Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bump Stop Question and RC 3.25 lift kit?

Old 02-19-2010, 07:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bump Stop Question and RC 3.25 lift kit?

I recently installed the RC 3.25 lift kit which is essentiallly 2.5 coil lift with .75 inch spacers. I instlled the RC shocks with this kit.

My question is do I need Bump stop extensions with this kit or not?

I wheel at least once a month, moderate stuff (Think Rausch Creek Blue trails, will try a low leve black once in a while).

I currently have the 32's rubi tires but will eventully go with 34 or 35s.

So do I need them and if so why and if I dont put them on what will happen? Can I get away without them for a while?

Some say the that RC shocks have built in Bump stops but I am still unsure. What do yall think?
Old 02-19-2010, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you going to be flexin like a fool, runnin quick discos, or is it a street queen?
To test the shock theory, compress them. Do they not compress fully?
Old 02-19-2010, 07:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Joisey
Are you going to be flexin like a fool, runnin quick discos, or is it a street queen?
To test the shock theory, compress them. Do they not compress fully?
This is my DD but it is NOT a street queen. I will be offroading at least once a month and during the summer 2 times a month. I will prob disconect on most outings.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

With 32" you'll be fine. When you put on the bigger tires it might be a good idea to add some bumpstop extensions then. I'm running a 4" RC with 35's and it's really close to rubbing when the shocks are bottomed out on the rubber pads.
I will probably be adding some 3" bumpstop extensions to my stock ones for the extra security.

Last edited by hammerhead; 02-19-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by hammerhead
With 32" you'll be fine. When you put on the bigger tires it might be a good idea to add some bumpstop extensions then. I'm running a 4" RC with 35's and it's really close to rubbing when the shocks are bottomed out on the rubber pads.
I will probably be adding some 3" bumpstop extensions to my stock ones for the extra security.
Is the tire hitting the fender the only concern? Is it possible for damage without the bump stops to other areas other than the fender?
Old 02-19-2010, 12:40 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper
Is the tire hitting the fender the only concern? Is it possible for damage without the bump stops to other areas other than the fender?
Bumpstops also keep your coils and shocks from over-compressing.

Stacking the coils can damage them. And if the shocks bottom out before the coils, then they are acting as the bumpstops which will, umm, not be good for them...
Old 02-19-2010, 12:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by planman
Bumpstops are to keep your tires out of your fenders, avoid overcompressing the shocks, and avoid overcompressing the springs.

You won't need extended bumpstops to keep your tires out of your fenders/flares until you go larger than 33s.

The RC shocks come with built-in bumpstops to stop the shocks from bottoming out.

It is possible that you will need extended bumpstops to prevent your coils from overcompressing.

With RC springs having a reputation of sagging, and with their somewhat recent change switching from progressive to normal springs, it would be interesting to know how much--if any--overcompression of springs has contributed to their problems.

I would at least disconnect your swaybar links and completely flex your suspension to your bumpstops--front and rear--to test if the springs are overcompressed. If they are, I would add extended bumpstops. You will need them if you go with 35s to keep your tires out of your fenders/flares anyway.

This may be a stupid question, bear with me, how do you know they are overcompressed? What is the consequense of overcompresion?
Old 02-19-2010, 02:09 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper
This may be a stupid question, bear with me, how do you know they are overcompressed? What is the consequense of overcompresion?
Fully-compressed

Same coil with 2" lower bumpstop

One note here - I talked with OME's senior design engineer down in Australia concerning both of those pics and the need for bumpstops. He indicated that even though those coils are 'designed' to not be damaged from fully stacking, he suggested that I should run the bumpstops anyway...

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-19-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

The built in bumpstops on you're shocks will keep the springs from over compressing and the shocks from bottoming out. The thing to watch for with bigger tires 34-35 is rubbing the inner fender when at full flex. When mine is flexed with the shock bottomed out on the bumpstop it doesn’t rub but it sure looks really close.

Quick Reply: Bump Stop Question and RC 3.25 lift kit?