Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken sway bar link, possibly more? Thanks for any advice you have for the fix!

Old 04-22-2017, 05:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken sway bar link, possibly more? Thanks for any advice you have for the fix!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0322.JPG
Views:	634
Size:	932.9 KB
ID:	670742Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0323.JPG
Views:	665
Size:	658.8 KB
ID:	670743Click image for larger version

Name:	alignment.jpg
Views:	1583
Size:	553.4 KB
ID:	670744

I broke my driver's side sway bar link while wheeling last weekend. I bought the JKS quicker disconnects to replace both links, but I am worried something else might be broken. The driver's side is sagging lower than the passenger side, and the sway bar relative to the other suspension components looks out of place. In the first two pics, you can see the drivers side (with the broken link removed), which has the sway bar down by the tie rod. On the passengers side (second pic), the sway bar is resting on the pitman arm. Third pic is one I grabbed off of the internet showing how things should look.

I have a TeraFlex leveling kit which gives a little bit of lift, but no other suspension mods.

I don't think I can replace the sway bar links without jacking the jeep up to relieve the pressure on each side, but I know I shouldn't have to if everything was normal. Do I have a bent sway bar? Something else possibly wrong?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide. I'm obviously not a serious off-roader by any means, just love to take the jeep out every now and then and have some fun. Ready to get it back out there!
Old 04-22-2017, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The links should have been disconnected and by not doing so, you've destroyed the stock links. Pull them out and put the JKS on there. If you get into the position where you may have some front end articulation then remove the links before proceeding. Simple and you're back out on the trail.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:31 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ewaJK
I don't think I can replace the sway bar links without jacking the jeep up to relieve the pressure on each side,
Maybe I'm missing it in the pics, but what pressure? Is something keeping you from just grabbing either end and lifting until the sides are roughly parallel to the frame/ground?
Old 04-23-2017, 02:41 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Maybe I'm missing it in the pics, but what pressure? Is something keeping you from just grabbing either end and lifting until the sides are roughly parallel to the frame/ground?
he flipped his swaybar so yes he is going to need to relieve some pressure either jack it up on one side until it frees up or remove one side of the sway bar via the brackets that connect it to the frame. this is a common problem on electric discos when the sway bar links are a bit too short.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:34 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, looks like your sway bar flipped. This is why we advocate complete suspension kits instead of leveling kits and simple spring/coil kits, because even though they "work," they allow weird things like this to happen further down the chain.

Disconnect everything, flip the sway bar around and install the Quicker Disconnects following the instructions, adjust the links to give yourself about a 5* positive angle on the swaybar so you get a little extra droop out of them and you're good to go. Searching the thread, I couldn't tell if you're a Rubicon or not. If you're a Rubicon everything should be straight, that stuff doesn't tend to bend, if you have a standard sway bar it is possible to bend it. A mild bend isn't a huge deal, just adjust the links while the Jeep is level and run it, if you have more than an inch or so difference between the two sides, then it's time to hit the junk yard and score a new bar.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the help, fellas! I'll let you know how it goes!

Quick Reply: Broken sway bar link, possibly more? Thanks for any advice you have for the fix!