Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget tailgate fix ordered. Mor/Ryde hinges and MBRP re-inforcment.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jscherb
Yes, the tailgate hinges are available at Retrofit Offroad. I don't speak for Retrofit, but I would imagine they'll be carrying the door hinges as well when they're released.

I'm waiting to hear from the window company that the windows are ready for production; the installation kit is ready for production so just waiting on the windows. According to my contact at the window company, they've done the engineering on the frame and made and tested a prototype and the glass was due in from their glass plant any day now so they can assemble a final preproduction window for me to approve.
YES!! Thanks fer the update..really excited! I've been checkn around for a used JK hardtop. I'm going to try your modular conversion. You've laid it out so well I actually think I can do It! Anyhow, I'll keep ya posted if I find one. Thx again!!
Old 08-01-2017, 02:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 2qik2see
YES!! Thanks fer the update..really excited! I've been checkn around for a used JK hardtop. I'm going to try your modular conversion. You've laid it out so well I actually think I can do It! Anyhow, I'll keep ya posted if I find one. Thx again!!
If you do decide to do the modular conversion, don't hesitate to contact me with any questions you might have along the way - I'm happy to help.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do decide to do the modular conversion, don't hesitate to contact me with any questions you might have along the way - I'm happy to help.
Thx jscherb..I'll definitely do that!
Old 08-03-2017, 06:32 AM
JK Super Freak

When the company sends me a set of the new door hinges to test I'll build prototypes of some accessory ideas for them. Probably the first one I'll do is a step for accessing loads on a roof rack. The ones that are currently on the market use a narrow bent metal step, but I think I'll use a wider fold-down step like the one shown below.

Here's another idea that's possible, this one wasn't my idea but I did compose the image below. Don't know if this is an idea worth pursuing.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:54 PM
JK Super Freak

I've been thinking more about accessorizing the new door hinges. Here's a few new ideas...

Or a universal mounting grid like this one I did a while back for the tailgate hinges:

Old 09-05-2017, 04:56 PM
JK Super Freak

On the way to Colorado for some trail time; today I stopped at MORryde in Elkhart, Indiana and picked up a preproduction set 8 of the new HD Door Hinges (a full set for a JKU) for testing. While there I snapped this cell phone shot of a set on one of their test Jeeps. Hardware isn't final, this set is installed with hex-head stainless bolts but may do blackened stainless button head allen screws for production.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:42 PM
JK Super Freak

One of the stops I always make on my way to Colorado is the huge Iowa 80 truck stop ("Worlds Largest", or so they say). Stopped there today and picked up two folding steps to build a prototype with the new HD hinges. They're pictured here with one of the preproduction hinges:

There are two ways I can mount them - one way is to make a mounting bracket so that it can hold either one step...

... or two:

And the bracket can be designed so that it can also mount on the HD tailgate hinges:

Or, with a simple adapter plate (not shown), they could be mounted directly to the hinge, eliminating the bar between the hinges.

Opinions on either approach welcome.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those hinges are amazing. Finally got around to installing them and now the tailgate is moving as smooth as butter. The million dollar question is what are the torque specs for the bolts. I don't want to overtighten them nor do I want them getting loose....
Old 09-15-2017, 01:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kejtar
Those hinges are amazing. Finally got around to installing them and now the tailgate is moving as smooth as butter. The million dollar question is what are the torque specs for the bolts. I don't want to overtighten them nor do I want them getting loose....
The factory service manual torque specs for the tailgate hinges:

Tailgate Hinge To Body Bolts - 19ft-lbs
Tailgate Hinge To Tailgate Bolts - 15ft-lbs
Old 09-15-2017, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The factory service manual torque specs for the tailgate hinges:

Tailgate Hinge To Body Bolts - 19ft-lbs
Tailgate Hinge To Tailgate Bolts - 15ft-lbs
Thanks! I'll tighten to spec - don't want them to be too loose

- edit -
Thanks again for the specs - I was a tad loose on 9 of the 10 bolts Looks like my wrist based torque wrench needs adjustment

Last edited by kejtar; 09-15-2017 at 09:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Budget tailgate fix ordered. Mor/Ryde hinges and MBRP re-inforcment.