Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget tailgate fix ordered. Mor/Ryde hinges and MBRP re-inforcment.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have installed mine almost a year ago and the rubber stopper/bumper pieces that are on the end are falling appart now. Is there anything that should be done tonprevent overextension of the hinge?
Old 09-11-2018, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I never had the rubber pieces, instead added a stainless washer under the head of one of the hinge bolts to act as a stop.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by kejtar
I have installed mine almost a year ago and the rubber stopper/bumper pieces that are on the end are falling appart now. Is there anything that should be done tonprevent overextension of the hinge?
The rubber pieces are not stops, they're to prevent damaging the powder coat when the taiglate side of the hinge contacts the tub side of the hinge when fully open. They can be replaced with any similar rubber channel, or you can contact MORryde and I'm sure they'll bve happy to send you replacement rubber pieces.

There is an optional additional stop you can get from MORryde, it's included with the tailgate reinforcement kit but not with the hinges; it's needed with the reinforcement kit but not usually with just the hinges. If you want one of the optional stops you can ask MORryde to send you one, it looks like this:

But as karls10jk said, a washer under one of the screw heads on the body side of the hinge will also serve as a stop if you want to restrict the opening of the tailgate a bit more.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so a dumb question - why isn't the reinforcement included with just the hinges?
Old 09-11-2018, 12:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kejtar
so a dumb question - why isn't the reinforcement included with just the hinges?
The MORryde tailgate product line consists of several separate products, all of which can be used together or separately:

- HD tailgate hinges
- Tailgate Reinforcement, which adds additional strength to the tailgate to carry heavy spares and gear
- HD spare carrier, which replaces the factory spare carrier. It's stronger, and positions the spare higher so larger spares can clear the factory bumper.
- Other options are also available, such as a bracket for carrying a HiLift or a Rotopax container on the hinges.

If you mean to ask why the optional stop isn't included with just the hinges, it isn't necessary - the hinges are designed so they stop at an appropriate point, no extra stop is necessary. The stop is required with the tailgate reinforcement because the reinforcement slightly changes the geometry of the swing of the tailgate as it opens and without the stop the tailgate could open too far, stressing the factory tailgate stay rod that's standard on later models. If someone wants their tailgate to stop at roughly 90 degrees rather than opening a little further, and they have just the hinges installed, they can install the optional stop (or a washer as described earlier); MORryde can be contacted about getting the optional stop.

In this photo the HD hinges, tailgate reinforcement and HD spare carrier are installed:

In this photo only the hinges are installed:

Old 11-04-2018, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Jeff, is Ryan still the POC over at MorRyde? I installed the washer as a stop and it has been working but now it's started to munch at the end of the hinge and is going further than I'd like it to go.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Jeff, is Ryan still the POC over at MorRyde? I installed the washer as a stop and it has been working but now it's started to munch at the end of the hinge and is going further than I'd like it to go.
Contact Austin Conrad, he'll either help you himself or get the right person to help you (Austin.Conrad@morryde.com).

The best stop for the hinges is the MORryde stop I posted about here: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...5/#post4328461, you can get them from MORryde. They are included with the full tailgate reinforcement kit but not with the standalone hinges since they're most often not needed with just the hinges alone.

The hinges on my JKU are from MORryde's very first production run, they've been on there over 3 1/2 years with the reinforcement and stop and they still look great - so good that when MORryde borrowed my Jeep last week for the SEMA Show, we decided that the hinges looked so good they'd have the Jeep in the show with the original 3 1/2 year old hinges.

These are few shots from the SEMA Show, MORryde was showing the hinges and tailgate reinforcement as well as the new Overland Rack that mounts to the tailgate (scheduled for release this month) and the Trail Kitchen.

Not bad for a daily driver with 135,000 miles on it .
Old 11-04-2018, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

That's right, Austin took care of me last time. Thank you, I'll be contacting him as I've got all 3 tailgate pieces as well as the jack mount. I saw the rack and the trail kitchen on their site this morning, the rack is on the wish list if I ever get to venture west to Moab.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
That's right, Austin took care of me last time. Thank you, I'll be contacting him as I've got all 3 tailgate pieces as well as the jack mount. I saw the rack and the trail kitchen on their site this morning, the rack is on the wish list if I ever get to venture west to Moab.
This photo was taken yesterday about 60 miles west of Moab. We're driving from Las Vegas to Asheville, NC for the Overland East event and stopped at an overlook in the Utah desert to take a break.

Quick Reply: Budget tailgate fix ordered. Mor/Ryde hinges and MBRP re-inforcment.