JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Centerforce clutch nightmare, ExtremeTerrain screening reviews and "banned" me (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/centerforce-clutch-nightmare-extremeterrain-screening-reviews-banned-me-346766/)

prothjk 06-12-2018 09:18 AM

Centerforce clutch nightmare, ExtremeTerrain screening reviews and "banned" me

In March 2017 I ordered a Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch Kit. I paid a transmission shop to install it until June, and within 1,000 miles I was having serious issues with it. The car was rolling in 1st and reverse with the clutch peddle completely depressed on a lift. After ruling out the hydraulics, we dropped the transmission (again) and send the clutch back to Centerforce. Although it was beyond their time period of returns, they found an issue with the pressure plate and send me a brand new one which was very helpful of them.

After installing the assembly again with the new pressure plate, I was getting a lot of "creeking" in my hydraulics. Centerforce actually has a blog post about them investigating it and I would call every few months to ask for an update and was basically told there's nothing they would do.

Centerforce Performance Clutch Blog | BW@centerforce | Centerforce Clutches Investigation into the Jeep ...

A few weeks ago my the hydraulics failed inside the clutch assembly and I had to pay a third time to drop the transmission. I decided to go back to a stock clutch to avoid this Centerforce issue altogether.

I decided to login to ExtremeTerrain, leave an honest, negative review on the clutch. A month later it was still not "approved". I contacted them by chat support and asked them if my review was going to get approved anytime soon and they responded with a generic response about it pending. A few weeks later, I contacted them via chat again and asked them why they were screening my review.

After that, any time I try to login to my account I receive a generic error message saying "whoops something went wrong". I created another account in the same browser using a VPN service and was able to access my dashboard fine. I contacted customer support via the phone today and they guy was "baffled" and said no one else had called about the issue and it seemed to be isolated to just me.

TLDR: I paid upwards of $1,000 for a Centerforce clutch on ExtremeTerrain. It was defective, I had to pay three times to drop my transmission, and the clutch failed within 10,000 miles anyway which bled me of ~$4,000. Left a bad review on ExtremeTerrain and now I cannot access my account anymore. In the past 3 years I've spent >$5,000 on their website.

resharp001 06-12-2018 09:57 AM

Bought one item from them years ago....Tuffy underseat storage drawer. Pulled it out of the box and it was scratched/dented in a few places.....and the packaging wasn't damaged at all. There is NO way anyone packing that in a box could have NOT noticed the damage. Have never and will never buy anything from them again.

No reason anyone should be restricted from leaving an honest product review, negative or otherwise. I understand screening maybe for fake reviews from someone who is pissed off at a company, but it sounds like you had the backup to leave a thorough review. Sorry to hear that.

Rednroll 06-12-2018 11:12 AM

Sorry to hear about your experience. That sounds like it really sucks. For all those troubles and costs, I'm sure you could have had a new trans built and installed which makes it all that more frustrating.

So far the only review system I have any trust in, are the reviews on Amazon, which seem good, aside from what seems like fake ones on certain products. Amazon, has likely forced all these other online sources to implement a review system. However, they seem to think they're smart by screening and not posting negative reviews, but too dumb to realize that they can't control the internet, and we will seek other sources to let the truth be told. So thanks for sharing, I've heard many other poor experiences form those that have purchased items from ET. Apparently, in a lot of cases you're just happy if you even receive the item at all.

In a way, I know how you feel in regards to the review frustrations. I "used" to think Harbor Freight reviews were legit, since I've purchased multiple items over the years where we all know things can be hit or miss at HF. I've posted negative reviews, as well as positive reviews on the HF website and seen them all posted. Recently I submitted a review that wasn't posted after submitting it multiple times. I've been considering posting a YouTube video, showing and calling out their non legit reviews.

So anyways, I purchased this "Bauer" 1/2in 20V impact wrench from HF a few months back.
https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-hy...nly-63629.html

If you go look at the reviews on their site, it shows 4.9 stars with the lowest review being 3 stars. That single 3 star review, I would say was the most accurate one I read....which also had a HF follow up comment saying "you need the higher capacity battery to remove lug nuts", therefore putting doubt in people reading the review, that the customer bought the wrong battery. I wrote up a 1 star review since I felt it's posted torque specs are a lie. It says it is able to deliver 450Ft-lbs of torque. I will tell you, it will not even budge my lug nuts which are torqued to 110ft-lbs using a brand new fully charged Bauer 20V 3.0Ah battery pack (the most powerful pack they sell and the one they recommend.) In fact, the reason I purchased it was to replace the $40 Chicago Electric corded 1/2in impact wrench I purchased from HF, which is rated at 230Ft-lbs of torque and has worked good for the price. So get this....the 230Ft-lb $40 Chicago electric 1/2in impact is able to take off my lug nuts with no problem, the 450Ft-lb 1/2in Bauer which I paid $100, so I could use it instead and not have the cord to be troubled with can't. I tried to write a detailed 1 star review on 2 separate occasions to let others aware, and it was very polite and mentioned the details above of comparing it to the lower torque Chicago Electric. It NEVER got posted after 2 separate attempts. Obviously, HF is trying to fool people into thinking their Bauer branded tools are better than they actually are and aren't accepting negative reviews for that brand.

So word to the wise.....Harbor Freight reviews can't be trusted, and thanks for letting us know ET's can't be as well. Word of mouth is still the most powerful tool for us to avoid bad purchase situations.

resharp001 06-12-2018 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rednroll (Post 4323158)
So far the only review system I have any trust in, are the reviews on Amazon, which seem good, aside from what seems like fake ones on certain products.

Not to get off topic, but I even check Amazon reviews on www.fakespot.com these days due to the amount of written reviews that receive compensation. Quick handy site I've used for well over a year now just to double check.....especially when I'm debating between two or three similar products.

Rednroll 06-12-2018 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by resharp001 (Post 4323163)
Not to get off topic, but I even check Amazon reviews on www.fakespot.com these days due to the amount of written reviews that receive compensation. Quick handy site I've used for well over a year now just to double check.....especially when I'm debating between two or three similar products.

I use that site as well, especially when the review counts are low. Those kinds of reviewers are lazy. "Works Great!!"....not very helpful.

T&ERun 06-13-2018 04:07 AM

Schlieko 06-13-2018 10:43 AM

I feel your pain on Centerforce. Put one in my JK in 2014. Right out of the shop, it was giving me problems. Very hard to shift at times. I just got used to it since I did not want to drop the transmission again. At 40K miles, the clutch started to go. I happened to be close to Prescott, Arizona so I had the clutch replaced within a couple miles of Centerforce. They even sent a tech over to inspect the work as it was being done.

Left the shop. Second Centerforce clutch was worse than the first. Would get grinding, hard shifts, clanking. Called Centerforce. Went by their office. This is what really gets me. Centerforce disengaged hoping I would just go away. I wasn't angry. I just needed their help. I haven't seen this approach to customer service in a very, very long time. Usually, they are all over you -- for no other reason than they don't want you posting to a Jeep forum that their products suck!

Brought it back to Colorado and took it to a dealer (Boulder) that I really, really trust. They insisted I pull the clutch out. Called me twice. I did it. Stock clutch in and smooth as butter. I talked directly to the mechanic and he told me R&D was expensive on clutches and Centerforce had just not made the necessary investment. He said they would back me up if I wanted to call Centerforce and try to get a refund. Second Centerforce clutch was in Jeep for less than 2 months.

I totally understand that everything aftermarket may not work out. Part A can impact part B. Part of the joy/territory of owning a jeep. What really got me? Lack of Centerforce support. I have had 30 minute calls with vendors who did not sell me a thing, but gave me incredible advice.

Sorry a little off topic. But know someone will do a Centerforce search and see this thread. Wanted to pass along my story,

Ajkaz 06-15-2018 06:49 AM

I refuse to shop with Extreme Terrain because of their dishonest pricing practices. Take a look at the MSRP of nearly any item on their website, they have inflated them above actual MSRP and well above market price to show a perceived discount on every item they sell, when in actuality they are selling at or above MSRP. For this reason alone, I do not trust them as they are lying before I even put something in my cart...

gpmech7 07-29-2018 03:25 PM

My factory clutch grenaded at 14K out at Gorman. I did a lot of research of replacement clutches, ended up buying an OEM replacement.
After getting the OEM clutch and seeing all of its inherent weakness I gave it to a friend as a spare.
I ended up buying a SPEC 2+ clutch and haven't had any problems since. Going on 78K now.
It is a lot stiffer than OEM, gets a little tiring in traffic but I have more confidence in it than the OEM one.

This was back around 2010-2011 timeframe...centerforce had the same squeaking and failure complaints back then too.
I was surprised to read that people are still having to go through this.:disappointed:

Francis1989 08-21-2018 03:36 AM

I'm glad to have come across this thread. I thought I was the only one having issues with my centerforce clutch. I bought it after my stock one grenaded also. I saw it had good reviews and there wasn't much of an option for the 3.6. I've gotten used to the clutch being difficult. Hard to get into first and reverse, I have to play around with 3rd before I can get it into reverse or 1st. I just thought it was the trans linkage. Also I can hear the linkage on the pressure plate scraping in neutral or when the clutch is slightly depressed. I just hope it'll last longer than the OEM one.

HashSlingingSlasher 01-05-2019 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Schlieko (Post 4323231)
I feel your pain on Centerforce. Put one in my JK in 2014. Right out of the shop, it was giving me problems. Very hard to shift at times. I just got used to it since I did not want to drop the transmission again. At 40K miles, the clutch started to go. I happened to be close to Prescott, Arizona so I had the clutch replaced within a couple miles of Centerforce. They even sent a tech over to inspect the work as it was being done.

Left the shop. Second Centerforce clutch was worse than the first. Would get grinding, hard shifts, clanking. Called Centerforce. Went by their office. This is what really gets me. Centerforce disengaged hoping I would just go away. I wasn't angry. I just needed their help. I haven't seen this approach to customer service in a very, very long time. Usually, they are all over you -- for no other reason than they don't want you posting to a Jeep forum that their products suck!

Brought it back to Colorado and took it to a dealer (Boulder) that I really, really trust. They insisted I pull the clutch out. Called me twice. I did it. Stock clutch in and smooth as butter. I talked directly to the mechanic and he told me R&D was expensive on clutches and Centerforce had just not made the necessary investment. He said they would back me up if I wanted to call Centerforce and try to get a refund. Second Centerforce clutch was in Jeep for less than 2 months.

I totally understand that everything aftermarket may not work out. Part A can impact part B. Part of the joy/territory of owning a jeep. What really got me? Lack of Centerforce support. I have had 30 minute calls with vendors who did not sell me a thing, but gave me incredible advice.

Sorry a little off topic. But know someone will do a Centerforce search and see this thread. Wanted to pass along my story,

Exactly why im here. Found this through a search. Purchased my Center force from Amazon in September 2017. Worked ok for a couple months, installed all new hydraulics, even bought a brand new factory transmission (for syncro problems and the crappy shift fork design). Still have disengaging problems, worse when cold out. Literally have to kill the engine to get in reverse and pretty much first. Now i feel very confident its the clutch. On a budget right now, so I will purchase a factory clutch and not replace any other related parts, then will report my experience. Might be a few weeks before I install though.
Thank you all for posting

kressley 02-02-2019 05:26 PM

Starting to feel a little comfort now...Sort of....
I put a Centerforce dual Friction in my JKU a few months ago. Broke it in just as the instructions said. I babied this thing for 500 miles to make sure I had no issues. It drove like a dream. Easy pedal not hard on your leg. I replaced a Spec 2+ that got ruined when my slave cylinder decided to take a crap on me. I had squealing all the time. I believe either the TOB was shot, or fluid on the clutch and enough was enough..

Then out of the blue I got a call from my wife who said she couldn't get it into first gear and was stuck down the street. Thought great, now what? Went down and sure enough couldn't get it into 1st so I turned it off, shifted to first started back up and brought it home.

Worked on this darn thing for weeks replacing the slave cylinder, master cylinder bleeding it for hours and nothing seemed to work. Bought the third slave cylinder direct from Jeep thinking it was the chain box stores bad product. Actually helped a little, but still is hard shifting first and reverse. Then came the jumping out of 1st gear.
I was convinced the tranny was going out on me. Decided to put a B&M shifter on it after hearing the shifters in the JK's may wear out too. Has not jumped out of first gear for weeks since I put the B&M in it, not once!.

Now after hearing your stories, I may have changed my mind about spending the cash for another tranny, and maybe go with another clutch setup instead.

These things are no fun pulling out and putting back in, I'm just lost about what will actually fix the hard 1st and reverse situation. New Tranny or clutch.
I don't think I'll go back to Centerforce.

Jason

karls10jk 02-03-2019 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by kressley (Post 4335433)
Starting to feel a little comfort now...Sort of....
I put a Centerforce dual Friction in my JKU a few months ago. Broke it in just as the instructions said. I babied this thing for 500 miles to make sure I had no issues. It drove like a dream. Easy pedal not hard on your leg. I replaced a Spec 2+ that got ruined when my slave cylinder decided to take a crap on me. I had squealing all the time. I believe either the TOB was shot, or fluid on the clutch and enough was enough..

Jason

Jason,

Any particular reason you didn't go back to a Spec 2+? I have a Spec 1+ and it works well with the exception of slipping. It does not like being slipped at all like the factory would be ok with. I'm always looking for new info/ input from other owners because I know I'll end up doing another clutch. CF is out but I'm not sure if I'd do another Spec or go with factory. My TOB with them didn't last long either.

HashSlingingSlasher 02-03-2019 06:48 AM

I have installed clutches from Audi’s to Peterbuilt and never had a problem. I will be going to an OEM style soon for sure. And will post the results. So i wont get too negative on Centerforce yet. Since the install of a Centerforce clutch, I’ve had issues though. Tried all new hydraulics, factory new transmission (junk by the way), bleeding the hydraulics many times. Im pretty confident replacing the clutch will end my frustration. My JKU is a 2007 Rubicon Ripp supercharged with 105,000 miles. Today i will be replacing lower intake and valve cover gaskets. All this to just milk it until I can afford a self installed Hemi swap. Hopefully next weekend i can install the clutch, i will most likely use a “LUK” from EBay, I believe they are the same as OEM from the research I’ve done. Hope you all have good luck with your repairs and please report your results. I will do the same.

kressley 02-03-2019 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by karls10jk (Post 4335437)
Jason,

Any particular reason you didn't go back to a Spec 2+? I have a Spec 1+ and it works well with the exception of slipping. It does not like being slipped at all like the factory would be ok with. I'm always looking for new info/ input from other owners because I know I'll end up doing another clutch. CF is out but I'm not sure if I'd do another Spec or go with factory. My TOB with them didn't last long either.

A few reasons really.
1) Spec customer service. When I called them about the squealing from the clutch they pretty much blew me off saying they've never heard of the issue described before. But again after I searched using keywords of the issue I was having, it seemed it WAS a known issue.
That gave me a bad taste about Spec, but at this point I would consider the Spec+2 again. I really liked it aside from the problem I had that forced me to pull it. And to be honest I can't definitely say the problem with my Spec was TOB or/if there was brake fluid on the clutch surface. I was just mad I was pulling it out within 3 years of putting it in.
2) I was not confident is a luk or factory holding up to 35's and heavy bumpers. My wife slips the clutch a lot, and felt the aftermarket solution would hold up better.
3) Initial reviews I read about Centerforce being good
4) Price between Spec & Centerforce.

Really this is the way I found this post. Searched keywords about the issue I was having, and it's the first time I found others having the exact same issues.

I might even go with a luk this time. I replaced the flywheel with a factory when I installed the Centerforce and all the hydraulics have been replaced since the Centerforce issues.
Only thing I can do at this point is tear it apart again. But I want to have the replacement clutch in hand before I do.

Now that I know others have had the same issue, I'm going to call Centerforce tomorrow to see what they have to say.

I really don't know what clutch I will go with next yet, but forking over $$$ again and again may get me to go with LUK this time.

kressley 02-03-2019 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by HashSlingingSlasher (Post 4335447)
I have installed clutches from Audi’s to Peterbuilt and never had a problem. I will be going to an OEM style soon for sure. And will post the results. So i wont get too negative on Centerforce yet. Since the install of a Centerforce clutch, I’ve had issues though. Tried all new hydraulics, factory new transmission (junk by the way), bleeding the hydraulics many times. Im pretty confident replacing the clutch will end my frustration. My JKU is a 2007 Rubicon Ripp supercharged with 105,000 miles. Today i will be replacing lower intake and valve cover gaskets. All this to just milk it until I can afford a self installed Hemi swap. Hopefully next weekend i can install the clutch, i will most likely use a “LUK” from EBay, I believe they are the same as OEM from the research I’ve done. Hope you all have good luck with your repairs and please report your results. I will do the same.

Definitely report back next week. I'll be watching. Seems we both have done all the same things around this Centerforce clutch and still getting the same results. Mine's a 2008 with only about 65k and looks like I'll be on my 4th clutch soon.
Only reason I changed out my original factory was because I installed a rebuilt tranny to solve the popping out of first gear, oh and the clutch sounded like a tambourine too. But it worked.

To anyone that has the popping out of first gear, I recommend considering the B&M shifter before replacing the clutch and tranny. So far this has solved my popping out issue.

Jason

kressley 02-04-2019 07:16 AM

Spoke with Centerforce this morning explaining my issue with 1st and Reverse.
He said the issues I and some of you described did not sound like a Clutch issue. He asked if I had trouble in any other gears and I said no, so he pointed to that as a factor that eliminates it being a clutch issue. But I pointed out I can shift into other gears driving without using a clutch if I had to. (not that I do) and he said true.

He then pointed to the shifter could cause the issue, and I pointed out I have a new B&M shifter and was having the same issue with the stock shifter as I am now with the B&M.
He then pointed to the pilot bearing possibly being an issue. I said it was a new pilot bearing factory installed in the new flywheel from Jeep. He said it could have been damaged at install. I guess?

All the things he said sound 'reasonable', but I just can't point my finger to why after 5 months of shifting perfectly it would all of a sudden be hard shifting into first and reverse. The clutch install is the only X factor in this equation.
He didn't have an answer for it.

I'm reluctant to buy a new clutch if it's a transmission issue. I'm reluctant to source a used/rebuilt transmission if its a clutch issue.

One thing I thought about last night....I still have the Spec+2 sitting in the garage. I didn't throw it out.
What if I put that back in??? Any thoughts? Worst I would loose in this scenario is time pulling the trans 2 more times. At least I would see the condition of the Centerforce, the pilot bearing, flywheel, TOB etc and could rule out the Clutch as the issue if the problem persists with the Spec....

harley97 02-20-2019 08:36 PM

I bought a Centerforce Clutch from Amazon in February 2018, installed it in March and it started making noise and hard to get into 1st and reverse within a month. I contacted Centerforce and they offered to fix it if I brought the Jeep to them. I drove it out there last week and they replaced the clutch and found the problem. Their clutch was good, TOB was good, hydraulics were good. The problem was the shift fork and the ball the shift fork sits on. Both were worn, which allowed the TOB rattle and make noise. It was very obvious what the issue was when it was all apart. They replaced everything at no cost to me. Great customer service and standing behind their product. They even bought the new shift fork, ball, and sleeve for the shaft that the TOB sits on. If you are having clutch issues after replacement, I would suggest replacing the shift fork and ball, they dont look very worn, but made a huge difference. My clutch works great now. Already have put over 500 miles on it and its smooth and quiet.

kressley 02-21-2019 12:45 AM

But you said they replaced the clutch too...

I went as far as changing the trans last weekend. Changed all those internals too thinking the same thing, pivot ball and fork worn out. Guess what... Different trans and internals and I have the SAME issue. What a waste of time and money. I should have just pulled the garbage CF clutch when I was in there, now I have to pull it all apart again AND I will be throwing that clutch in the trash.

My guess they put a new functioning clutch in yours and threw your old one in the trash. Hope it lasts longer for you.
I bought mine from Amazon too, did you tell them that?
It's my daily driver so I can't pull the clutch, send it to them and wait.

Do you know if they extended the pivot ball per the jeep TSB?

Originally Posted by harley97 (Post 4336649)
I bought a Centerforce Clutch from Amazon in February 2018, installed it in March and it started making noise and hard to get into 1st and reverse within a month. I contacted Centerforce and they offered to fix it if I brought the Jeep to them. I drove it out there last week and they replaced the clutch and found the problem. Their clutch was good, TOB was good, hydraulics were good. The problem was the shift fork and the ball the shift fork sits on. Both were worn, which allowed the TOB rattle and make noise. It was very obvious what the issue was when it was all apart. They replaced everything at no cost to me. Great customer service and standing behind their product. They even bought the new shift fork, ball, and sleeve for the shaft that the TOB sits on. If you are having clutch issues after replacement, I would suggest replacing the shift fork and ball, they dont look very worn, but made a huge difference. My clutch works great now. Already have put over 500 miles on it and its smooth and quiet.

MrChuckles 02-21-2019 12:54 PM

Thanks for the heads up!

kressley 02-23-2019 04:15 PM

CONFIRMED!!!! CF clutch was the issue. Just got finished installing a Spec 2 in the JK. Back to shifting smooth as silk again.

CF has issues. The flywheel had weird marks from what looks like the clutch dragging around the perimeter of the clutch disc. The fingers of the pressure plate were at different depths, and the weights seemed like they were not moving smoothly on the pressure plate fingers.

The CF clutch has been a nightmare, but it looks like it's behind me now.
I will be contacting CF to see if they want it back to check it out, but I'm sure they already know they have issues with this system. It doesn't look like they all have problems, but the one I received definitely did.

Good luck to everyone else.

harley97 03-25-2019 06:00 PM

I did tell them I bought it from Amazon. They had pics and video of everything they did from start to finish. They also showed me the new and old parts. It was obvious the fork and pivot ball were the issue.

I didnt know about the extended pivot ball TSB, but I do know they purchased the pivot ball and clutch fork from the Jeep dealer.

Mine is also my daily driver, luckily they are about a 4 hour drive from where I live, so I took a little trip.

jplks2play 04-26-2019 05:14 AM

Wow. Im glad to see that I am not crazy. I have bled my slave cylinder a bunch of times. I purchased mine from a different vendor. I got the kit with fly wheel and TOB. Did the break in period as recommended. It is a pita to get my jeep into 1st and reverse. Also 4th 50% of the time. Spent a g for nothing. My jeep is a 2016 and the dealer had changed my clutch twice. The 2nd being because they dropped a bearing in my tranny. So I changed to CF clutch. And it is horrible. With normal shifting it will smell. Like it is dragging and not releasing. I will be putting a oem back in soon.

kressley 04-26-2019 07:15 AM

I wouldn't hold off too long. It can't be good for the gears grinding and forcing the trans into 1st and reverse.
I like driving my jeep again since going to the Spec.

I got a great Amazon CSR who agreed to accept the clutch back as a return and got all my money back.

trail fox 05-08-2019 08:50 AM

I also have a Centerforce clutch kit same issue with 1st and reverse being a PIA to get in to gear. I have spoke with C-force 2 separate times, The guy I first spoke to said they had never had a complaint about this issue and it was likely my transmission,slave or clutch master cylinder going bad. I replaced the clutch master and slave cylinder and didn't get any better. I spoke to a different guy a CF and he said if i had the Clutch removed and sent to them they could inspect it..... I don't have a couple weeks for my jeep to sit taken apart while they inspect it and likely wont do anything about it or they will say its driver's error....So I bought a OEM clutch kit and hope to have it installed this weekend as i have put off now 3-4 months. I have had a Centerforce clutch in my old mustang which was decent/ no issues but I will Never by another CF product again!

kressley 05-08-2019 10:39 AM

Same exact scenario. You'll love that oem clutch once you get it installed and 1st and reverse back​​​​​​.

Good luck

Maknatash 03-04-2023 07:00 AM

Each person has their own concept of good service. For example, I liked the VeePN service, look at here now . The work of this application - I am completely satisfied. It has no ads, it works stably. A connected icon appears on the screen, which means that you are already online and can access your favorite sites.