Can a Rubi front Tru-Lok be installed in a rear X D44 axle housing and work?

Can a Rubi front Tru-Lok be installed in a rear X D44 axle housing and work?

JK Newbie

Default Can a Rubi front Tru-Lok be installed in a rear X D44 axle housing and work?

A buddy of mine gave me a front Tru-Lok from his Rubi ...... Question is can I install it in my JK X rear diff and it work (after I figure out how to wire it up)?

Quote Originally Posted by bkelly View Post
    A buddy of mine gave me a front Tru-Lok from his Rubi ...... Question is can I install it in my JK X rear diff and it work (after I figure out how to wire it up)?
    The factory e-locker?

I think so. Front is 30 spline on the Rubi, and the Sport rear is 30 spline. So theoretically yeah, should work fine.
    2015 JK - 99" wheelbase, trussed/locked 44's, 4.56 Yukon, RCV's, Factory Ten Chromos, Warn PowerPlant, VKS sliders, Genright carrier, CC frame chop bumpers, EVO rock skins, RR snorkel, and all the other useless popular knick knacks

Pretty sure the Rubicon rears are 32 spline.

JK Jedi Master

The center sections of the housings are different. While the front rubi and rear non-rubi both use 30 spline shafts, the rear non-rubi housing is designed for any 'standard' locker, and the rubi housings are designed specifically to fit that factory locker. (If you look at any of the aftermarket d44's, they will state whether the particular housing is for standard lockers, or a 'rubi 44 e-locker'.

Way back when, I remember a detailed post from one guy that did a bunch of custom work and got a rubi locker to function in a non-rubi housing --> but he said it wasn't worth the time and effort. If he were to do it again, he'd just buy a arb instead.
    Last edited by nthinuf; 06-16-2017 at 01:58 PM.

JK Enthusiast

Also the rear axle shafts are different lengths on the Rubicon compared to the non Rubicon shafts

JK Newbie

Just found that other thread ...... I might have to change my plans ......

JK Newbie

Yes, it can bolt in but will require special axle shafts. Stock Sport 30 spline shafts will not work. The differential centerline is different than a conventional diff.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger 5 View Post
    Yes, it can bolt in but will require special axle shafts. Stock Sport 30 spline shafts will not work. The differential centerline is different than a conventional diff.
    You don't mention the difference in the carrier bearings.
    08 Rubicon Unlimited
    Auto Transmission

JK Newbie

My mistake- I missed the X-housing 44 rear.- The bearings are the same if bolted into a Rubi housing but there is no conversion bearing to allow the front or rear electric locker to fit in the X or Sport rear housing.
    Last edited by Digger 5; 06-16-2017 at 05:12 PM.