.

5.The clockspring is now centered. Secure the clockspring rotor to the clockspring case using a locking pin (2) or some similar device to maintain clockspring centering until the steering wheel is reinstalled on the steering column.

Last edited by fredrok; 12-17-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Was wondering op fixed this issue, same thing happened to me year ago but now im ready to go ahead fix the traction control light staying on. Ive centered steering wheel, alignment, ect but now i suspect clock spring. Mabey over rotated like some one mentioned . My radio controls do not work on steering wheel also

Quick Reply: Broke Sector Shaft- Can't get Traction Control light off