JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Broken sway bar link, possibly more? Thanks for any advice you have for the fix! (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/broken-sway-bar-link-possibly-more-thanks-any-advice-you-have-fix-341791/)

ewaJK 04-22-2017 05:26 PM

Broken sway bar link, possibly more? Thanks for any advice you have for the fix!

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 670742Attachment 670743Attachment 670744

I broke my driver's side sway bar link while wheeling last weekend. I bought the JKS quicker disconnects to replace both links, but I am worried something else might be broken. The driver's side is sagging lower than the passenger side, and the sway bar relative to the other suspension components looks out of place. In the first two pics, you can see the drivers side (with the broken link removed), which has the sway bar down by the tie rod. On the passengers side (second pic), the sway bar is resting on the pitman arm. Third pic is one I grabbed off of the internet showing how things should look.

I have a TeraFlex leveling kit which gives a little bit of lift, but no other suspension mods.

I don't think I can replace the sway bar links without jacking the jeep up to relieve the pressure on each side, but I know I shouldn't have to if everything was normal. Do I have a bent sway bar? Something else possibly wrong?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide. I'm obviously not a serious off-roader by any means, just love to take the jeep out every now and then and have some fun. Ready to get it back out there!

karls10jk 04-22-2017 08:08 PM

The links should have been disconnected and by not doing so, you've destroyed the stock links. Pull them out and put the JKS on there. If you get into the position where you may have some front end articulation then remove the links before proceeding. Simple and you're back out on the trail.

nthinuf 04-22-2017 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by ewaJK (Post 4289777)
I don't think I can replace the sway bar links without jacking the jeep up to relieve the pressure on each side,

Maybe I'm missing it in the pics, but what pressure? Is something keeping you from just grabbing either end and lifting until the sides are roughly parallel to the frame/ground?

jadmt 04-23-2017 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by nthinuf (Post 4289807)
Maybe I'm missing it in the pics, but what pressure? Is something keeping you from just grabbing either end and lifting until the sides are roughly parallel to the frame/ground?

he flipped his swaybar so yes he is going to need to relieve some pressure either jack it up on one side until it frees up or remove one side of the sway bar via the brackets that connect it to the frame. this is a common problem on electric discos when the sway bar links are a bit too short.

Trail Jeeps 04-24-2017 08:34 AM

Yup, looks like your sway bar flipped. This is why we advocate complete suspension kits instead of leveling kits and simple spring/coil kits, because even though they "work," they allow weird things like this to happen further down the chain.

Disconnect everything, flip the sway bar around and install the Quicker Disconnects following the instructions, adjust the links to give yourself about a 5* positive angle on the swaybar so you get a little extra droop out of them and you're good to go. Searching the thread, I couldn't tell if you're a Rubicon or not. If you're a Rubicon everything should be straight, that stuff doesn't tend to bend, if you have a standard sway bar it is possible to bend it. A mild bend isn't a huge deal, just adjust the links while the Jeep is level and run it, if you have more than an inch or so difference between the two sides, then it's time to hit the junk yard and score a new bar.

ewaJK 04-24-2017 10:24 PM

Thanks for all of the help, fellas! I'll let you know how it goes!