Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget improvements

Old 04-07-2017, 11:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget improvements

Okay, so I'm completely new in the Jeep world after leaving the diesel scene. I've always liked a jeep and after deciding to get married and lose the big truck payment and try and be responsible I decided to get something I could still enjoy so I went with the wrangler! My only thing is now I am trying to be responsible and keep my warranties and not blow all my money on modifications lol. So if anybody could let me know some cheap or free diy modifications to upgrade looks or performace that won't void my warranty or that I can take back off without the dealership knowing. I know I would love to do 35s without having to lift. And could I do spacers on the stock wheels to make room for everything? And have people cut the stock fenders to narrow them and make more room? I look forward to any ideas or suggestions!
Old 04-08-2017, 02:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have a 2 or 4 door? I installed 4 door springs on my 2 with a leveling kit. Just a Teraflex leveling kit with spacers you can run up to a 34 some run 35 with wheel adapters.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Depending on your current gear ratio running 35's will cause the Jeep to be a bit sluggish.

As for cheap or diy mods there are tons you can do and a search on youtube will help. I have seen other Jeepers cut their stock fender flares. Here is a link to a lot of what you are asking to do.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...ite-ups-42710/

Here is a link to some FAQ that most new Jeep Owners have: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...bie-has-18617/

And most important is if you run into a hiccup just hit us up and we will assist.

R/
Will
Old 04-08-2017, 07:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a great thread for all sorts of cheap ideas.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...d-done-125817/
Old 04-08-2017, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys! I have a 4 door, and I checked, it has the 3.21 ratio. The dealership had 33s on it when I test drove it and it felt okay, I didn't expect it to be anything like I've owned previously lol. And I also heard that it takes a little bit for it to receive all the power it actually produces?? So I don't know if 35s would be a good idea, but I thought if I could fit them and be able to make enough room for them by cutting the fenders I could gain myself some ground clearance and be able to have some fun without a lot of money or voiding my warranty. But I don't really know what wheel and tire combos will give me the look I'm looking for. I love the narrow fender look with a wide stance from the tires.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

35s and no lift are completely doable. trim your fenders or get flat fenders and wheel spacers if you are not going to buy new wheels when you get tires. After you drive around you may want a re-gear. When I was in Montana I had this setup with a trail dash programmer (I had the 3.8L with 4.10 gears) and out wheeling it worked great. When I hit the interstate going up hill with a head wind... not so much. But I hear great things about the 3.6L. I like the stubby bumper mod, made my own hood latches (no more flutter), made a DIY SPOD for later modifications like lights and a compressor. I would say while decked out jeeps are awesome, don't fall into the trap right off the bat of just modding the piss out of it. You can save your self some money that way. Also there is a "regret" forum around here somewhere. Thats a pretty good read to learn from others mistakes.

If you are going to wheel it, see what it can do stock. Add tires and see what it can do, add lockers and see what you can do and so on... If you start off with a premium lift, lockers, 37s with bead locks, and you wheel like me there isn't going to much of a challenge, "let me just idle up over these obstacles"... wee... fun... vs.. "dear lord baby jesus, if I get through this I promise to be a better man". Just my two pennies. heres a look at what no lift and flats look like.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3380.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	670005
Old 04-09-2017, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by chemlight_ninja
"let me just idle up over these obstacles"... wee... fun... vs.. "dear lord baby jesus, if I get through this I promise to be a better man."
That's exactly how I wheel. Also saying "please don't let this cost me too much to fix!!"

Last edited by tompat01; 04-09-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:59 PM
JK Newbie

It is my daily but I want to enjoy some moderate off-roading when I can. If I kept the stock sport wheels what adapter size should I use to make sure everything has room to articulate the best? I like the wider look anyways, I also seen a lot for fender delete that I just think looks awesome to me, and then I won't have to worry about fender clearance lol. I think that would be a great start for me.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:59 PM
JK Newbie

Oh and is that 35s you have pictured with the flat fenders??
Old 04-09-2017, 08:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

From what I have heard, don't add 35s unless you are ready for to spend much more (truss, gears etc). Personally I would suggest investing in a winch if you want to add something to your Jeep. You don't need 35s to do some fun trails. Air down your tires, disconnect your sway bars and your stock Jeep is ready for some wicked trails. I see you're from Kentucky, check out the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway. Its a great connection of scenic trails in the Red River Gorge area. I've done most of it in my 2dr with 32s.

Quick Reply: Budget improvements