Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't shake this idea.. shaker hood.. can it be done?

Old 03-19-2015, 07:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't shake this idea.. shaker hood.. can it be done?

I can't get this idea out of my mind. Throw darts at this idea so I can kill it.
I don't like snorkels because 1. Im not going to do deep deep water anyways, and 2., i guess i just don't like what they look like draped up the side of the hood and up the windshield. However, I do want to move the air inlet up a few more inches and back to improve water entry angle.. The only times I've come close to ingesting water are entering streams. In my mind, I'm picturing either a Ford mustang/mach 1 style as it would offer abit of lip to keep any water from streaming in if the hood went under, or 2. possibly a transam style rear facing which protect in a different manner. I have the newer engine, so conceptually I want to replace the plastic engine cover with the shaker hood mechanism and run an inlet down to a sealed snorkel box in the current inlet location. Of course Id want to make sure all the proper drains and baffles are in place to prevent water entry.. And yes, i do know of the rugged ridge snorkel which i have also consider.. but.. because shaker hood..

OK lob away..
Old 03-19-2015, 08:30 PM
Former Member

I'd buy one so fast you'd think a muscle car just passed but no Mach 1 or TA hood gotta have a cuda or challenger style after all it is a mopar

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 03-19-2015, 08:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karmynsbeep
I'd buy one so fast you'd think a muscle car just passed but no Mach 1 or TA hood gotta have a cuda or challenger style after all it is a mopar Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
I agree except for two reasons. 1. The cuda style has a ramp leading up to the entry ports. Thought this would funnel water potentially. 2. It's really big compared to the other ones. And because the jeep hood doesn't go all the way to the windshield, it would need to sit pretty far forward. But yes,it should be a cuda style
Old 03-19-2015, 11:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check out the Teraflex build with the shaker hood.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:26 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

Can it be done? Yes. Should it be done? If you want it, yes. In my opinion, if you put it high enough on the hood, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that would be awesome.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

A quick google image search churned up an example of one on the wrangler forums.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:42 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	J6ohxHN.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	679552

Yes it can be done.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:45 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TeraFlex

Yes it can be done.
There you go Mark. Another $20k to get it installed and be CA compliant and it's yours! Plus you get the 392 oomph as an accessory
Old 03-20-2015, 10:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DJ1
There you go Mark. Another $20k to get it installed and be CA compliant and it's yours! Plus you get the 392 oomph as an accessory
damn it.. it looks so damn sexy too.. Are there any under hood shots? ill try out my google image skills later..

Quick Reply: Can't shake this idea.. shaker hood.. can it be done?