Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget tailgate fix ordered. Mor/Ryde hinges and MBRP re-inforcment.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:16 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I run stock wheels (with stock tires) as well as the pintler with a 35" and I don't have any issues with the stock tires. The pintlers needed small pvc extensions to touch the tires. I also had a 37*13.5 on the back and it needed pvc extensions. 285/70-17 with the MB Mickey Thompson look-a-like wheels also needed the extensions.

What's your wheel combo that's causing the interference?
Old 05-22-2018, 03:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Cride
Anybody else run into an issue where the rubber spare tire bumpers are too long? I just installed the hinges and the reinforcement kit and when I tried to install the spare, it would not even come close to going on because of the bumpers. I had to remove them to get the tires installed. I have a stock wheel with a 285/75 Nitto Ridge Grappler tire.
The tailgate reinforcement doesn't change the relationship between the surface where the spare mounts and the surface where the tire snubbers mount. Some tire/wheel combinations require trimming or extending the snubbers regardless of whether the reinforcement is installed or the tailgate configuration is stock.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jscherb
The tailgate reinforcement doesn't change the relationship between the surface where the spare mounts and the surface where the tire snubbers mount. Some tire/wheel combinations require trimming or extending the snubbers regardless of whether the reinforcement is installed or the tailgate configuration is stock.
To be perfectly correct what I should have said was that if the stock tire carrier is being used with the reinforcement then the tire sidewall will be slightly closer to the snubber than it will be with the MORryde HD spare carrier. Using the stock carrier it is possible that with a wide tire the snubber may need to be trimmed slightly. The difference is about 1/2", so in most cases the snubber will compress enough but if it doesn't it can be trimmed a little.
The following users liked this post:
Cride (05-23-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 09:00 AM
JK Super Freak

A couple of weeks ago I posted that I was making HD hood hinges to match the HD tailgate hinges and HD door hinges. Since I've got some extra HD door hinges from MORryde here - the hood hinges are based on those, all I had to do was make the body side of the hinges.

I finished making the hinges today... haven't painted them yet, I'll do that next and then I'll install and test them. Here's a photo of the pair alongside a factory hinge. One of the hinges is shown disassembled - these use factory door hinge nuts and by removing the nuts the hood can be slid off the hinge pins and removed just like the doors, providing great access to the engine compartment if engine work is to be done.

Last edited by jscherb; 05-27-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Link to MORryde HD Hinge at Exterme Terrain

Looks like a affordable upgraded hinge option.. Be sure to paint the (unpainted) area behind the OEM hinges when removed, to prevent rust/corrosion behind your new upgraded hinges. We did that on our Terraflex/Mopar OEM upgraded hinge system.

This is the MORryde link talked about in this forum thread https://www.extremeterrain.com/barri...s-j102515.html

================

Predating the MORryde hinge option/availability, we went with the Terra Flex/Mopar hinge system over a year ago, on the wife's 2017 JKU Rubicon Recon in the photo. It has the Terraflex HD Hinged Carrier Hi-Lift Jack Mount accessory. It has provisions for an anti-theft pin-lock.

BTW, the OEM radio antenna tip is ~1/2" higher than the top of the Hi-Lift Jack top as an easy-to-use clearance indicator.

Pax Rear Quarter 2017 JKUR Recon Mopar 2" lift, 35's,and Terra Flex Hinge with Hi-Lift adapter.assembly

Originally Posted by jscherb
The HD tailgate hinges are now available at Extreme Terrain.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Hood hinges painted and ready for installation. A factory hinge is in the photo for comparison.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:30 PM
JK Super Freak

A testament to the strength of the MORryde tailgate reinforcement... I was rear-ended while waiting at a stoplight this afternoon. I think the woman who hit me ws distracted by her cell phone because she instantly got out of the car and had the phone in her hand. The bike and bike rack I had on the back were destoyed and pushed into the spare:

Here's the damage to her car after the police had her back up a foot or two:

No real damage to the Jeep - the tailgate is fine and works properly. The hitch is angled up slightly, it can probably be bent back to level with a long enough lever.

It was my brother-in-law's bicycle, I was borrowing it while I'm here in Florida visiting mom. I've already talked to the woman's insurance company and they will pay for a replacement bike and bike carrier.

I sent these photos to MORryde to show them how well the tailgate reinforcement did, and they replied:

Press release

MORryde Tailgate Reinforcement beats up on SUV!
I think he was kidding, I don't think they're doing a press release .
Old 06-19-2018, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I just purchased these from my local trailer shop. They definitely feel way better than the stock hinges holding my 33” tire. I hope you worked a royalty deal. Nice products man.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats quite the hit Scherb. That would be a good pic and tag line for MORryde though.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New hinges installed!

Just installed a set of the tailgate hinges this weekend on my son's '08. He has 33s on steelies and the weight had really caused a rapidly escalating failure of the OEM parts. They were extremely well designed and well made and easy to install. Would have taken under an hour if I didn't have to wait for the paint to dry, and of course that's a 2x wait because you can't do both at once. The grease fittings are a win, and I'm happy to report silence after installation. So silent that it allowed me to hear all of the other rattles and squeaks... (sorry about the picture orientation - they won't stay flipped or in the order I want them!)

Quick Reply: Budget tailgate fix ordered. Mor/Ryde hinges and MBRP re-inforcment.