Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget tailgate fix ordered. Mor/Ryde hinges and MBRP re-inforcment.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a link to these they can share please?
Old 05-21-2015, 01:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Necro
Does anyone have a link to these they can share please?
The HD tailgate hinges are now available at Extreme Terrain (Barricade Wrangler Heavy Duty Tailgate Hinges JP54-003 (07-15 Wrangler JK) - Free Shipping)

Last edited by Ryan0260; 05-22-2015 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jscherb
The HD tailgate hinges are now available at Extreme Terrain (Barricade Wrangler Heavy Duty Tailgate Hinges JP54-003 (07-15 Wrangler JK) - Free Shipping) and Gr8Tops (JK HEAVY DUTY REPLACEMENT TAILGATE HINGES | GR8TOPS).

I can now also report that the HD/large spare carrier and the tailgate reinforcement I showed earlier in the thread have been picked up for production and will be available this summer.
Thanks!
Old 05-21-2015, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

The HD tailgate hinges are now available at Extreme Terrain (Barricade Wrangler Heavy Duty Tailgate Hinges JP54-003 (07-15 Wrangler JK) - Free Shipping) and Gr8Tops (JK HEAVY DUTY REPLACEMENT TAILGATE HINGES | GR8TOPS).

I can now also report that the HD/large spare carrier and the tailgate reinforcement I showed earlier in the thread have been picked up for production and will be available this summer.
Can you post any details on the HDR/large tire carrier??
Old 05-21-2015, 05:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jtlr
Can you post any details on the HDR/large tire carrier??
Sure. There are two components - a tailgate reinforcement and a HD/large spare carrier. They can be installed together or each can be installed alone depending on your needs.

Tailgate reinforcement: Prevents the tailgate from flexing due to the weight of the spare. Because flex is prevented, it eliminates tailgate damage such as spot welds breaking (common on an unreinforced tailgates with heavier spares). Requires the HD hinges. A direct bolt-on to factory bolt holes, no drilling. Works with the factory bumper or aftermarket bumpers.

HD/Large spare carrier: Installs either with the tailgate reinforcement, or directly on the factory tailgate without the reinforcement. A direct bolt-on replacement for the factory carrier. Has two mounting positions, in the low position it will support up to a 37" spare; the higher position is about 1.5" higher so will support even larger spares. Includes an adjustable stalk that accepts the factory third brake light; can be adjusted from stock height up to above the largest spare that would fit.

Both the reinforcement and the HD/large spare carrier are installed in this photo which I posted earlier. Over 275 lbs. is on the spare carrier and tailgate in this photo, which is probably more than twice what the heaviest spare that might be carried on it might weigh.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Awesome Jeff,

Quick question, do you think I need the carrier for a 33" tire with a vector rack on it for gas/accessory carrying? or the stocker handle it? I know I need the reinforcement. Also, DO you put anything inside the tailgate? I am asking because if you do, I may return the MBRP gate brace I have, and wait for yours....
Old 05-22-2015, 02:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Kojack
Awesome Jeff,

Quick question, do you think I need the carrier for a 33" tire with a vector rack on it for gas/accessory carrying? or the stocker handle it? I know I need the reinforcement. Also, DO you put anything inside the tailgate? I am asking because if you do, I may return the MBRP gate brace I have, and wait for yours....
The 2013 JK owners manual states:

If you have added aftermarket accessories to the spare tire mounted carrier, it cannot exceed a gross weight of 50 lbs (23 kg) including the weight of the spare tire.
The manual doesn't clarify whether that's the weight rating of the cast magnesium factory spare carrier, the weight rating of the tailgate, or both, so we can't get much guidance from the manual on your question.

I believe most 33's should just fit above the stock bumper on the stock tire carrier, so it isn't a question of whether the HD spare carrier is needed because of fit, it's a question of weight and stress.

If you search the web, you can find some reports of the stock magnesium tire carrier cracking, but you'll find far more reports of spot welds in the tailgate separating, suggesting that the tailgate is the weaker link than the factory spare carrier.

Based on all the reports of tailgate spot weld issues, if you plan to carry extra weight like fuel on the tailgate, you need to reinforce the tailgate, and not with something that only reinforces only the spare carrier bolt area, but with something that prevents tailgate flex - tailgate flex is what stresses the individual spot welds and causes them to break. Something like the Teraflex unit or the one I've designed will prevent the flex problem.

You'll find lots of posts out there where people say "I've been running 37's for 3 years with no problems", etc., and posts where people say they've had problems with 33's or even stock tires, so there's lots of information out there on both sides of this topic, but few factual and definitive answers because "it depends" - depends on the type of roads/trails you drive on, how you drive, how well your tailgate was spot-welded at the factory, whether the factory spare carrier is a perfect casting or might have a flaw, etc., etc.

Based on the most common failure - tailgate spot welds, you need to prevent tailgate flex if you're adding extra weight back there. Should you replace the cast factory spare carrier as well? This is just opinion, but personally I would - the price of failure on the highway could be very high. I'm sure there will be lots of other opinions out there.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The 2013 JK owners manual states:

The manual doesn't clarify whether that's the weight rating of the cast magnesium factory spare carrier, the weight rating of the tailgate, or both, so we can't get much guidance from the manual on your question.

I believe most 33's should just fit above the stock bumper on the stock tire carrier, so it isn't a question of whether the HD spare carrier is needed because of fit, it's a question of weight and stress.

If you search the web, you can find some reports of the stock magnesium tire carrier cracking, but you'll find far more reports of spot welds in the tailgate separating, suggesting that the tailgate is the weaker link than the factory spare carrier.

Based on all the reports of tailgate spot weld issues, if you plan to carry extra weight like fuel on the tailgate, you need to reinforce the tailgate, and not with something that only reinforces only the spare carrier bolt area, but with something that prevents tailgate flex - tailgate flex is what stresses the individual spot welds and causes them to break. Something like the Teraflex unit or the one I've designed will prevent the flex problem.

You'll find lots of posts out there where people say "I've been running 37's for 3 years with no problems", etc., and posts where people say they've had problems with 33's or even stock tires, so there's lots of information out there on both sides of this topic, but few factual and definitive answers because "it depends" - depends on the type of roads/trails you drive on, how you drive, how well your tailgate was spot-welded at the factory, whether the factory spare carrier is a perfect casting or might have a flaw, etc., etc.

Based on the most common failure - tailgate spot welds, you need to prevent tailgate flex if you're adding extra weight back there. Should you replace the cast factory spare carrier as well? This is just opinion, but personally I would - the price of failure on the highway could be very high. I'm sure there will be lots of other opinions out there.
Gotcha. I am guessing that your carrier and brace will be close to the TF unit in price....I am still waiting on my damn hinges from my local dealer...ha ha.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Kojack
Gotcha. I am guessing that your carrier and brace will be close to the TF unit in price....I am still waiting on my damn hinges from my local dealer...ha ha.

Mine is designed so that it should retail for several hundred bucks less than the complete TF unit
Old 05-22-2015, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sure. There are two components - a tailgate reinforcement and a HD/large spare carrier. They can be installed together or each can be installed alone depending on your needs.

Tailgate reinforcement: Prevents the tailgate from flexing due to the weight of the spare. Because flex is prevented, it eliminates tailgate damage such as spot welds breaking (common on an unreinforced tailgates with heavier spares). Requires the HD hinges. A direct bolt-on to factory bolt holes, no drilling. Works with the factory bumper or aftermarket bumpers.

HD/Large spare carrier: Installs either with the tailgate reinforcement, or directly on the factory tailgate without the reinforcement. A direct bolt-on replacement for the factory carrier. Has two mounting positions, in the low position it will support up to a 37" spare; the higher position is about 1.5" higher so will support even larger spares. Includes an adjustable stalk that accepts the factory third brake light; can be adjusted from stock height up to above the largest spare that would fit.

Both the reinforcement and the HD/large spare carrier are installed in this photo which I posted earlier. Over 275 lbs. is on the spare carrier and tailgate in this photo, which is probably more than twice what the heaviest spare that might be carried on it might weigh.

]
Thank you

I will be waiting for this to hit the market!

Quick Reply: Budget tailgate fix ordered. Mor/Ryde hinges and MBRP re-inforcment.